Any of you fans switch teams or thinking about it?

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Switched when my team was moved. If they come back, I'll also comeback. Other than that, no, except in the playoffs when my team is eliminated.

Reactions: fivesberg

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
As a young kid in Quebec, I despised the Habs because it seemed like everyone liked them... just because of their history. When I really got into hockey (I watched Nordiques games with my father) I started cheering for Anaheim because I loved Paul Kariya and wore his number. I remained a fan of the team until he left and followed him to the Avs, but I did not really care for the Avs, so I drifted away...

Until 2004-2005, when I finally got into the Habs as some of their players were fun to watch. Eventually, I really got into them and I have been a fan since then.

So, yea, I am proof that it is possible to change allegiance over your life.

Also, I think that it is harder to switch teams when you love hockey only because of one team. I love hockey for the sport itself and I enjoy watching other teams. Therefore, my love for the sport remains even if a situation brings me to abandon a team.

P.S.: I still checked on Anaheim for a bit, but they did everything to change the team. The name, the look, the image, and the players.

I used to hate the Canadiens too a while back, but now that I see all the hate they get online because of french, I kinda wish them to win. I still won't declare myself a CH fan, but it's good to see them close the mouth of haters.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
It's not like he's choosing the favorite every season, I would never grow away from the Wings. I moved from Michigan to Chicago in the early 2000s when I was in 7th grade. But, if you've grown away from your team and like a different team more go ahead, buddy.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I have once in baseball, but it was due to a relocation, so I consider that a valid reason (was an Expos fan, did not like the idea of being a Nationals fan, so switched to the Blue Jays).

I don't ever see myself doing it otherwise.

Reactions: TB12

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I will always be a Kings fan. Never once considered switching.

Though since I live in Seattle, and my girlfriend is really looking forward to having a team she can start following (I introduced her to hockey), I will probably cheer for Seattle as a secondary team.

I won't disparage anyone who switches teams they cheer for, but it's not something I could ever do.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
If you have seriously thought you could just "switch" teams, you're not really a fan of said team, you're a fan of the sport and prefer one or more teams. Fans can not just decide to have a new favorite team, they can say this in heated discussion or maybe as a joke, but when you sit down and think about it you realize youd rather just stop watching all together if that's the case.

As a Buffalo fan this is something I've thought about very in depth. I have secondary teams I enjoy watching, but Sabres always come first. I used to enjoy football, and thought about becoming a Green Bay fan or even Seattle, but my heart could never get into it. I haven't watched football closely in about 4 years, and I'm much happier for it, if the Bill's ever become relevant I'll come back but I could never actually cheer for a team my heart isnt behind.

Reactions: drs151

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
No. I have never seriously thought about switching teams, and I am a Buffalo Sabres/Bills fan so it’s not like I haven’t had ample reason to.... lol.

But it just wouldn’t be the same rooting for any other team. Buffalo is my home town. I grew up going to Sabres (and Bills) games.

This city lived and dies by their sports teams. It is amazing being in buffalo when they have a good team. All of western New York is buzzing when their teams are doing well.

I will never forget the ‘90’s era Buffalo Bills and the ‘05-‘07 Sabres teams. It’s hard to explain the energy they brought to the city, and the connection it created between all your fellow fans, unless you experienced it.

I can see where it might be different if you are not lucky enough to have a home town team. You probably don’t feel quite that same kinship to the team as when they are from your home town.

Reactions: narfy87 and drs151

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
People can change teams all they want, but those that do are never true fans its really as simple as that. They may appear happy when their "team" wins but its never true happiness, and they are never truly pissed off when their "team" loses either.

I could pretend to follow another team but I wouldn't really give a s*#t when they win and lose, it would feel empty to me because I have zero emotional connection to the franchise.

I believe you are born into the fandom of a certain team, much like nationality and religion. If I was born in Montreal I'd be a Habs fan but I was born in Toronto so I'm a Leafs fan. If I was born in Israel I'd more than likely be Jewish etc etc.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Been a Ranger fan since the late 60’s. Parents had season seats at MSG.

Moved to California in 1981.

Moved to Orange County in 1996 and grew into a Ducks fan as well.
With time change, I watch more Ducks than Rangers

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
One bad start to a season and you are going to turn your back on your team.

Weak

Reactions: drs151

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
One bad start to a season and you are going to turn your back on your team.

Weak
I guess u missed the post 1993 era that lasted like forever where I didn’t bail. Tbh I’d probably still be cheering for them if they didn’t win a cup but like I stated earlier when they won the cup I was more happy for my 6 year old self than my adult self. I havnt been a true fan for a very long time.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Maybe I would pay more attention to other sports if I really was getting desperate.... but no, I've support the Oilers this long might as well keep going.... probably can't get that much worse

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
Never even thought of switching teams. But the Kings sure are incredibly boring to watch right now...

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Nah. Support my team good and bad. Cheer for other players though.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
My favorite team is and always will be the Knights (not those cheap NHL knockoffs either :P ) but I used to be a Leafs fan back when I was a kid and probably 8-10. That changed pretty quickly since they sucked, the fans here suck, and the owners and GM sucked. Glad to be a Yotes fan now since I’ve been an adult.

thomaspalmer

May 27, 2016
Hamilton, ON
I have never considered, nor even thought, about it.

However, at the end of the day, I don't really think anyone besides you - and perhaps those you explicitly tell - will really know or care that you now slightly prefer Team A to Team B. If you go to a Habs game with Habs merchandise, people will just see someone that supports the Canadiens and not "a former Kings fan who is now a Canadiens fan."

In fact, if you really have a favourite team, it seems that the whole process of "declaring it" is unnecessary, unless it puts your mind at ease I guess. It's not like your choosing between careers.

Boeser Fan

Jun 23, 2018
I’m 31 years old and was a huge Gretzky fan growing up I have been a kings fan ever since 1992 because of Gretzky. 2012 and 2014 were awesome but ever since I was about 18-19o I’ve just felt like the kings were more of a childhood team and I found myself cheering for the habs more often than not( even tho I cried like a baby in 1993 lol). I have French ancestry and I love the history of the canadiens.

Anyone else go through this? It feels very strange to switch teams but it’s just hard for me to get excited about a team that’s based in California.
Subconsciously I think I have been a habs fan for many years I just havnt admitted it to myself.

From this day forward I now declare myself a Montreal Canadiens fan.

I’ll always have a soft spot for the kings but the heart wants what the heart wants.
So your a bandwagoner?

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
I thought about cheering the Laffs once. I got drunk and slept with my roommates girlfriend back in college many years ago. Man she was sweet. And a Stinks fan to boot. But I came to my senses and realized I could never be a fan of a team that hasn't won a cup since ****** was a cowboy! :nod:

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I thought about cheering the Laffs once. I got drunk and slept with my roommates girlfriend back in college many years ago. Man she was sweet. And a Stinks fan to boot. But I came to my senses and realized I could never be a fan of a team that hasn't won a cup since ****** was a cowboy! :nod:

So you're a fairweather fan and a greasy roommate. Killer combo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad