Any of you fans switch teams or thinking about it?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Things are difficult in Ottawa right now, but I'd never switch my allegiance to another team.

I will, however, quietly watch a lot of the kids and rising stars on other teams a little closer. Need to have something positive to watch when my team is in the toilet.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Yeah and we still have nothing on the Browns I don't think there is a sports team in NA that has anything on what Browns fans have had to deal with.

At least the Browns have won NFL Championships (not Super Bowls, but Championships). Yes, they might have lost their team for a couple of years but they have them back now and NEVER again are they talked about leaving. The Panthers on the other hand, have never won ANYTHING and every couple of weeks, somebody talks about moving the Panthers. It gets really tiring.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
As I get older, I find myself rooting for my countrymen than following a particular team, but I've been a Pens fan since I was a little kid and I will die as one. That's the only team I really care about.

Boxer Courage

May 26, 2018
I’m a Columbus fan no matter how frustrating they can be, but I’ve grown up with them being local and gong to games for years. Perhaps there is less loyalty if you are in a distant location and just picked a team and never had the intimate, in person experiences that builds over years. The only other reason I can see is a situation that will occur in Seattle. I’m sure there are Canuck fans or fans of other teams there that will become primarily Seattle fans. That being said, it’s a game, and it’s not a big deal. It’s not like you joined the army and got into a firefight where you turned and shot at your own platoon.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
OP is 31 but was a Kings fan since...1992? Come on, man. That's just dumb. I was born in 1972. I was introduced to the game through the Rockies, but I was like 9 when they left for Jersey. I wasn't much of a fan, but I was at least old enough to remember the team. Not, like, 3? 4? Toddler logic.

I was 5 and I remember quite clearly

Teamplaya

Aug 9, 2013
Pasadena, CA
It's an interesting question because the idea of "switching allegiances" is a pretty North American thing from what I've seen: the cult-like nature of European Football and basketball makes the idea treasonous and a poor mark on someone's character if they say "I like this team and..." Anyway, I suppose it's better that you're being open about it, but if anything, stick to your guns and ride with the Habs, hell or high water from here on out, that way people may take you seriously and not give you such a (deserved) hard time. Besides, sometimes the sweetest reward is riding it out through the rough times with your team, and then seeing them succeed.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I grew up a Red Wings/Steve Yzerman fan. His retirement coincided pretty much directly with me going to college, and suddenly I didn't have as much time to catch games. I pretty much stopped watching hockey for a few years. When I came back to it, all the players I'd grown up watching were gone, and I couldn't really get into the new Red Wings core of players. ...But Steve Yzerman was down in TB, and it looked like he was building an exciting young team. Steven Stamkos, at the time, was one of the most exciting young players to watch, game-in, game-out. And, over time, I just found myself watching more TB games than Wings' games. I mean, it wasn't long before I was watching EVERY TB game, regardless of the struggles they went through. It was exciting to watch a team grow from the ground up.

So yeah, I definitely made the switch. I still have a soft spot for the Wings franchise, and I'll likely keep an eye on them if and when Yzerman takes over as their GM. But I'm attached to TB's core of players now, the same way I was attached to that old Red Wings core, and I assume I'll follow these guys throughout their careers.

Reactions: fivesberg

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Fans of sports teams are funny this way...."You can't switch teams"...."You're a traitor if you do"....."I'd rather stop watching hockey than change teams"

People change jobs, even careers... change addresses....re-marry, starting over with a new family....even change other major interests (such as food, music, etc)....but switch sports teams? Blasphemy!

It's totally ok to switch teams. Circumstances change, and there's no more love for that team. Why force yourself to?

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I’m a third generation Bruins fan, and I couldn’t imagine having a new favorite team. There are other teams I like, and I’d like to see them win, but it’s nothing like my Bruins fandom.

There have been times that Bruins management has severely pissed me off and I watch hockey a whole lot less, but for better or worse, they’re my team.

Back & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I’m 31 years old and was a huge Gretzky fan growing up I have been a kings fan ever since 1992 because of Gretzky. 2012 and 2014 were awesome but ever since I was about 18-19o I’ve just felt like the kings were more of a childhood team and I found myself cheering for the habs more often than not( even tho I cried like a baby in 1993 lol). I have French ancestry and I love the history of the canadiens.

Anyone else go through this? It feels very strange to switch teams but it’s just hard for me to get excited about a team that’s based in California.
Subconsciously I think I have been a habs fan for many years I just havnt admitted it to myself.

From this day forward I now declare myself a Montreal Canadiens fan.

I’ll always have a soft spot for the kings but the heart wants what the heart wants.

I was a Habs fan since birth and started supporting the Senators when we moved to Ottawa from MTL.
Obv. MTL is swag elite though, nothing can change that.

Fans should cheer for whomever they want. The whole "loyalty" thing is a programming tool from teams that want to create a similarity to their own team concepts. Except...we're not on the team, so whatever, really.
Cheer for whoever makes you happy. Dump them if they start regressing, have fun with life.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I grew up a Bruins fan, but moved to Colorado a couple of years before Bourque came to Denver. Starting watching the Avs more frequently because of Bourque, and got hooked because of Sakic/Forsberg/etc. I now consider myself to be an Avs fan first and foremost, but I was still happy in 2011 when the Bruins won the Cup.

Reactions: rfournier103

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Fans of sports teams are funny this way...."You can't switch teams"...."You're a traitor if you do"....."I'd rather stop watching hockey than change teams"

People change jobs, even careers... change addresses....re-marry, starting over with a new family....even change other major interests (such as food, music, etc)....but switch sports teams? Blasphemy!

It's totally ok to switch teams. Circumstances change, and there's no more love for that team. Why force yourself to?
I think these ppl are more patriots than fans.

Reactions: fivesberg

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
I’m 31 years old and was a huge Gretzky fan growing up I have been a kings fan ever since 1992 because of Gretzky. 2012 and 2014 were awesome but ever since I was about 18-19o I’ve just felt like the kings were more of a childhood team and I found myself cheering for the habs more often than not( even tho I cried like a baby in 1993 lol). I have French ancestry and I love the history of the canadiens.

Anyone else go through this? It feels very strange to switch teams but it’s just hard for me to get excited about a team that’s based in California.
Subconsciously I think I have been a habs fan for many years I just havnt admitted it to myself.

From this day forward I now declare myself a Montreal Canadiens fan.

I’ll always have a soft spot for the kings but the heart wants what the heart wants.

I’ve switched once and will never do it again. Like you, I got into hockey because of Gretzky in 1988 when he was first traded to the Kings and I was a big fan for 3 years because they were the only NHL team in California.

Once the Sharks arrived in 1991, I switched to my home town team and have been a die hard fan ever since day 1 and will never switch again. It’s been a weird thing though, the Kings are a Sharks rival, buy I have no real hate for them. I seem to save my rivalry hate for the Ducks and now the Knights. I’ve come to terms with the fact that I still keep them around as my secondary team!

I saw the Gretzky-era Kings live only once when they played the Oilers in a neutral site home game in Sacramento in 1994. Kurri scored, Gretzky had an assist, McSorley had a fight, the Kings won and it was a good game I still remember. I also went to 21 games at the Staples Center when I lived in LA from 2008-11 when a lot of Kings fans had given up on them after they missed the playoffs for something like 8 straight years. I had a lot of fun at those games and I had no problems cheering for them when they weren’t playing the Sharks.

The roughest time for me as a Sharks fan was when the Kings reversed swept them and went on to win the Cup. It could’ve been easy to drop and run on the Sharks, but nope, not going to happen. Hearing newly minted bandwagon Kings fans talk crap after that just made me laugh when nobody was wanting to support them a couple years earlier and I was getting into games at Staples for $10!

I have no regrets on my switch because I went from (at that time) an elite Kings team to a crappy Sharks expansion team, so nobody can ever hold that against me.

Last edited:

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Lol switching. Ive been an islander fan for 35 years. Never has a team switch even crossed my mind. And ive seen some pretty crappy stuff in my day. If i never switched no one can switch.

Reactions: Goldenshark

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
No, but I've had various back-up favorite teams over the years for when the Leafs missed the play-offs or based on favorite players on other teams.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Being an Oil fan is truly suffering.

I don't think there is one fan base in all of sports that is more tortured than the Oilers.

Maybe the Vikings.

Ya ok bud.

Droughts.jpg

who-will-be-first-to-end-their-stanley-cup-drought-5962231.png

chicago-cubs-wins-world-series-after-108-years.png

Buffalo-Bills-Predictions-533x400.jpg

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Anyone who changes teams isn’t a true fan of their team to begin with and I don’t even care how bad or for how long it’s been.

The only time I kind of understand fans of teams not following them closely if they have a busy life and the team absolutely sucks, I can forgive that. But if they don’t follow their team just because they suck or if they switch that’s major cringe.

Gotta root for the hometown team.

That's what being a sports fan is all about.

I’ve never cheered for my provinces team.

I Cheer for who I connected with and picked when I was five.

But I’ve been loyal to them ever since, they could finish dead last each year and they’d still be my favourite team.

Im an Indians sabres bills fan so I think I’m the hardest done by LOL

Reactions: Whaleafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad