Any of you fans switch teams or thinking about it?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
No I’m from Saskatchewan. I’ve never really felt all that close to the nhl. I mean the jets are back and I’ve been to a couple games but I havnt seen a lot of nhl action
I'm from Saskatchewan too but I am a big Caps fan. Have been since 74. I dont like the direction the Caps are going this year but I will stick with them. I always do.

Reactions: drs151

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
OP is 31 but was a Kings fan since...1992? Come on, man. That's just dumb. I was born in 1972. I was introduced to the game through the Rockies, but I was like 9 when they left for Jersey. I wasn't much of a fan, but I was at least old enough to remember the team. Not, like, 3? 4? Toddler logic.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
i find losing streaks and downturns make you into a bigger fan of your current team

guess we're masochists

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
I sorta wish I had it in me but it's engrained at this point. If I survived the move from Minnesota to Dallas, I'm a lifer. You just know when there's only one team that interests you, like I'm not even interested in looking at other teams boards on here, just no interest outside bigD.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Well it's a free country so you can always cheer for whoever you want at any point in time. Plus it is just a sports team at the end of the day lol

Reactions: fivesberg

scfronty

Jan 4, 2009
Always have been an Oilers fan and always will be. I can't see the team going through anything worse than the previous 2 decades and I've been there through those.

Habs have always been my second favorite team as my father is a life long Habs fan, and I can remember as far back as my memory goes, sitting on the couch with my father and watching the Habs play. The only time I'd go against the old man was when the Habs were playing the Oil.

Other than that I've always had a soft spot for the Preds as two people I grew up with were both drafted to the team. (Scottie Upshall and Matt Davis. Matt Never actually played in the NHL but was drafted by the Preds in 02)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I do the minor bandwagon. But Winnipeg Jets blood runs in me forever. Used to be a Canucks or Avalanche fan while trying to decide what team to like, the Coyotes just didn't feel like the Jets 1.0 for me.

Such as say I like the way a team looks. Like for example, I have a mild dislike for the Anaheim Ducks, but liked them for Teemu Selanne. After that I no longer had love for them. Or how I liked the way Dallas looked in 1999, but don't really like the Stars, then I would say I'm going with the Stars.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
When the L.A. Rams left for StL, I tried to follow other teams, but it never felt quite right.

I somewhat followed the Rams from a distance, but I basically went without football for 20 years - and had a lot of Sunday afternoons to fill!!

I feel you. I myself could see myself just becoming a hockey fan (or dropping the NHL all together) in the scenario where the Jackets were to leave town. I would always feel an attachment to the franchise but it would sting too much to follow them I think.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
I'm from Saskatchewan too but I am a big Caps fan. Have been since 74. I dont like the direction the Caps are going this year but I will stick with them. I always do.

The direction thekings are going have nothing to do with my decision. Even when they won the cup something felt wrong about it

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
I will never switch my own team for any reason unless they folds from the league then I'll be no longer a hockey fan until new franchise to the closest city where I am now. In some case if someone moves to a new city where they can switch team allegiance as they are a part of the city as they plan to live in a new city for rest of his lifetime would be an exception. It is just weird to switch team just because.

SSJ3 Lunar

WWE made me jaded
Nov 2, 2010
Atlanta
As a diehard fan of the Atlanta Thrashers and boy was it difficult and always disappointing, I switched teams to Nashville once Atlanta moved to Winnipeg because I could never go to a game realistically and wouldn't be able to watch them as often as I would want. I don't hate the Jets and I wish nothing but success for that franchise, though I'm in for the Preds since the Thrashers moved.

Edit: I'm also just a fan of players a lot of the time.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I grew up watching Sharks hockey, I could never. T00 many good memories driving home from the shark tank with my Dad, turning on the radio and just beaming the whole way home listening to Dan Rousanosky recap the game. Everything that's happened to my team has only given us more character, it will only be that much better when they go all the way.

Reactions: Heart Eater

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I was an Oilers/Flames fan as a kid because of my Mom/Dad respectively and that's just what was on the TV at the time, but when I got a little older (12-13 or so) and started watching hockey on my own I became a Canucks fan since I was born in Victoria. Don't really feel that attached to any of my childhood teams since we grew up pretty far away from those places and I dont really have any memories/experiences of rooting for them.

Last edited:

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Was a pens fan in 91/92/93 then switched to Ottawa. Not planning on switching although some things weve done don't make sense. A rebuild does though.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Will always and only ever cheer for one team.

The Red Wings.

That said, I did cheer for the Caps last year and was ecstatic that they won, and in a way gave me an alternate team to cheer for in a small way when the Wings aren’t competitive.

And while growing up over the years I liked Ottawa when Alfie And Yashin were still with them. one of my favorites and because of them I’ve always like the Sens.

But again, Red Wings forever.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Only if my team moved would I ever consider it.

Like Bandit I went through that when the Rams left. I was 14 just really starting to get into sports and as a Notre Dame fan I loved Jerome Bettis. Rams moved I was crushed, looked around for a new team. Liked Brett Farve in Green Bay, started cheering for them but always felt weird about it. Was even angrier at the Rams when they won in 99. And now that their back I try to cheer for them but their is no passion in it. It’s been too long cheering for another team.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I don't really know how to switch teams even if I wanted to.

The Oilers are too deeply ingrained in my psyche at this point. No matter what happens, or how much I hate the decisions the organization makes... I still love them like a family member. Even if I hate them sometimes.
I feel this on so many levels

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Grew up in British Columbia but came from a Flames family. Have lived in Vancouver now for 25 years, and even though every friend I've had here has been a Canucks fan, I could never make the switch.

That said - the heart wants what the heart wants, and if switching doesn't come with protracted humiliation, more power to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad