Anyone Else Concerned With Unemotional Play?

King of the ES*

You don't think the Canucks have scouts in BC as well as around the world?

Of course, but you're going off-topic. The point is that the Canucks would have more exposure and access to the guys that are playing in Vancouver. If that weren't the case, why do they want their AHL team to be in Abbotsford so badly?

And to the guy who said that Gallagher would be in Chicago - I doubt it. The guy's got 23 points in 37 games on the East's second best team. He's a standout, and he'd be equally standing out in the Canucks' system. Brendan Gallagher would not lose an NHL spot to an Andrew Ebbett, a Jordan Schroeder, a Nick Jensen, or any of the other band-aids that have occupied this team this season. Wouldn't happen.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I would agree with this, we need to let our emotional players play with emotion. They are key pieces that not only play better when they are into the game, but also raise the energy of the entire team and can significantly change the momentum of the game with a big play. I think the players are there, we just need to let them play their own way imo

There's a difference between playing with emotion and talking **** between the whistles. Gillis wanted to minimize between the whistle antics, he never wanted to minimize emotion.

King of the ES*

There's a difference between playing with emotion and talking **** between the whistles. Gillis wanted to minimize between the whistle antics, he never wanted to minimize emotion.

Yes, absolutely. "Yappy Lappy" is not needed to come back. That just pisses off the other team and makes them want to beat us even more.

Being aggressive and assertive does not mean being annoying. Big difference.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Of course, but you're going off-topic. The point is that the Canucks would have more exposure and access to the guys that are playing in Vancouver. If that weren't the case, why do they want their AHL team to be in Abbotsford so badly?

GMs have little influence on fifth rounders, that is on the scouting staff. Everyone has sufficient scouting of the WHL. Everyone knew who Gallagher was and chose not to pick him before the Habs did. Yes, we missed him, but so did everyone else. You are acting like everyone doesn't scout the WHL!
We don't have some advantage because we are in Vancouver

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Yes, absolutely. "Yappy Lappy" is not needed to come back. That just pisses off the other team and makes them want to beat us even more.

Being aggressive and assertive does not mean being annoying. Big difference.

Are you seriously suggesting agitating the other team doesn't work? Most teams do have agitators because they are effective in making the other team lose focus. If their players are going out of their way to try make a big hit on Lapierre, then he is doing his job.

TheDiver*

...and criticizing the Canucks for not taking Gallagher or Lucic because they played here, is like criticizing the Boston bruins for not drafting Schneider.

The Red Wings have drafted just one WHLer in an early round in recent years and that was Landon Ferraro.

King of the ES*

Are you seriously suggesting agitating the other team doesn't work? Most teams do have agitators because they are effective in making the other team lose focus. If their players are going out of their way to try make a big hit on Lapierre, then he is doing his job.

No, it does not work when guys like Burrows and Kesler flop all around the ice and Lapierre is just running his mouth while not hitting anyone.

The problem with the "annoying" strategy is that eventually they'll need to answer the bell. And then a guy like Andrew Ladd drops a guy like Ryan Kesler again.

There's a big, big difference between imposing your will on another team and being annoying. The former being far more effective than the latter.

King of the ES*

...and criticizing the Canucks for not taking Gallagher or Lucic because they played here, is like criticizing the Boston bruins for not drafting Schneider.

The Red Wings have drafted just one WHLer in an early round in recent years and that was Landon Ferraro.

Not trying to allow facts to destroy a good story, but the Red Wings have drafted 5 WHL players since 2009, which is 5 more than the Canucks have.

And in the year that Schneider was drafted 26th overall, Boston didn't have a pick until #63 - at which point they took David Krejci. Pretty good value, I'd say.

TheDiver*

And to the guy who said that Gallagher would be in Chicago - I doubt it. The guy's got 23 points in 37 games on the East's second best team. He's a standout, and he'd be equally standing out in the Canucks' system. Brendan Gallagher would not lose an NHL spot to an Andrew Ebbett, a Jordan Schroeder, a Nick Jensen, or any of the other band-aids that have occupied this team this season. Wouldn't happen.

Let me explain this in basic terms...

The Canucks do not own the Giants. They don't have "access" to the Giants...any more so than any NHL team. Geography is no barrier to scouting today. You can watch a player in Siberia (and they do). Hell someone found Chara living in a cave in a mountain and eating his siblings.

They would OWN their AHL team. It would be easier for logistics, staff, player transport, etc.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I love when people think that the WHL is some undiscovered country or something.

We are Vancouver, we must have super inside information that other teams don t have!
:sarcasm:

No, it does not work when guys like Burrows and Kesler flop all around the ice and Lapierre is just running his mouth while not hitting anyone.

The problem with the "annoying" strategy is that eventually they'll need to answer the bell. And then a guy like Andrew Ladd drops a guy like Ryan Kesler again.

There's a big, big difference between imposing your will on another team and being annoying. The former being far more effective than the latter.

When did I mention diving? Im saying in that scrum after the whistle the guy that gives a little extra shot or chirping someone on the other team that is fustrated in hopes that they will retaliate. There are players that elevate themselves when games get chippy. Lapierre being one of them imo.

TheDiver*

Not trying to allow facts to destroy a good story, but the Red Wings have drafted 5 WHL players since 2009, which is 5 more than the Canucks have.

And in the year that Schneider was drafted 26th overall, Boston didn't have a pick until #63 - at which point they took David Krejci. Pretty good value, I'd say.

So is 5 your quota? Of those 5, only 1 was a first rounder, and none play in the NHL. If 1 pick is an "embarassment" what's 5? An abomination?

And in my opinion, Boston had an advantage. Using your logic, they should draft every player in the NHL draft who comes out of Europe, because as the Easternmost NHL city geographically, they are technically the closest.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
If they felt no team would take him, why would they? I'm not saying that's the case but you're speaking with unwarranted certainty.

You're not going to have a clue who other teams plan on selecting in the middle to late rounds of the draft. If the Habs thought Gallagher was a gem they wouldn't have passed on him twice in the 4th rd IMO.

For every Brendan Gallagher there's countless other undersized point producers that can't make that jump to the NHL. Talking about him like he was some blue-chip prospect that the Canucks overlooked is preposterous, at best.

King of the ES*

So is 5 your quota? Of those 5, only 1 was a first rounder, and none play in the NHL. If 1 pick is an "embarassment" what's 5? An abomination?

And in my opinion, Boston had an advantage. Using your logic, they should draft every player in the NHL draft who comes out of Europe, because as the Easternmost NHL city geographically, they are technically the closest.

Yeah, that's quite the logical link. Comparing two teams that play in Downtown Vancouver is clearly closely related to comparing Boston to teams on another continent. Nice job with that one.

And the Canucks haven't even had 1 since 2009; as I said, they haven't taken anyone. Your claim was that Landon Ferraro was the only WHLer that had been taken by Detroit recently, so I just decided to counter your claim by presenting the correct account of reality.

TheDiver*

Yeah, that's quite the logical link. Comparing two teams that play in Downtown Vancouver is clearly closely related to comparing Boston to teams on another continent. Nice job with that one.

And the Canucks haven't even had 1 since 2009; as I said, they haven't taken anyone. Your claim was that Landon Ferraro was the only WHLer that had been taken by Detroit recently, so I just decided to counter your claim by presenting the correct account of reality.

You said the Canucks were an "embarassment" for their lack of players from the WHL.

Not the CHL as a whole. Just your precious WHL.

I just don't see the logic.

And the Giants don't play downtown.

This logic that the Canucks should draft Giants, the Seahawks should draft Washington Huskies, and all the illogic that flows from it could drive a crazy man nuts.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
You said the Canucks were an "embarassment" for their lack of players from the WHL.
Problem with the Canucks (at least in the past) was how awful/medicore they've drafted in the whole of Canada - forget just the WHL (they seemed to be as bad in every region in Canada).

Gradin, while not a genius - looks that way in comparison to many of our amateur scouts (again, in the past - too early to make judgements in the last few years).

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013

:laugh: So thats what happens when you poke the bear, that vid is filled with the big bad burin take of your gloves and try sucker punch the other guy before he can get his gloves off trick, cept Carolina kept there gloves on and drew a penalty.

Sad thing is what marchand did in that game, got him a 10 min misconduct, but in the playoffs, he dose worse and gets nothing, most of that shtick will get not a second look in the playoffs.

Also have to mention the homer Edwards, if I wanted to get amped up for a game, then 5 min listening to him would do it.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Sorry, that doesn't make it right.

He's right down the road from the Canucks. They should certainly keep a closer watch on guys who are playing for the Giants.

no they shouldn't. they should keep a closer eye on every chl team, or none

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Not sure if anyone else is watching the MTL/TOR game, but it is thus far pretty incredible. Kadri's acting like the second coming of Scott Stevens out there, and the other shining star is Brendan Gallagher, who I still hope has cost at least one territorial scout of ours his job.

Both teams are chirping, hitting, battling, and it's just intense. I, for one, am concerned that we virtually never see this type of performance by the Canucks. It's like they're deliberately trying to lull their opponents to complacency on most nights. Which may be reasonable during the regular season, but, as we all know, the intensity gets turned up many notches in the playoffs. I have a hard time thinking that this team will be able to adapt, much like we weren't able to last year. The year before was a little different, and we didn't really have that problem.

Anyone else agree?

I'm more concerned with the loosey-goosey defense pretty much every game...

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
Canucks play chicago in the second last regular season game. I expect some emotion, there. If they come out flat, I'll adjust my playoff expectations drastically.

Yeah that's my view.

Plus there's something to be said for being the frontrunner the last few years.
Everyone else sees the Canucks as a test & gets up for them. While the Canucks are just trying to get the W & move on.

There aren't many games in a season the Canucks consider a test, but they do tend to be entertaining games with lots of emotion.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
It's pretty hard to manufacture emotion when you're playing teams like the Flames and Oilers who are, for the most part, just going throu the motions. I'm not worried about them getting up for bigger and better teams. Canucks are a veteran squad, they know what's required to win the post season, it's just a matter of doing it and staying healthy.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It's pretty hard to manufacture emotion when you're playing teams like the Flames and Oilers who are, for the most part, just going throu the motions. I'm not worried about them getting up for bigger and better teams. Canucks are a veteran squad, they know what's required to win the post season, it's just a matter of doing it and staying healthy.

Will this still be the case when we show up lame against Chicago at the end of the season? I can see now, people will write it off to it being the second to last game of the season and suggesting that the Canucks are looking forward to their first round matchup instead.

I seriously question this teams leadership. I don't think the Sedins are great leaders, and I don't think we have many others in the dressing room who can step up either.

King of the ES*

Will this still be the case when we show up lame against Chicago at the end of the season? I can see now, people will write it off to it being the second to last game of the season and suggesting that the Canucks are looking forward to their first round matchup instead.

I seriously question this teams leadership. I don't think the Sedins are great leaders, and I don't think we have many others in the dressing room who can step up either.

Nah, I don't think there's anything wrong with the Sedins' leadership. The issue is that they're largely surrounded by a bunch of mild-mannered and well-behaved gentlemen, guys like Raymond, Higgins, Roy, Hamhuis, Edler, Garrison, Tanev, Ebbett/Schroeder, etc., etc. Bieksa's a known spot-picker around the league. Guys like Burrows & Hansen play hard, but I wouldn't think that they're very hard to play against. They don't hit. Kassian's typically on another planet during most games. Kesler's really our only guy with some legitimate and consistent grit to his game in our top-nine that I can think of.

That's exactly why a Ryane Clowe and/or a Raffi Torres should've been acquired. A loud, brash, SOB like either/both would've had a serious effect on this team IMO.

Don't blame the Sedins' leadership, blame a lack of leadership/foresight from our management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad