Player Discussion: Anton Stralman

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
The most impressive with Stralman are his possession numbers. Simply a.m.a.z.i.n.g.

This. I'm also really impressed with the way he have been leading the defense with all the injuries we've had and especially with all the young and inexpereinced guys that we've called up, it can't have been easy for him but he took it on and did a great job, I dread how our team would have done without him.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
This. I'm also really impressed with the way he have been leading the defense with all the injuries we've had and especially with all the young and inexpereinced guys that we've called up, it can't have been easy for him but he took it on and did a great job, I dread how our team would have done without him.

Yeah, maybe we're not looking in the right direction to find our MVP between The Drej & TyJo, I mean I really don't know, our best player so far could be Anton in the end... Defense is sooo hard to evaluate though, particularly that kind of "quiet", smart, mistake free defense Stralman plays. Anyway I'm so glad he's part of this team.

The only thing I didn't like about him, and it's not even his fault but the coaching staff, is that I'm not sure he's the best suited to quarterback our PP unit.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yeah, maybe we're not looking in the right direction to find our MVP between The Drej & TyJo, I mean I really don't know, our best player so far could be Anton in the end... Defense is sooo hard to evaluate though, particularly that kind of "quiet", smart, mistake free defense Stralman plays. Anyway I'm so glad he's part of this team.

The only thing I didn't like about him, and it's not even his fault but the coaching staff, is that I'm not sure he's the best suited to quarterback our PP unit.

They need that righty shot so bad though

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stralman is fantastic.
You see him play and wonder how all 30 teams weren't in on a major bidding war for this guy last off season.

He turned down more money from some teams, he came to Tampa heavily influenced by Callahan. Rangers did not really try too hard to keep him, gave him one offer, and never really went beyond that. He wanted job security like Callahan did. Yzerman was able to give that to him.

A few more details on that, Stralman had talked to Callahan before he made his decision, told Stralman he was settling with his family, and raved about Tampa and the organization. That basically sold Stralman and with a chance to play again with his former captain.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Best player on the team in that series only after Johnson and we barely speak of him. Solid is not enough to describe his reliability on shift basis, man was born for playoffs hockey.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Best player on the team in that series only after Johnson and we barely speak of him. Solid is not enough to describe his reliability on shift basis, man was born for playoffs hockey.

I actually disagree... I mean, I think all of our D was great (hell, even Sustr was good), but Hedman was a ****ing monster. There was no room when he was on the ice. Looked a little mediocre on the offensive side, but still made some nice plays. But Hedman looked like a true, dominant shutdown defenseman this series.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Stralman was the exact rock we thought we were getting though. I do think Hedman finally upped his game/consistency to the level we've been waiting for, quite possibly because we finally paired him with Stralman for a lot of the series. They were probably each instrumental in the other's success.

Stralman just kept effortlessly guiding plays into the boards, so smooth it looked like Lidstrom. Hedman was leaning on guys, which I think is the type of physicality he does bring to the table when he's on his game. The big hits may never come, but he puts his weight on guys and comes out with the puck. And his stretch pass got some serious attention outside of TB in this series. I heard it called "best in the game" twice today.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
I actually disagree... I mean, I think all of our D was great (hell, even Sustr was good), but Hedman was a ****ing monster. There was no room when he was on the ice. Looked a little mediocre on the offensive side, but still made some nice plays. But Hedman looked like a true, dominant shutdown defenseman this series.

The fact that he's now paired with Stralman has something to do with it IMO, it's a nice pairing indeed. Victor was extremely focused on the defensive side of the game and as as soon as the opposition gives him a bit of space he's an amazing puck mover but to me Stralman stands out by his exceptional poise and effectiveness in traffic. Maybe it's just a matter of taste.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
The fact that he's now paired with Stralman has something to do with it IMO, it's a nice pairing indeed. Victor was extremely focused on the defensive side of the game and as as soon as the opposition gives him a bit of space he's an amazing puck mover but to me Stralman stands out by his exceptional poise and effectiveness in traffic. Maybe it's just a matter of taste.

I agree that both were very good. I don't know which was really better but it doesn't truly matter at this point.

Raymones

Aug 2, 2005
Sweden

Agreed. He was, IMO, the best player on the ice tonight. Excellent defensively, so poised, won almost every battle coming out with the puck and distributed to a teammate. Very effective and smart player. Too bad his beauty of a goal got waved off.

Having followed him closely he upped his game a notch for every playoffs. He excels when the stakes are high. This season is no exception.

With that said, many players stood out defensively tonight, and throughout the series.

Last edited:

hagg18

Dec 8, 2007
Stralman's has stepped up every playoff he's been in. Same this year. Thought he was great in game 4 and outstanding in game 7. IMO he was the best player on the ice in that game. Losing very few, if any, battles along the board, delivered great passes and chip outs from TBL zone. He had most icetime on TBL and had 6 hits. Twice as many as anyone else and almost 1/3 of the teams total. Through the whole series he's played top minutes on the team and been one of the TBL players with most hits in every game.

I might not be very popular around here be saying this, but I'm not impressed at all with Hedmans game. Sure he's big, skates well, have great puckhandeling and a hard shot. But he plays soft on d and he takes a lot of bad descisions that causes turnovers or leaves he's teamates in a bad position. He always tend to hold on to the puck for just a moment to long. By dumping the puck a bit to late forcing the forwards to slow down on the blueline with a turnover as a result, passing the puck a little late, so the reciving player has less room to do something with the puck, shooting the puck on a defender causing a turnover at the offensive blueline.

IMO he brings nothing to the team that we can't get from someone else. I think we should trade him while he's still concidered a Norris candidate and get a good return. Stamkos clearly needs someone better then Killorn to play with. So why not try to make a trade with the Oilers. They're loaded with talent up front and need a top D.

How about something like this lineup for next season?

Drouin-Stamkos-Yakupov
Tripplets
Killorn-Filppula-Callahan
Brown-Boyle-Paquette

Nesterov-Stralman
Coburn-Garrison
Carle-Sustr

Bishop
Vasi

With TBL being "little Sovjet" Yakupov might get a break out here.

Selyanin

#StammerTime
May 2, 2014
The North
Stralman's has stepped up every playoff he's been in. Same this year. Thought he was great in game 4 and outstanding in game 7. IMO he was the best player on the ice in that game. Losing very few, if any, battles along the board, delivered great passes and chip outs from TBL zone. He had most icetime on TBL and had 6 hits. Twice as many as anyone else and almost 1/3 of the teams total. Through the whole series he's played top minutes on the team and been one of the TBL players with most hits in every game.

I might not be very popular around here be saying this, but I'm not impressed at all with Hedmans game. Sure he's big, skates well, have great puckhandeling and a hard shot. But he plays soft on d and he takes a lot of bad descisions that causes turnovers or leaves he's teamates in a bad position. He always tend to hold on to the puck for just a moment to long. By dumping the puck a bit to late forcing the forwards to slow down on the blueline with a turnover as a result, passing the puck a little late, so the reciving player has less room to do something with the puck, shooting the puck on a defender causing a turnover at the offensive blueline.

IMO he brings nothing to the team that we can't get from someone else. I think we should trade him while he's still concidered a Norris candidate and get a good return. Stamkos clearly needs someone better then Killorn to play with. So why not try to make a trade with the Oilers. They're loaded with talent up front and need a top D.

Drouin-Stamkos-Yakupov
Tripplets
Brown-Boyle-Paquette

Nesterov-Stralman
Coburn-Garrison
Carle-Sustr

Bishop
Vasi

Hedman for Yakupov?? ***** you smokin'

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Stralman was fantastic last night. Now 6-0 in Game 7's. Talk about clutch.

Hedman was picking up from last year before the injury. Ever since then he's been a lot less consistent. Wonder if it's still bugging him somehow or it just got him off his groove. Definitely don't trade him.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014

Drouin-Stamkos-Yakupov
Tripplets
Brown-Boyle-Paquette

Nesterov-Stralman
Coburn-Garrison
Carle-Sustr

Bishop
Vasi

Oh my god no. You want to throw a guy with 20 games NHL experience (Im guessing, didnt look it up) onto our top pairing next season? No. Just no

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Think about how lost Steven Stamkos looked at times this year, now multiply that by 10 and take away about 70% of his goals/points and that's Yakupov.

No thanks, not to mention we could get ALOT more than Yakupov for Hedman :laugh:

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Stralman has been great, in part because the other teams also have to be concerned about Hedman. Those two as a pairing will keep us as a playoff threat for years to come.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
All I heard on NHL radio today was how the Rags should have kept Stralman and not signed Dan Boyle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->