Player Discussion: Anton Stralman

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Never understood all the Carle hate. Still don't. He gets caught out of position, what, once every 10 games?

He's a good #3/4. If anyone on D is disappointing right now, it's Sustr and Garrison. They've both strung a really rough set of games together.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Naw, Stralman is perfect with Hedman. Looks like we both agree that overall there should be more of a physical force than Gudas, but I'm ok with it coming from somewhere else. Stralman's defensive prowess allows Hedman to do what he does best, rush the puck up the ice. Playing on the right side, his shot is also probably the best we've had since Dan Boyle, and that is saying a ton. He rarely misses and isn't a total flake defensively(cough MAB).

Perfect combo, plus he does add some physical play from time to time, I can't complain.

I've harped on this before, but I think Carle's days are numbered. I don't think Carle is bad, but he's turned into a bad fit now, mostly due to the lack of a shutdown physical presence. Funny, because I thought he was the perfect pickup when we signed him. We have the perfect #3 in Koekkoek who should supplant him in the near future, that is where I think we will get the increased physical presence from. A more conservative estimate is that Koekkoek plays #5 minutes as Brewer's replacement next year.

Any opinions or predictions on what happens to Barbario and Sustr?

Koekkoek needs two years in the AHL. The depth in Syracuse at Left D is: Koekkoek, Cote, Nesterov, Mormina. Conceivable that Koekkoek gets injury call up next year since we probably don't re-sign Brewer. It would take three injuries for Koekkoek to get a shot at the NHL right now. That is Hedman, Garrison, Carle, Brewer, and Barberio ahead of Koekkoek on the left side this year. Next year he'll be fourth on the left side as far as depth: Hedman/Garrison/Carle and Brewer/Barberio is gone. I'm thinking we might miss Barb's flexibility to play both sides...however, I think he plays both sides bad so really doesn't matter. Barberio's flexibility to play both sides (he plays the left side better) might get him an extra year of insurance to allow for one more year of Koekkoek in the AHL.

My take is Barberio is gone after this year and Witkowski plays #7D next year. This allows Blujus/Dotchin to move up on the AHL pairings and opens up a spot for DeAngelo who is eligible to play in the AHL next year on the right side. Sustr gets contract and plays #6D on the right side that year - everyone else is already signed and can't really predict trades:

Hedman/Stralman
Garrison/Gudas
Carle/Sustr
Witkowski

and in the AHL:

Koekkoek/Blujus
Cote/DeAngelo
Nesterov/Dotchin
Corrente
(Mormina's contract runs out - not re-signed)

This is the most logical best guess I can come up with for depth next year. For the reasons above...don't think Koekkoek is Brewer's replacement - we don't have to replace him at all to continue with this year's lineup and still have sufficient depth. My guess is we run with 7D instead of the 8D we ran with this year which opens up a spot on the roster for an extra forward.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Never understood all the Carle hate. Still don't. He gets caught out of position, what, once every 10 games?

He's a good #3/4. If anyone on D is disappointing right now, it's Sustr and Garrison. They've both strung a really rough set of games together.

I can explain it.

Most nights you don't notice Carle. He's one of those quiet Dmen who doesn't look especially good or bad - you only notice him when he makes a mistake. This makes it easy to focus on him when he does mess up, even though it's not very common.

Sustr has looked like hot garbage the past few games. He's been too active but he doesn't have the foot speed to catch up when he's out of position. Last year he played a steady game - this year I feel that he feels he needs to "take the next step", but he's taking risks he shouldn't.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
"By the Numbers: After posting a goal and 12 assists in his final year with the Rangers, defenseman Anton Stralman has a goal and six assists in nine games this season. Stralman's seven points are one fewer than the entire Rangers' defense corps in 2014-15" - Bleacher Report.

m4tt145

Jun 7, 2013
He is really racking up points, compared to when he played on the Rangers. Is he getting much PP time?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
He is really racking up points, compared to when he played on the Rangers. Is he getting much PP time?

He is, but I think he's getting a good number of his points ES.

Just checked - 8 ES points and 1 PP point.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Carle has had a rough stretch, but he's not a bad Dman. He's just playing over his head right now with Hedman out.

Carle isn't bad. He eats a ton of minutes, plays a solid positional game, and produces offensively. He's just a bad fit due to the length of his contract, lefty shot, and lack of physical presence. Pairing him with Garrison or Gudas has been a perfect way to minimize his lack of shut down ability while playing towards his strengths.

Speaking of Garrison, I definitely disagree that he's been disappointing. He's played a solid, physical brand of hockey on the top 4 which I was expecting out of Brewer when we signed him. With fewer minutes Brewer has excelled as well.

Koekkoek needs two years in the AHL.

Well obviously I wasn't talking about him being in the mix this year, but there is a good chance he is ready by next year.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I love how Stralman hugs Bishop after a win rather than just giving him a tap on the helmet like everybody else.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Carle isn't bad. He eats a ton of minutes, plays a solid positional game, and produces offensively. He's just a bad fit due to the length of his contract, lefty shot, and lack of physical presence. Pairing him with Garrison or Gudas has been a perfect way to minimize his lack of shut down ability while playing towards his strengths.

Speaking of Garrison, I definitely disagree that he's been disappointing. He's played a solid, physical brand of hockey on the top 4 which I was expecting out of Brewer when we signed him. With fewer minutes Brewer has excelled as well.

Well obviously I wasn't talking about him being in the mix this year, but there is a good chance he is ready by next year.

I wrote that about Garrison after he had a rough 2 games. Pinched at bad times, and couldn't hold the puck in the Ozone to save his life. He still has trouble with that every now and then, it's his biggest flaw right now I'd say. Keeping the play in the ozone. But other than that, he's improved since that statement.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
When Cally says it you know it's true since he have played with Strålman for a long time.

Joe Smith @TBTimes_JSmith

#tblightning Callahan says Stralman is playing the best hockey he's seen from him. "Sensational," Cooper said.

JS91

May 14, 2014
Yet EA Sports has him rated at an 81 overall. The same overall given to Chris Butler.

Well EA Sports is almost as accurate in their ratings as Eklund is in his "speculations", so no wonder.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I am going to prey to every hockey god out there for this to be nothing and it's just a rest day becuase we don't need it to be anything else:

No Anton Stralman on ice for #tblightning. Body maintenance day. Missed second half of second period Thurs but came back in.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I am going to prey to every hockey god out there for this to be nothing and it's just a rest day becuase we don't need it to be anything else:

He got banged up a little but nothing serious, just an extra day of rest that's all really.

Cookiefist

Oct 13, 2014
Riverview
Could you imagine losing Stralman right now? It would be like New York Rangers losing Dan Boyle and Ryan McDonagh...Oh wait...

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Could you imagine losing Stralman right now? It would be like New York Rangers losing Dan Boyle and Ryan McDonagh...Oh wait...

More like losing McD and Girardi. Or Nash losing Weber and Josi.

Even then, we have pretty good depth on D to where we could still win without him for awhile. Carle-Garrison-Brewer down the left side and Gudas-Sustr-Barbs down the right. It wouldn't strike fear into anyone, but we'd be able to keep our head above water.

Ace88*

Stralman has been fantastic for fourish years now. Hes a brillant 3/4, adequate #2 and i dont have a problem saying that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad