Player Discussion: Anton Stralman

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Lightning' started by Nordic*, Aug 16, 2014.

View Users: View Users
  1. Nordic*

Nordic* Registered User

Teacher
    Where do you see Stralman the upcoming season?

I have been high on him for years and always 'knew' that he would turn it around - given his raw talent. Now he has.

In New York he was pretty much used as a shutdown defenceman, with really limited chances to show what he was mostly known for back in Sweden.

Will he be on a PP-unit in Tampa?

Where do you see him in the depth chart among defencemen, number two after Hedman?

Hopefully he can really bloom in Tampa, wish we could've snatched him up in Ottawa instead, but oh well ;-)

2. Brie

Brie bearer of bad news

Those are some good questions that we won't really know the answer for until training camp. I do however think that they will play him as number two on a pairing with Hedman and even if the rangers fans want to tell everyone othervise I think that he would be great in that role. As for PP time we'll see, maybe on the 2nd pp if anything because that one is a lot more up in the air than the first one, maybe they will try him and Garrison on it with Johnson, Drouin/Filppula and Brown/Killorn/Panik.

As for him being a shutdown defenceman I think they really want him for that as well but I also see his point titsl going up for the same reason why Callahan's did, because TB, unlike NYR, have players who can finish and do things with great passes and Anton is a great passer and great at getting the puck up the ice.

3. Mikey 48

Mikey 48 Still D.R.E.J.

I don't see there being room for him on the PP. We have Hedman and Flip on the point for the first unit, then we have Carle, Garrison and Barbs who are all PP-capable, and IIRC Drouin's ran the point before in Halifax so he could be an option there as well.

I think he'll play mostly a defensive role next to Hedman on ES and the PK.

4. HoseEmDown

HoseEmDown Registered User

He'll be our best defenseman with a RH shot so he might see PP time. He'll get it late in games when we're up but he'll but not much unless Garrison struggles on the 2nd unit. He'll be getting heavy minutes at ES with Hedman and be on the top PK with Carle.

He's #2 but by default because we don't have a true #2 and he really isn't one. He's going to be our right handed Carle. A more physical, bigger shot Carle. Someone who is better in a complimentary role then being the main guy.

5. DFC

DFC Registered User

Given Coop's love for the 4F / 1D setup on the first unit, I don't see how Stralman gets PP time without an injury.

My guess is he'll be tried out as Hedman's partner and he'll be the #1 PK option.

6. Bodi Finds the Fire

Bodi Finds the Fire Fearless Leadership is Priceless Sponsor

Broker
    Stralman is not going to score a lot of goals or put up points but he is going to control the puck and get it out of Tampa's zone.

I do not see him playing on the PP, unless like DFC said there is an injury. He is very consistent and being paired with Hedman is going to certainly up his game.

As per depth, he was the 2nd pairing on the Rangers, but played well enough to be on the 1st pairing, imo. So he will likely be on the 1st pairing with Hedman. Should give Hedman more opportunity to put up more offensive numbers since he will have a better defense-man pairing with him.

7. Glide5

Glide5 Registered User

Personally I hope Stralman will be first pair with Hedman. I know some people say that might be to big a role for him, but he seems to be the perfect guy for Hedman to be partnered with right now. If they click, they could be a really solid top pairing.

8. Still All In

Still All In Plz stop pucks

Yes.
    I would really like to see Stralman with Carle. Let Carle become a big transition guy again, move those feet.

9. Unfinished Business

Unfinished Business Registered User

Sell computer chips
    Who would play 2 with Hedman?

10. jayslightning79

jayslightning79 @jayslightning79

I don't know about you guys but having Garrison's one-timer from the right side and Stamkos from the Left would only make our #1 PP that much more lethal. Remember a couple of years ago when teams started watching Stamkos a little more how many one-timers St Louis and Lecavalier would get from the right circle?

I'd like to think that having someone who can distribute the puck up high (Most Likely Hedman). Would give us 2 potential target for a massive shot during the PP.

Also I'm sure Stralman could run PP#2 with Barberio...Just add Brian Boyle in front of the net and let Kucherov and Drouin undress the opposing team.

11. DFC

DFC Registered User

Can't see this happening.

Cooper plays 4 forwards on his first unit and that's unlikely to change, unless we're talking about removing Callahan or Palat.

The second unit barely sees the ice and it'll probably be Carle and Garrison on the blue line.

12. Bodi Finds the Fire

Broker
    Oh please no.

13. BoltSTH

BoltSTH Registered User

I think the top 6 is pretty much set as
    Hedman-Stralman
    Carle-Garrison
    Brewer -Gudas

With Sustr/Baberio as 7th or serving pop corn

Garrison may get a chance of 2nd PP unit, but those in the lower bowl, not protected by netting need to pay attention.

14. eco's bones

eco's bones Registered User

From a Rangers fan perspective--Stralman is not really a shutdown defenseman. He's gotten very good defensively but he's not on his own going to give the best offensive players in the league nightmares. For us he was a very subtle player. Great at moving the puck out of his defensive zone. He has quick feet and could make the nice safe play to break things back into the neutral zone as well as anybody on our defense with the exception of McDonagh. Very good hockey IQ.

He broke into the league as more of an offensive player. With the Rangers he became more of a defensive player. Some of the offense was lost with that but he benefited a lot for it. He's a smart and very tactical player. He had a great partner in Marc Staal who is really more the shutdown guy. Stralman is a little on the small side. He makes very good reads and though not a frequent hitter--he has a really nice hip check and if he's taken for granted he'll step up and really nail a player now and again.

15. HoseEmDown

HoseEmDown Registered User

Sounds like Matt Carle. Making less money and right handed. If he produces like Carle and plays tough minutes like him then we'll be happy. If he's just better then Salo most will still be happy.

16. garmonbozia

garmonbozia Registered User

Hedman is the one that'll be giving people nightmares. Having a partner that makes "nice safe play"s and has "very good hockey IQ" should free Victor up to be more aggressive at both ends of the ice. But, who really knows, we might get through camp and find Cooper prefers Stralman partnered with someone else. Maybe Gudas or Sustr outperform one of the new guys and actually deserves a spot in the top 4.

We'll see.

17. Bodi Finds the Fire

Broker
    Stralman is going to be the one to get the puck out of their zone and set up Hedman and the forwards. He won't get points but it's not just all about points that make you win.

18. Still All In

Yes.
    Don't care, Heddy carries that pairing and we both know it :)

19. Brie

Brie bearer of bad news

I think that this is the best thread to post this.

I found this somewhat accurate translation of an interview with Henrik Lundqvist from a website called hockeysverige.se and he’s talking about StrÃ¥lman:

http://www.hockeysverige.se/2014/08...lsen-bakom-sig-har-hungern-att-ga-hela-vagen/
    ------

Then there was this part from a Q&A with Lundqvist for BauerHockey’s twitter that he did a short while back that’s interesting:

-----

Lundqvist is as good of a player as anyone to know what a guy like Strålman can bring to a team, especially as a goalie he seem to be someone that they can rely on to help out.

20. Bodi Finds the Fire

Broker
    It seems everyone including Lundqvist thinks Stralman was one of the best defenseman next to Mcdonagh of course, except for a few HF Rangers fans, lol.

Why have I hyped Stralman even before he signed? Because you will see less time in your teams defensive zone when Stralman is on the ice, and he will carry the puck out and get it to safety and is an excellent possession player. Something Tampa was lacking last season. He won't put up a lot of points, but you have Hedman and the rest of the forwards core to do that.

With Boyle and Callahan on this team, it is going to make it easy for him to adjust on and off the ice. When Stralman signed, I was almost as happy as when Cally signed............almost. ;)

21. FDfranklin

FDfranklin 868686

I'M PUMPED. I cannot wait for this season. Very happen with what Yzerman has done. :yo:

22. tidus37

tidus37 Chicken Parm Mafia

I saw a very interesting tweet: https://twitter.com/slimcliffy/status/507564002084659200

“@SlimCliffy: Ryan McDonagh with Anton Stralman last year (134 minutes): 58.9% CorsiFor.

McDonagh without Anton Stralman (1240 minutes): 50.5% CorsiForâ€

Now I know that even though it's analytics I guess what I'm trying to get at is Stralsy helped MacTruck and Staal a lot in comparison with or without him.

So I wonder now more than ever honestly what a Stralsy-Hedman pairing will truly look like. They've been skating in Brandon since they got back to Tampa.

23. Still All In

Yes.
    Thats not even the best one - look at the with you/without you numbers for Stralman and Girardi. Girardi craters, HARD.

24. TheDaysOf 04

TheDaysOf 04 [ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...2196598?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

25. FDfranklin

FDfranklin 868686