Any of you fans switch teams or thinking about it?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Fans of sports teams are funny this way...."You can't switch teams"...."You're a traitor if you do"....."I'd rather stop watching hockey than change teams"

People change jobs, even careers... change addresses....re-marry, starting over with a new family....even change other major interests (such as food, music, etc)....but switch sports teams? Blasphemy!

It's totally ok to switch teams. Circumstances change, and there's no more love for that team. Why force yourself to?

Because your favourite team is sacred

You’re a coward if you change teams. I’ll never change that opinion ever.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Anyone who changes teams isn’t a true fan of their team to begin with and I don’t even care how bad or for how long it’s been.
amazing how some people feel this way about a corporation that doesn’t even need to produce a decent product to “demand” loyalty...

Fair weather fans are the smartest ones, not the die-hard kool aid drinkers

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
amazing how some people feel this way about a corporation that doesn’t even need to produce a decent product to “demand” loyalty...

I’m a kool aid drinker because I’m loyal to my team?

If I thought everything was always peachy would be what would make me a kool aid drinker.

I’m a sabres fan live by the sword die by the sword. Lol

Honestly if you wanna change teams and be a bandwagonner be my guest. When that team gets bad in ten years I’m sure they’ll be lots of other good teams to choose from again. Hey you might even go back to your old team again especially if they win the cup and say “I’ve been a fan of this team all my life!”

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Trying to keep this from being tl;dr. I kinda feel the OP. I grew up in a non hockey area. I never really got to experience much hockey outside of whatever odd game I could get in my area. My family is from Colorado, so trying to latch onto something, I became an Avs fan (largely due to watching Peter Forsberg play whenever possible).

Long story as short as possible, I never got attached to the team until much later in life. Even though I'm a diehard now, I find I don't care much about the logo as much as I do certain players. There's still teams that I cheer for that aren't the Avs. Being as I'm originally from the Pacific Northwest, I doubt I'll abandon ship, but I'm definitely going to attach myself to Seattle in a big way even though I live in Colorado now.

I certainly don't judge any fan for switching teams. It's certainly easier to get wrapped up in a team if one is local to you though.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado

Ehhhh I almost agree to a point. We all complain about bandwagon fans, but realistically, most diehard fans of teams were bandwagon fans at one point. Nobody became an Avs fan during the 48 point season, but the Avs certainly lost some fans during that year.

Fair weather fans are certainly smarter in that it's just easier and healthier on them than it is for fans that live and die with the team.

That ride though is what being a fan is about imo. The highs are sweeter after living through the lows for me.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
We may change our jobs, our cities, our political allegiances, religion, our spouses, at the drop of a hat if things don’t go quite the way we want, but surely not our team/corporation!

One must have some standards, after all. :sarcasm:

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Because your favourite team is sacred

You’re a coward if you change teams. I’ll never change that opinion ever.

Wait, what are the rules for fans who don’t have a team in their home town city or area to cheer for and so root for the next closest team and then their home town area gets an expansion team?

Hello every fan in an expansion team market, including old timey fans in Buffalo who were probably Rangers fans before 1970.

Or how about when your home town team picks up and moves, do you still root for that team with a new city and/or team name?

Hello Quebec, Winnipeg, Hartford and Atlanta fans.

What about if your home town team moves and then years later another existing franchise moves into your city and wins a Stanley Cup Championship?

Hello Colorado fans.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Ehhhh I almost agree to a point. We all complain about bandwagon fans, but realistically, most diehard fans of teams were bandwagon fans at one point. Nobody became an Avs fan during the 48 point season, but the Avs certainly lost some fans during that year.

Fair weather fans are certainly smarter in that it's just easier and healthier on them than it is for fans that live and die with the team.

That ride though is what being a fan is about imo. The highs are sweeter after living through the lows for me.

People always make comments about bandwagon fans, but you're only a bandwagon fan if you leave once they start to suck. I'm sure Chicago has lost a bunch of true bandwagon fans but gained plenty who have stuck.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Wait, what are the rules for fans who don’t have a team in their home town city or area to cheer for and so root for the next closest team and then their home town area gets an expansion team?

Hello every fan in an expansion team market, including old timey fans in Buffalo who were probably Rangers fans before 1970.

Or how about when your home town team picks up and moves, do you still root for that team with a new city and/or team name?

Hello Quebec, Winnipeg, Hartford and Atlanta fans.

What about if your home town team moves and then years later another existing franchise moves into your city and wins a Stanley Cup Championship?

Hello Colorado fans.

Lol I’m half serious here I mean people can do what they want. The idea of changing teams is just foreign to me I couldn’t even pretend to dislike buffalo and like someone else. But if you read just above I don’t have a team in my city. Just my province, but I don’t cheer for that one. When I was four I kept choosing the sabres sticker we had all the logos on our wall and I kept choosing that one so when I was my five my brother a bruins fan was 9 and taught me about their team and what not told me there’s this new goalie whos incredible named hasek.

So that’s my story it doesent have to be your home town it’s just IMO if your a passionate fan of a team first whatever one that is and
You call that your team that should be your team.

If they relocate or whatever then you should probably cheer for that new one but I guess it’s not the worst thing in the world if someone loses their team that they pick aa new one.

Boxer Courage

May 26, 2018
You’re a coward if you change teams

A coward is someone who walks down the street with his girl, and when a mugger approaches, he runs away leaving his girl to fight. Not everybody has the time, desire, or such limited interests to live and die by a sports team that they’re not even on. If OP wants to switch teams, if affects none of the rest of us in any way whatsoever, and surprisingly, life will go on.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Anyone who changes teams isn’t a true fan of their team to begin with and I don’t even care how bad or for how long it’s been.

The only time I kind of understand fans of teams not following them closely if they have a busy life and the team absolutely sucks, I can forgive that. But if they don’t follow their team just because they suck or if they switch that’s major cringe.

I’ve never cheered for my provinces team.

I Cheer for who I connected with and picked when I was five.

But I’ve been loyal to them ever since, they could finish dead last each year and they’d still be my favourite team.

Im an Indians sabres bills fan so I think I’m the hardest done by LOL
Mets, Sabres, Bengals and Knicks fan so I think that matches up pretty well in terms of soul crushing pain and suffering. And I did switch teams and became a Sabres fan on April 14th, 1997. You guys who know history probably know what took place on April 13th, 1997 #LLTW.

Reactions: HisIceness

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Mets, Sabres, Bengals and Knicks fan so I think that matches up pretty well in terms of soul crushing pain and suffering. And I did switch teams and became a Sabres fan on April 14th, 1997. You guys who know history probably know what took place on April 13th, 1997 #LLTW.

Well they are coming back for a couple games this year when Carolina plays Boston, will you be switching back?

Reactions: rfournier103

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
OT but when the original Charlotte Hornets left in 2002 I barely kept up with them although I wished them no ill will.

Once the announcement that the Bobcats would be accepted as team #30 in the Summer of 2003 though I became a fan of them right then and there.

Reactions: sabremike

Oof

Oct 23, 2018
I'm from Newfoundland and ever since I got into hockey (right after the Hawks last cup) I've been a kings fan, the time zones are terrible though because almost every home game starts around 12:00 AM and I'm still in school, no matter how bad we suck this year and for the next few years I'm still gonna watch 50+ games a season

Reactions: fivesberg

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
I'm 26. I think it would be really hard to get into a new sports team the same way I got into the Leafs when I was three or four. It's why I'll never be as big a soccer fan as I am a fan of other sports. When you're young it's so much easier to care about things generally. I'm not even not-young yet, but like, y'know, I don't think any girl I've been seeing a few weeks might be the love of my life, I don't think new bands changed my life, I don't get ultra inspired to change my life by movies, I don't think my preferred political candidates are going to be revolutionary, and y'know, if I can't cheer for the Leafs anymore (and I've gone long stretches without watching a couple times in my life, I just sorta watch players I like or games that seem fun, mostly ambivalently.

Do what you want, anyone who demands brand loyalty in sports is just being a jerk, and if you can still get excited by new things after your teens, honestly, good for you, but it's just hard for me to be that enthusiastic.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I have the Devils and Sens as my main teams. Devils since I’m in NJ/NYC pretty much as much as I am in Ott. I still wouldn’t say I would completely switch teams from Ott despite what’s happening there. I am more of a fan of the players than the team itself

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Born an Oilers fan - will die one too. Nothing wrong with switching teams OP but I think without the emotional connection it is hard to get invested.

Like my 2nd favourite team is Calgary. I would watch them in playoffs and catch the occasional game here and there. I wont look up their schedule and make sure I set aside the time to watch it like I do Oilers games. It is just not the same. I honestly think I just would switch sports if anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad