Anyone Else Concerned With Unemotional Play?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
^^^
I agree completely

There are many ways to play with emotion and fire outside of "extracurriculars".

True, but they aren't physical players, I was under the assumption that people were wanting the Sedins to get involved in the scrums and such that are so frequent in heated games.

nmain37*

On the flip side I have seen a ton of criticism towards the Sedins when they do engage in the "extracurriculars" in a game. People say that they have "lost focus" and should just play hockey. We shouldn't try to change our players, but rather better utilize the ones that preform in more emotional situations.

Exactly quit asking players to play out of their element. Bring back yappy lappy. So sick of AV neutering are players.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Saving our emotion for the playoffs? :dunno: Like others have said its tough to go over emotional in a game against a last place team unless it gets chippy.

No. We were all saying that last year. That they were just cruising for the playoffs and would magically flip a switch and play well.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Definitley a concern.. okay you get played by one crap team and steal a win fine. But to be constantly outchanced and not controlling the play vs bottom feeders is concerning. I thought this team learned that you can't just flip a switch?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
No. We were all saying that last year. That they were just cruising for the playoffs and would magically flip a switch and play well.

and it turned out that they were a decent team with a hobbled 2nd line centre and were down a superstar. factor in the fact that the kings were the most dominant team down the stretch by an enormous margin and you get a pretty reasonable conclusion even if the theory of 'saving their emotion' was correct

they didnt lose last year because they were emotionless, they lost last year because the kings were absolutely a superior team. there were plenty of smart people predicting the kings to win and they did

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
As long as we win in the playoffs who cares? This season has been awful, I struggle to watch the games. It's a short little crammed season, everyone was out of shape the first month and a half, and yeah the hockey has been awful, not just from us but around the league.

We'll see what type of emotion this group plays with in the playoffs, we're running out of chances with this core, Kassian and Schroder aren't taking this team anywhere it's up to these guys to make something happen really soon.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
and it turned out that they were a decent team with a hobbled 2nd line centre and were down a superstar. factor in the fact that the kings were the most dominant team down the stretch by an enormous margin and you get a pretty reasonable conclusion even if the theory of 'saving their emotion' was correct

they didnt lose last year because they were emotionless, they lost last year because the kings were absolutely a superior team. there were plenty of smart people predicting the kings to win and they did
Who had some luck (as many Cup winners do) along the way (eg., injury status of club).

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
I would agree with this, we need to let our emotional players play with emotion. They are key pieces that not only play better when they are into the game, but also raise the energy of the entire team and can significantly change the momentum of the game with a big play. I think the players are there, we just need to let them play their own way imo

I don't agree with this. The canucks have had their most success when they made Kesler and Burrows reign in their nonsense. They have won two presidents trophies and went to the cup final by trying to play without that emotion. I would rather the canucks attempt to get back to being a well oiled machine than play with misplaced emotion.

Hal 9000*

The New Years game last year against the kings was the turning point for me. They got completely ***** slapped and I said then, if they meet the kings in the playoffs, they're done. The Canucks were just unable to match the kings' emotion and physicality. Nothing has changed since then, and as long as people think its luck or sedin or Luongo as to why we lost- thingss will repeat this year.

JA

One thing we need to recall and be concerned about is that the team faced this same level of complacency at the end of last season. Most analysts claimed the Canucks were merely waiting for the playoffs to take the next level. They never did.

Hopefully, they can learn not to find themselves in the same rut this year. Complacency can hurt in all facets of life; once one begins to do less to achieve the same result, it becomes difficult to invest more effort into the task at hand. The coach is partially responsible for waking them up; if he's not doing enough, then they need to take it upon themselves to remain inspired.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
But unlike last year we will turn on the switch, Edler and Bieksa will be consistent, secondary playoff scoring will finally appear out of nowhere, Kassian will run guys over, AV will make smart match up decisions and adjust on the fly... and we will win the cup!

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
But unlike last year we will turn on the switch, Edler and Bieksa will be consistent, secondary playoff scoring will finally appear out of nowhere, Kassian will run guys over, AV will make smart match up decisions and adjust on the fly... and we will win the cup!

Not out of nowhere, out of a healthy Kesler, thats what he is there for

Hal 9000*

....and the refs will reward our honest/turn the other cheek style of play and actually penalize the other team, then we'll make 'em pay with our PP.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Canucks play chicago in the second last regular season game. I expect some emotion, there. If they come out flat, I'll adjust my playoff expectations drastically.

I hope Higgins is back for that game. It would be really nice to see him and Roy beasting vs. the Hawks. A nice preview for the Western Conference Finals. :naughty: I was concerned until how I saw this team played a few games ago with both Kesler and Roy in the lineup. I saw a team that was having fun and looked to have some real confidence. I just hope Higgins is healthy before the playoffs so this team can be flying once the playoffs start. I think they will bring it this time. A healthy Kesler is huge.

One thing we need to recall and be concerned about is that the team faced this same level of complacency at the end of last season. Most analysts claimed the Canucks were merely waiting for the playoffs to take the next level. They never did.

Hopefully, they can learn not to find themselves in the same rut this year. Complacency can hurt in all facets of life; once one begins to do less to achieve the same result, it becomes difficult to invest more effort into the task at hand. The coach is partially responsible for waking them up; if he's not doing enough, then they need to take it upon themselves to remain inspired.

Down the stretch last season, Dan Sedin was out with his concussion and Kesler was playing broken. This time we have both of them in the lineup.

Last edited:

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
We've taken 8 out of 10 points vs. Chicago and LA this year, and won our only game vs. Boston last year. So at least during the regular season, we can get the job done vs. rivalry teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad