Any of you fans switch teams or thinking about it?

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
So, as a Kings' fan, you are moving on to the worst possible hockey team in the world. Well, good riddance and good luck (not!)

And I don't remember your name from the last 5+ years at lease on HF, so no great loss for us there.

You are quite upset. I respect that

Reactions: fivesberg

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I couldn't switch teams after 32 years as a Blues fan. Pain and suffering is my sports identity so if I did switch it would have to be Buffalo or Vancouver so it still felt familiar.

Yay, go team that rhymes with lose and is named after a style of music about regret, sadness and bad **** happening. Born under a bad sign indeed.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
I understand why some people are chirping me but what am I to do keep cheering for a team I am not passionate about and keep not cheering for a team that I am passionate about? I dunno I get it it seems flaky to switch teams, but I’m not switching teams cause I think one is going to win a cup over the other. I’m switching because of the passion that is in Montreal and how much that city cares about hockey. I’ve always been in awe of Montreal’s atmosphere. Hockey is life there hockey is my life both as a fan and a player. It just feels right to be habs fan. I havnt been a fan of a team in a very long time mostly because I know the optics of switching teams but f*** it i don’t care.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Personally, I would never do it. It just doesn't make sense to me. You live through the good and bad times. It's "my" team. But people can cheer for whoever they want. It's not a big deal. Do what makes you happy.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Personally, I would never do it. It just doesn't make sense to me. You live through the good and bad times. It's "my" team. But people can cheer for whoever they want. It's not a big deal. Do what makes you happy.

Yah foresure I’m just taking it as that I was probably never a true fan outside a couple years when I was a little kid. It is what it is. It’s not ideal but I know I’m doing it for the right reasons and doing it because I love the game that much and want to enjoy it to the fullest. I remember in 2012 when the kings won I was more happy for my 6 year old self cause I cried for hours when they lost in 1993.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
The Blues had Gretzky, Canucks had Messier. Literally both of your examples are wrong.
giphy.gif

FYI I knew that! Literally it was both of those players least memorable stints with a team.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Stig

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I’m 31 years old and was a huge Gretzky fan growing up I have been a kings fan ever since 1992 because of Gretzky. 2012 and 2014 were awesome but ever since I was about 18-19o I’ve just felt like the kings were more of a childhood team and I found myself cheering for the habs more often than not( even tho I cried like a baby in 1993 lol). I have French ancestry and I love the history of the canadiens.

Anyone else go through this? It feels very strange to switch teams but it’s just hard for me to get excited about a team that’s based in California.
Subconsciously I think I have been a habs fan for many years I just havnt admitted it to myself.

From this day forward I now declare myself a Montreal Canadiens fan.

I’ll always have a soft spot for the kings but the heart wants what the heart wants.

So when the Kings get bad you switch?

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
I was a little kid when Gilmour got traded from Toronto, he was my fav player, so I "switched" to New Jersey ... It didn't last long though lol

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
No.

It's so easy to say that sort of stuff during the good days. Practically meaningless.

So I really do mean it.

Cygnusx1018

Jul 17, 2017
I don't really know how to switch teams even if I wanted to.

The Oilers are too deeply ingrained in my psyche at this point. No matter what happens, or how much I hate the decisions the organization makes... I still love them like a family member. Even if I hate them sometimes.
That's me with the Isles

Reactions: sabremike

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Nope I will always be an Oiler fan no matter how good or how bad it gets I am loyal to this team to the end. If we ever got moved honestly I probably would just watch hockey more casually. I still like sports and hockey as a sport and seeing players play their hearts out but there wouldn't be that emotional investment. The only games I am emotionally invested into are Oiler and Team Canada games that is it. There are teams and players that I like that I will "cheer for" but even still those games won't have me as stressed out or jubilantly happy as when EDM or CAN is playing.

SnizzMitch

Leafs Fan Till I Die
Jan 30, 2016
Eastern, Ontario
I don't really know how to switch teams even if I wanted to.

The Oilers are too deeply ingrained in my psyche at this point. No matter what happens, or how much I hate the decisions the organization makes... I still love them like a family member. Even if I hate them sometimes.
Same for me as a Leafs fan.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
There is a lot of... elitism (? - I'm not sure if that is the best word for it, but can't think of a better one right now) that goes into fandom. People have the thought that if you want to enjoy the ups, you need to suffer through the downs with the team as well. Personally, I would just stop watching the NHL if I lost interest in the Leafs, as I don't feel an attachment to any other franchise. I enjoyed watching them and being a fan, even when they were garbage.

At the end of the day, you are watching the game for entertainment. If you don't feel attachment to your team, or don't enjoy watching them... then don't. Become a fan of the game, or start watching a team you do enjoy. The thing I love about hockey is the emotion and rush I get when the Leafs succeed. If I didn't feel that anymore, there wouldn't be anything there to keep me watching.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Not for hockey no. Or baseball. We all have passions and those are mine. Football I agree with some posters above in regards to cheering for players before teams. This is a direct result of college football being soooo much bigger in the us than college hockey or baseball. I like college football players and want to follow them as they go to the nfl. The ability to just release guys free of charge also turns me off. Lastly fantasy football is better than any fantasy sport which makes you cheer for individuals above teams. Is what it is.

But no when it comes to hockey I'll die waiting for a cup in buffalo. No regrets.

Reactions: drs151

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Really?! How many cups have the Oilers won? Now tell me how many winning seasons the Panthers have had. Try being a Panthers fan, then you might know what suffering is, dude.

Yeah and we still have nothing on the Browns I don't think there is a sports team in NA that has anything on what Browns fans have had to deal with.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
As a young kid in Quebec, I despised the Habs because it seemed like everyone liked them... just because of their history. When I really got into hockey (I watched Nordiques games with my father) I started cheering for Anaheim because I loved Paul Kariya and wore his number. I remained a fan of the team until he left and followed him to the Avs, but I did not really care for the Avs, so I drifted away...

Until 2004-2005, when I finally got into the Habs as some of their players were fun to watch. Eventually, I really got into them and I have been a fan since then.

So, yea, I am proof that it is possible to change allegiance over your life.

Also, I think that it is harder to switch teams when you love hockey only because of one team. I love hockey for the sport itself and I enjoy watching other teams. Therefore, my love for the sport remains even if a situation brings me to abandon a team.

P.S.: I still checked on Anaheim for a bit, but they did everything to change the team. The name, the look, the image, and the players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->