Anyone Else Concerned With Unemotional Play?

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
Ah. The mandatory reactionary thread after any loss.

Seriously it is more than a little ridiculous. The canucks just came off a four game winning streak. I could understand if they did not play well during that streak but they did!:laugh: They dominated an oilers team that at the time was the hottest team in the nhl and a coyotes team that was desperate to make the playoffs. The games against the nothing to lose flames weren't as good but you can't argue that the goalie kept them in those, they did outplay the flames in at least parts of both those games. Some of you people are insane :laugh:.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I don't agree with this. The canucks have had their most success when they made Kesler and Burrows reign in their nonsense. They have won two presidents trophies and went to the cup final by trying to play without that emotion. I would rather the canucks attempt to get back to being a well oiled machine than play with misplaced emotion.

Im not saying they should be in every scrum, but are the "heart and soul" players on this team, and even during our years when we won PTs, they both play a high energy, emotional game and stayed away from the nonsense.

Kesler seems to be playing physical, and is making things happen that his linemates can build off of. That is what I am talking about for those guy, leave the yapping to Lapierre and Sestito. They played disciplined during those years you specified, not emotionless

Anyways, we really can't take too much from this last stretch of games seeing as most teams can't bring emotion into games against non-rivals and basement dwellers

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
Im not saying they should be in every scrum, but are the "heart and soul" players on this team, and even during our years when we won PTs, they both play a high energy, emotional game and stayed away from the nonsense.

Kesler seems to be playing physical, and is making things happen that his linemates can build off of. That is what I am talking about for those guy, leave the yapping to Lapierre and Sestito. They played disciplined during those years you specified, not emotionless

Anyways, we really can't take too much from this last stretch of games seeing as most teams can't bring emotion into games against non-rivals and basement dwellers
Fair enough. I do think that Kesler being back has raised the overall energy level but Burrows needs to raise his game. For some reason he hasn't quite been there this season.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
We have had Kesler every year in the playoffs, we have not had secondary scoring in the playoffs.

So when you bring up last year and we had Kesler, was he healthy? because I said healthy Kesler. Also is Kesler on the second line center to provide secondary scoring? that question is rhetorical because it is a huge part of his job, so if this team is to make it anywhere in the post season, for the next few years, then Kesler needs to bring secondary scoring, If you think he cannot then you can add him to the list of players on this team you complain about, but be warned that list is getting quite long...

King of the ES*

I don't understand this comment, yes we passed over Gallagher, but so did 29 other teams. We do not have any advantage being out West for the WHL, just like Toronto/Ottawa don't for the OHL, and Montreal for the QMJHL. It was a great pick up by the Habs, but in no way should he be used to evaluate our scouting staff.

Sorry, that doesn't make it right.

He's right down the road from the Canucks. They should certainly keep a closer watch on guys who are playing for the Giants. All the crap that we hear from Gillis about how difficult it is to play in this market adds to this - anyone excelling in Vancouver should be heeded a special watch. My suspicion is that they saw Gallagher as a 5'9" guy and basically shrugged their shoulders. Big, big mistake. Highly skilled and plays with more piss and vinegar than arguably anybody on the Canucks. Huge miss that should carry consequences with it.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

He's right down the road from the Canucks. They should certainly keep a closer watch on guys who are playing for the Giants. All the crap that we hear from Gillis about how difficult it is to play in this market adds to this - anyone excelling in Vancouver should be heeded a special watch. My suspicion is that they saw Gallagher as a 5'9" guy and basically shrugged their shoulders. Big, big mistake. Highly skilled and plays with more piss and vinegar than arguably anybody on the Canucks. Huge miss that should carry consequences with it.

This is absurd. The team that drafted him passed over him twice in the 4th rd only to select him in the 5th. Even the Habs didn't think much of Gallagher.

TheDiver*

I am apathetic towards this alleged apathy displayed by this team.

Agreed.

There is no apathy.

You try to get excited about your final meetings vs Colorado, Calgary, etc.

Next week, when the Canucks play hungry teams fighting for a sport like Nashville, Derek Roy's former team in Dallas, a team that has won 6 of their last 7 in St Louis with Brian Elliot playing lights out, Detroit who has kicked the crap out of the Canucks this year, and then Chicago and Anaheim, they will show some life.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

You think playing for the Giants is even in the same realm of pressure as playing for the Canucks, or even more than most other big CHL teams?

Also, do you think it is surprising that we passed on a 5 foot 9 player? And as mentioned, if it was so obvious that this kid was going to be good, you would think the Habs would of used a second round pick on him. By this logic, every late round player from Quebec should be drafted by the Canadiens? Every team scouts the Giants, every team knew about Gallagher.

Last edited:

Canuckz

Jul 8, 2012
I guess I was the only one who watched the "Redemption" snoozefest when Duncan Keith returned to Vancouver after concussing our best player.

Should there have been emotion in that game, or is that also too much to ask for?

Doesn't help that our coach is a borg behind the bench. I rarely see AV go off on anything. That can have a trickle down effect.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
This is absurd. The team that drafted him passed over him twice in the 4th rd only to select him in the 5th. Even the Habs didn't think much of Gallagher.

You can't make that inference, eg. Canucks selected Bure late because they knew he wasn't on other teams' radar (for a different reason).

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Doesn't help that our coach is a borg behind the bench. I rarely see AV go off on anything. That can have a trickle down effect.
The last time AV did "something" behind the bench (eg., "that's an elbow") - he got a two minute bench minor that completely change the game (not in our favour of course).

You can't make that inference, eg. Canucks selected Bure late because they knew he wasn't on other teams' radar (for a different reason).
IMHO, a pretty important reason to make that situation unique (eg., questionable game sheets). Something "Fat Tony" would've admired.:naughty:

Frank Garrett

Duncan
Oct 3, 2011
Duncan Construction
hrudey.jpg

"Compete level."

healy.gif

"Compete level!1"

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

If the Habs were high on Gallagher they would have used one of their 2 4th rd picks on him. He was an afterthought for them on draft day and exceeded all expectations.

Other teams didn't think Bure was draft eligible. Pretty sure there were no special circumstances surrounding Brendan Gallagher.

Frank Garrett

Duncan
Oct 3, 2011
Duncan Construction
Yes, it's concerning, but what can we do about it?

Until they win a Stanley Cup, just assume that when the chips are down and the pressure is on, the Canucks will inevitably roll over and take it from a hungrier team who makes them look like little *****es. It's sad, but true. Aside from '82 and '94 where they were overmatched by absolutely stacked teams that got the job done, take it for a given that this is what will happen in the playoffs.

As for the regular season, why even worry about it? As long as they make it to the playoffs then it's all good. Why worry your pretty little head over whether bad habits or lack of effort will translate into the playoffs when you know that they most likely will?

I guess what I'm saying is once you get to a certain age and have watched this team for a number of years, you realize that it's time for...

lowered+expectations.jpg

This doesn't mean that you have to pull a Tony Gallagher and be an eternal pessimist. But you know... tone it down a little on what you think the team will actually achieve. Don't expect too much for them. This is the key to eternal peace as a Canucks fan.

inner-peace-dog.jpg

TheDiver*

You think playing for the Giants is even in the same realm of pressure as playing for the Canucks, or even more than most other big CHL teams?

Also, do you think it is surprising that we passed on a 5 foot 9 player? And as mentioned, if it was so obvious that this kid was going to be good, you would think the Habs would of used a second round pick on him. By this logic, every late round player from Quebec should be drafted by the Canadiens? Every team scouts the Giants, every team knew about Gallagher.

This notion that the Giants play in Vancouver so that the Canucks should never miss out on a Giants player...when the rest of the league does...could be the dumbest statement made in the history of the Internet.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
and it turned out that they were a decent team with a hobbled 2nd line centre and were down a superstar. factor in the fact that the kings were the most dominant team down the stretch by an enormous margin and you get a pretty reasonable conclusion even if the theory of 'saving their emotion' was correct

they didnt lose last year because they were emotionless, they lost last year because the kings were absolutely a superior team. there were plenty of smart people predicting the kings to win and they did

The Kings were the superior team, and our team didn't look like they really gave a damn for most of the series. If one or two players makes our entire team then we really don't have that good of a team at all.

King of the ES*

This notion that the Giants play in Vancouver so that the Canucks should never miss out on a Giants player...when the rest of the league does...could be the dumbest statement made in the history of the Internet.

Please explain why.

It makes perfect sense that Vancouver would have far more exposure and access to him. You're not suggesting that there are Montreal Canadiens scouts at every Giants game, are you?

Even in today's age of widespread video availability, what about spending personal time with the kid? Who would have better access to that, Vancouver or Montreal? Not too hard to figure out. Maybe if they spent some face-time with him, got to know his personality a bit, they'd be more aware that he appears to be fearless. Rumor has it that he's also a total gym rat with crazy strength. Of course, there's then also the facts that he had 3 40-goal seasons and nearly 300 points over his 4 years with the Giants. Oh, but he's 5'8". Write-off. And yes, I'm well-aware that Robo-Schroeder is also 5'8". But I think their makeups are slightly (read: completely) different.

Again, I just don't buy the "29 other teams" excuse. Canucks clearly need to pay attention of the guys right under their nose. The fact that not a single WHL player has been taken since 2008 is an utter embarrassment.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

To be fair, had we even drafted Gallagher there is no way he wouldn't be in Chicago right now. We tend to not want to give our prospects real shots, and he would be getting 3rd/4th line minutes under Arneil.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
We shouldn't take WHL guys just for the sake of taking WHL guys, we draft BPA, plain and simple

TheDiver*

Please explain why.

It makes perfect sense that Vancouver would have far more exposure and access to him. You're not suggesting that there are Montreal Canadiens scouts at every Giants game, are you?

Even in today's age of widespread video availability, what about spending personal time with the kid? Who would have better access to that, Vancouver or Montreal? Not too hard to figure out. Maybe if they spent some face-time with him, got to know his personality a bit, they'd be more aware that he appears to be fearless. Rumor has it that he's also a total gym rat with crazy strength. Of course, there's then also the facts that he had 3 40-goal seasons and nearly 300 points over his 4 years with the Giants. Oh, but he's 5'8". Write-off. And yes, I'm well-aware that Robo-Schroeder is also 5'8". But I think their makeups are slightly (read: completely) different.

Again, I just don't buy the "29 other teams" excuse. Canucks clearly need to pay attention of the guys right under their nose. The fact that not a single WHL player has been taken since 2008 is an utter embarrassment.

How many WHL Players should we take?

And if the Canucks concentrated their scouting into the Giants, they would miss out on the REST OF THE WORLD.

I guarantee you the Habs have scouts out west. Alvin Backus is based in BC and he's their guy in the Province. They also have Ryan Jankowski.

You don't think the Canucks have scouts in BC as well as around the world?

And the Canucks cannot "spend personal time" with the Giants. Prior to the development of the Draft, NHL teams sponsored junior teams. This is no longer the case. Taking Vancouver Giants out for dinner and a movie is not the best plan to win a Stanley Cup.

If the Canucks win the cup with Czechs, Swedes, Americans and a couple guys from Eritrea, I wouldn't care.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad