Player Discussion: Anton Stralman

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The thing that he brings that I didn't expect is a pretty good physical game. I thought we were bringing in a slightly better Matt Carle. That's not the case, however. He's one of two defenders we have that take a guy physically out of the play. He understands that if someone is standing in front of your goaltender, tie up his stick and move him out of the way. He'll even give a pretty solid hit along the boards during a rush. It just seems like he always makes the correct play, whether it's a stick check or body check.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I was foolishly pining over dealing for A Larsson or Mike Stone. Thought it was a very meh signing at the time. Knew he had the offense in him, but I'm totally hoodwinked over his above average physical game. Great pickup, will only be made stronger when Hedman returns and they both are able to open up the ice more for one another.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I was foolishly pining over dealing for A Larsson or Mike Stone. Thought it was a very meh signing at the time. Knew he had the offense in him, but I'm totally hoodwinked over his above average physical game. Great pickup, will only be made stronger when Hedman returns and they both are able to open up the ice more for one another.

There's an article about how NJ is doing the opposite of what TB did for Hedman, they bench him or scratch him after he makes mistakes instead of letting him play through them and learn, now he's apprehensive and questioning his play and trying to stay invisible.

He has tons of potential and his value is at an all time low, imagine him getting mentored by Hedman and Stralman.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
There's an article about how NJ is doing the opposite of what TB did for Hedman, they bench him or scratch him after he makes mistakes instead of letting him play through them and learn, now he's apprehensive and questioning his play and trying to stay invisible.

He has tons of potential and his value is at an all time low, imagine him getting mentored by Hedman and Stralman.

I've been having fitful sleep about it all week.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
2 2nds is my guess :nod:

I'd be okay with that.

Really what Larrsson needs is the peice of mind that he won't be sent straight to the press box if he makes a mistake. Allow himself to play his game. Yes coach him on things so he can improve, but put him in situations where he can sink or swim. We kind of threw Hedman to the wolves starting off. We had a crap team, and we could afforded the chance to do so. Yes he struggled at times, but he showed us glimpses of what he would become. Eventually he came into his own.

If we actually got Adam from New Jersey and gave him a chance. (Not top pairing, but 2nd pairing minutes, pretty much Carle's spot.) and give him a chance to sink or swim. I think you will find that before a full season has passed (About 70 to 80 games played.) Not only would he successfully play better than Carle, we could actually resurrect his career and have a chance of him being the defenseman he has the potential to be.

The pay off chance is huge, yes there is Risk. Yet if in a couple of years you could have two legit franchise defensemen in Hedman and Larsson. I think it would be worth the risk. The only question now would be, what would they want, and are we willing to pay for it. I'd trust the Jedi running the ship though.

Last edited:

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I'd be okay with that.

Really what Larrsson needs is the peice of mind that he won't be sent straight to the press box if he makes a mistake. Allow himself to play his game. Yes coach him on things so he can improve, but put him in situations where he can sink or swim. We kind of threw Hedman to the wolves starting off. We had a crap team, and we could afforded the chance to do so. Yes he struggled at times, but he showed us glimpses of what he would become. Eventually he came into his own.

If we actually got Adam from New Jersey and gave him a chance. (Not top pairing, but 2nd pairing minutes, pretty much Carle's spot.) and give him a chance to sink or swim. I think you will find that before a full season has passed (About 70 to 80 games played.) Not only would he successfully play better than Carle, we could actually resurrect his career and have a chance of him being the defenseman he has the potential to be.

The pay off chance is huge, yes there is Risk. Yet if in a couple of years you could have two legit franchise defensemen in Hedman and Larsson. I think it would be worth the risk. The only question now would be, what would they want, and are we willing to pay for it. I'd trust the Jedi running the ship though.

And we could begin to call our blueline "the Swedish meatballs" or something similar.

TheRevTy

Nov 13, 2014
I reckon having your top 4 defensemen as Hedman, Stralman, confident Larsson, and a maturing Koekkoek would be pretty nice. Throw in some Gudas and Garrison and that's tough to beat.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'd be okay with that.

His "potential" was supposed to be higher than Hedman's, I doubt that now but if he comes anywhere close that's huge. It would solve our lack of a long term mobile defenseman other than Hedman.

BobbyTheChiefTaylor

Nov 26, 2014
Boy I'll tell ya what, what a gift Antun Straghman has been. Just look at how the takes player out of the play and his consistency is amazing. And now since Hedman is back, this team has a scary shutdown pair. I'll tell ya Rick, this pair is going to be talked about more than She Weber and Ryan Shooter in a few months (aside: what, what, Rick? What d'ya mean they're not on the same team anymore?). Y'know who Straghman reminds me of? Good ol Mattius OhLand, I tell ya, good shut-down guy.

BobbyTheChiefTaylor

Nov 26, 2014
Thanks, Rick, I really could use some bourbon after last night. But boy, we gotta get shots on net if we want to win. But good thing Antun Stalghman and Hedman were good most of the game or boy, the lightning would've been in big trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad