Anyone Else Concerned With Unemotional Play?

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Or they believed that Schneider was worthy of a first round pick and Edler was not?

Just because Edler turned out to be a steal in the third round doesn't mean that we thought we was a first round talent from the get go

Gradin was pushing very hard for him. Canucks traded up to get him before Detroit. In any case, there was only one way the Canucks would wind up with both players.

TheDiver*

Will this still be the case when we show up lame against Chicago at the end of the season? I can see now, people will write it off to it being the second to last game of the season and suggesting that the Canucks are looking forward to their first round matchup instead.

I seriously question this teams leadership. I don't think the Sedins are great leaders, and I don't think we have many others in the dressing room who can step up either.

I love how this team has been to 3 Stanley Cup finals, and every time there was a Western Canadian captain, we had "great leadership." But when a guy from Europe gets us there we don't give them credit.

Its our own xenophobia.

This team has had so much success over the past few years...one game away from a cup, President's trophies, etc. Yet according to some fans on this board, the coach is an incompetent moron, the team doesn't know how to draft, there is no leadership, and the team is too soft.

If that's the case, then this core must not be hockey players. They must be bloody miracle workers.

Ryan96

Mar 1, 2013
Vancouver
If we were playing the Hawks or the Ducks and there was no fight I would be worried. As of now, we are playing Calgary, Colorado, Phoenix and Edmonton and we are in a good spot in the standings. I'm not worried yet.

Alflives*

I love how this team has been to 3 Stanley Cup finals, and every time there was a Western Canadian captain, we had "great leadership." But when a guy from Europe gets us there we don't give them credit.

Its our own xenophobia.

This team has had so much success over the past few years...one game away from a cup, President's trophies, etc. Yet according to some fans on this board, the coach is an incompetent moron, the team doesn't know how to draft, there is no leadership, and the team is too soft.

If that's the case, then this core must not be hockey players. They must be bloody miracle workers.

I accept your arguments to a point. Henrick Sedin is an excellent captain, and the coaches have done well. However, the team (under Gillis) has not drafted well, or made (on balance) good trades. The core of this team was created by the previous regime.

Alflives*

If we were playing the Hawks or the Ducks and there was no fight I would be worried. As of now, we are playing Calgary, Colorado, Phoenix and Edmonton and we are in a good spot in the standings. I'm not worried yet.

Are you implying you have the utmost confidence the Canucks will make it to the second round, and play the Hawks or the Ducks?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Are you implying you have the utmost confidence the Canucks will make it to the second round, and play the Hawks or the Ducks?

Where is he saying that? All he's saying is the Canucks aren't getting up to play lowly teams. I agree with him, playing Colorado and playing Chicago is a completely different animal.

Alflives*

Where is he saying that? All he's saying is the Canucks aren't getting up to play lowly teams. I agree with him, playing Colorado and playing Chicago is a completely different animal.

That's not how his post reads. There is an implication the Canucks will move on to play in the second round.

Dado

Well if we weren't concerned about the lack of emotional and "truculent" play before, perhaps we should be now. Tambellini just got fired - enter "I built a playoff team in Toronto" Burke?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Well if we weren't concerned about the lack of emotional and "truculent" play before, perhaps we should be now. Tambellini just got fired - enter "I built a playoff team in Toronto" Burke?

They're expected to name MacTavish as new GM.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
That's not how his post reads. There is an implication the Canucks will move on to play in the second round.

No, he's talking about the 2 remaining regular season games against Chicago and Anaheim. If the Canucks come out flat in those games against teams they'll likely have to get through if they want playoff success, then it might be time to worry.

I can't fathom how you saw his comment as implying that the Canucks will make it out of the 1st round other than you're looking for an argument.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
If you thought about Burke-Keenan being a "shotgun wedding" - how would you describe a Lowe-Burke combo?

:laugh:

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
These games don't really mean anything, why do you think Vigneault is tinkering with the lineup so much? Here are some things we should be more concerned about than how the team looks in these games down the stretch (especially high-altitude matinees, for God's sake):

1. Staying healthy
2. Getting rested up
3. Finding the best lineup
4. Not showing potential playoff our playoff gameplan (why do you think the PP is so bad? It's some real black-ops ****).
5. Causing fans and media to freak out over "lack of emotion" and/or "you can't just flip the switch," because the goalie-controversy smokescreen is not working as well as it was and they need something new to distract the foolish.
6. Again, health and rest are more important than how these last few games go.
7. The actual games.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
so expending enormous amount of energy "looking like you are playing hard to please fans..

or working hard in a controlled way.....maybe pacing oneself(a bit) to get you through to playoffs............playing more conservativly on a team missing key players..or in and out of the lineup?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
4. Not showing potential playoff our playoff gameplan (why do you think the PP is so bad? It's some real black-ops ****).

i agree with everything but this. teams don't adapt to major power play systems in two weeks. it took the league 1.5 years to finally figure out the canucks system, and the current system is absolutely fine. execution has been the problem as of ~mid february.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
i agree with everything but this. teams don't adapt to major power play systems in two weeks. it took the league 1.5 years to finally figure out the canucks system, and the current system is absolutely fine. execution has been the problem as of ~mid february.

We will see come playoff time, if the first unit still has Daniel and Edler on the points I will admit to being wrong. I expect the coaches will throw some new wrinkles in there to mess with opponents' video scouting. Alternatively, I am just crazy.

Dado

Its our own xenophobia.

That's too easy an explanation to jump to, IMO. That '82 team had no business being anywhere near the finals. The '94 team caught lightning in a bottle with a fantastic mix of grittiness and sheer willpower.

The 2012 team fell short despite being a PT winner and having two Art Ross and one Selke on the roster. They had, by far, the most to work with, and rightfully deserve to viewed as the most disappointing of the three teams that made a run.

TheDiver*

That's too easy an explanation to jump to, IMO. That '82 team had no business being anywhere near the finals. The '94 team caught lightning in a bottle with a fantastic mix of grittiness and sheer willpower.

The 2012 team fell short despite being a PT winner and having two Art Ross and one Selke on the roster. They had, by far, the most to work with, and rightfully deserve to viewed as the most disappointing of the three teams that made a run.

That 1994 team was very good, they just had a disappointing season.

Also, they were a lot healthier than the 2011 team. If I remember correctly, the only injuries were Jiri Slegr and Dana Murzyn who later got healthier but remained a scratch. Linden played hurt as he had broken ribs.

That 2011 team was battered and bruised.

Alflives*

No, he's talking about the 2 remaining regular season games against Chicago and Anaheim. If the Canucks come out flat in those games against teams they'll likely have to get through if they want playoff success, then it might be time to worry.

I can't fathom how you saw his comment as implying that the Canucks will make it out of the 1st round other than you're looking for an argument.

Regardless of the original poster's intent, there is the question of the Canuck's lack of intensity. From the logic I read here the Canucks will be fine, waking up for the playoffs - providing they play Chicago or Aneheim (which requires winning in round one).

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Regardless of the original poster's intent, there is the question of the Canuck's lack of intensity. From the logic I read here the Canucks will be fine, waking up for the playoffs - providing they play Chicago or Aneheim (which requires winning in round one).

i think you might be reptilian. there is now question about your humanity (or lack thereof)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad