Anyone Else Concerned With Unemotional Play?

King of the ES*

Not sure if anyone else is watching the MTL/TOR game, but it is thus far pretty incredible. Kadri's acting like the second coming of Scott Stevens out there, and the other shining star is Brendan Gallagher, who I still hope has cost at least one territorial scout of ours his job.

Both teams are chirping, hitting, battling, and it's just intense. I, for one, am concerned that we virtually never see this type of performance by the Canucks. It's like they're deliberately trying to lull their opponents to complacency on most nights. Which may be reasonable during the regular season, but, as we all know, the intensity gets turned up many notches in the playoffs. I have a hard time thinking that this team will be able to adapt, much like we weren't able to last year. The year before was a little different, and we didn't really have that problem.

Anyone else agree?

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Let's compare two teams who are in a historic rivalry and are battling for playoff positioning

with

A team with an essentially locked in position playing versus the likes of Calgary, Colorado, and Phoenix

yup:shakehead

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
A team that hasn't made the playoffs in the last 9 years and a team that was last in the East last year are both in a playoff position now and could potentially play each other in the first round. Oh, and they just happen to be in the two biggest hockey markets in the world and have been rivals for nearly a century now. These two hockey teams are playing a game where 2 points could potentially mean home ice in a playoff series.

Please tell me how that emotionally compares to a team that has won the last two President's trophies and a team that is last in the Western conference playing an afternoon game?

Condescending remarks aside, if anything the Canucks should probably work on being less emotional. Things don't tend to work out defensively when they play with their heart and shut down the brain (see Bieksa, Kevin).

King of the ES*

Please tell me how that emotionally compares to a team that has won the last two President's trophies and a team that is last in the Western conference playing an afternoon game?

I guess I was the only one who watched the "Redemption" snoozefest when Duncan Keith returned to Vancouver after concussing our best player.

Should there have been emotion in that game, or is that also too much to ask for?

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
I guess I was the only one who watched the "Redemption" snoozefest when Duncan Keith returned to Vancouver after concussing our best player.

Should there have been emotion in that game, or is that also too much to ask for?

Nobody should wish "injury redemption" on any player. Even if they concuss your best player. It's not ethical. Hockey is a sport, not a war. If hockey was solely about injuring your opponents, I'd agree, but it's not, it's about putting a puck into a net. We won that game, is that not satisfying redemption?

Last edited:

Hal 9000*

Not sure if anyone else is watching the MTL/TOR game, but it is thus far pretty incredible. Kadri's acting like the second coming of Scott Stevens out there, and the other shining star is Brendan Gallagher, who I still hope has cost at least one territorial scout of ours his job.

Both teams are chirping, hitting, battling, and it's just intense. I, for one, am concerned that we virtually never see this type of performance by the Canucks. It's like they're deliberately trying to lull their opponents to complacency on most nights. Which may be reasonable during the regular season, but, as we all know, the intensity gets turned up many notches in the playoffs. I have a hard time thinking that this team will be able to adapt, much like we weren't able to last year. The year before was a little different, and we didn't really have that problem.

Anyone else agree?

Well, I agree! I know/knew the other posters would marginalize the idea by suggesting that it's an over reaction on one game, when in reality it has been an issue for years.

I think it's a product of the society in which we live. Vancouver fans are quicker to turn on our tough players faster than anyone else that I've seen. We've gotton rid of Torres, Glass and Rome since the SC run and many would like to be rid of Bieksa. I think that if Kassian was give more space to run rampant, we'd see more passion too, yet we seem to take pride in the fact that the SEdins never change their calm, laid back style of play no matter what.

I don't even want to discuss the "turn the other cheek" strategy.

Dado

It pains me to say, but Toronto in general is a much more entertaining team to watch these days. That they're also about as good as we are is just salt in an open wound.

I am so done with the Sedin "not too high, not too low" era, I want some ass kicking high octane "you pissed me off and I'm going to ****ing run you over" good-ole-hockey-game style hockey.

**** the process.

Give me some piss and vinegar.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I guess they "don't want it enough". I watch CBC, so I understand that's a real thing that totally affects stuff. It must be because of their nationalities, because we know "good Canadian kids" have different DNA. I hear people really make the best decisions in life when they're really emotional, too. We need more impulsiveness and scowling on the bench -- that's how you know a guy is really trying.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
It pains me to say, but Toronto in general is a much more entertaining team to watch these days. That they're also about as good as we are is just salt in an open wound.

I am so done with the Sedin "not too high, not too low" era, I want some ass kicking high octane "you pissed me off and I'm going to ****ing run you over" good-ole-hockey-game style hockey.

**** the process.

When they say "Not too high, not too low" they're talking about wins and losses, not cheapshots on the ice.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

**** the process.

on the other hand, most of us aren't done with the sedins and neither is management. rest in peace

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

I don't understand this comment, yes we passed over Gallagher, but so did 29 other teams. We do not have any advantage being out West for the WHL, just like Toronto/Ottawa don't for the OHL, and Montreal for the QMJHL. It was a great pick up by the Habs, but in no way should he be used to evaluate our scouting staff.

Emotional play is nice to see, but it is not the end all be all for the makings of an elite team. You can benefit from players that play with an edge and and get into all of the rough stuff, but it can also hurt your team. See Perry's meltdowns, Torres getting himself suspended and various other examples of "emotional players" costing it for their team. Right now, Bieksa is by far our most emotion-driven defenseman, which doesn't mean that he is an improvement over any of our other D guys.

Last edited:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

**** the process.

I think we used to play that way before AV/Gillis reigned in Burrows, Kesler, Lapierre (even Bieksa doesn't have the same snarl). They used to be thorns that really disturbed the ****...not so much anymore.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver

Canucks play chicago in the second last regular season game. I expect some emotion, there. If they come out flat, I'll adjust my playoff expectations drastically.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I think we used to play that way before AV/Gillis reigned in Burrows, Kesler, Lapierre (even Bieksa doesn't have the same snarl). They used to be thorns that really disturbed the ****...not so much anymore.

I would agree with this, we need to let our emotional players play with emotion. They are key pieces that not only play better when they are into the game, but also raise the energy of the entire team and can significantly change the momentum of the game with a big play. I think the players are there, we just need to let them play their own way imo

Hal 9000*

I don't understand this comment, yes we passed over Gallagher, but so did 29 other teams. We do not have any advantage being out West for the WHL, just like Toronto/Ottawa don't for the OHL, and Montreal for the QMJHL. It was a great pick up by the Habs, but in no way should he be used to evaluate our scouting staff.

Emotional play is nice to see, but it is not the end all be all for the makings of an elite team. You can benefit from players that play with an edge and and get into all of the rough stuff, but it can also hurt your team. See Perry's meltdowns, Torres getting himself suspended and various other examples of "emotional players" costing it for their team. Right now, Bieksa is by far our most emotion-driven defenseman, which doesn't mean that he is an improvement over any of our other D guys.

You have to agree that indifference and a lack of emotion can also cost your team too.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

Yep. "Focus on the process." "Play whistle to whistle." "Play the right way." Gillis/AV has blunted their effectiveness.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
You have to agree that indifference and a lack of emotion can also cost your team too.

absolutely, but just adding emotion-players doesn't necessarily solve our problems is what I was trying to say. I think we do have emotion players in our lineup, but they seem unengaged, we need to focus on getting these guys to be more into each game rather than the Sedins and players like Hamhuis. Adding a Raffi Torres would probably help this club, but I don't think that player is our savior. I want guys like Weise and Sestito to be able to sense lulls and make the hit/fight necessary to rally our team.

I have really been disappointed of Sestito and Weise for that very reason, and Kassian to some extent. I think Kesler is providing a ton of energy and makes a ton of energizing plays, but we need more to get everyone on board.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Saving our emotion for the playoffs? :dunno: Like others have said its tough to go over emotional in a game against a last place team unless it gets chippy.

nmain37*

Hallmark of AV style of hockey. Whistle to whistle. Boring as **** if you ask me. Of course some elitists on this forum will call you a moron and not a true hockey fan. If for one contribute my viewership to Canucks game that very well earns me an opinion. If I buy a jersey they better try and entertain me. It's about us. It's a business and your job is to give fans what they want. Unfortunately for almost all companies they stop listening to the consumer and then they soon bomb. Microsoft, Blackberry and EA to name a few.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Saving our emotion for the playoffs? :dunno: Like others have said its tough to go over emotional in a game against a last place team unless it gets chippy.

This is also a factor, speaking to the OP, I don't think Toronto is this engaged when they are playing Florida and other bottom feeders. This is one of their biggest rivals

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Hallmark of AV style of hockey. Whistle to whistle. Boring as **** if you ask me.

On the flip side I have seen a ton of criticism towards the Sedins when they do engage in the "extracurriculars" in a game. People say that they have "lost focus" and should just play hockey. We shouldn't try to change our players, but rather better utilize the ones that preform in more emotional situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad