Player Discussion: Anton Stralman

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I don’t think Stralman ever was part of JBB’s plans. He was Yzerman’s signing. I’m afriad this one will comes back and bite Tampa, just the way it did with Rangers when he left them.

He will be greatly missed when Serg makes his turnovers so Tampa won’t be able to leave their d-zone and when Coburn and Schenn plays the board, just to find out that their’s no one their who can win the battle for the puck in the neutral zone.
The big difference is when he left NY, he was 27. Rangers let him go at his prime and we proceeded to get the most out of his peak years. Now he's 32 going on 33 before the season starts and has some injury concerns. I still think he will be a valuable and good player for the panthers, but he won't be the player he was in NY's cup run in 2014 or ours in 2015.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Just gonna paste a few fav memories of Strålman for the archives. Gonna miss him big time but he definitely ended up out of our price range. :( I hope he's now healthy and can bring some of his patented cool and calm puck possession, occasional hip check, and defensive solid play to the Panthers.

Classic hit.

Helping Bish on the goal line.

And Spin-O-Rama fun vs. Fleury

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
If any of you subscribe to the Athletic, there's a great, in depth interview by Joe Smith with Strålman where he discusses everything from the horrid playoff sweep to his injury riddled season to special memories of his time in Tampa to his looking forward to playing with the Panthers. Very insightful, lots of great things to say about his teammates, Vinik, BreisBois, the fans, the Tampa community, and the Lightning organization in general. :(

Last edited:

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
If any of you subscribe to the Athletic, there's a great, in depth interview by Joe Smith with Strålman where he discusses everything from the horrid playoff sweep to his injury riddled season to special memories of his time in Tampa to his looking forward to playing with the Panthers. Very insightful, lots of great things to say about his teammates, Vinik, BreisBois, the fans, the Tampa community, and the Lightning organization in general. :(

Sounds juicy. I wish I was a subscriber to the... athletic? Hmm. Never heard of that publication before, but then again, I'm not as bourgeois as most posters here. I get my hockey inside scoops from more salt-of-the-earth sources, like Todd. Speaking of which, I should really shoot Todd an email for this months rumors.

Dear Todd,

It has been too long since we last spoke. I was reading hockey rumors online again, and it has reminded me that I did not receive my monthly rumor email from you. I have been a loyal subscriber to your email rumors for going on 2 years now, and this is the first time I have not received my rumors. Now, I am not one to complain, but I can't help but feel slighted. 69.99 a month is a lot to spend on rumors, and I'd like to know that I'll at least be getting what I paid for.

Sincerely,
Crabby Williams

Last edited:

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side

Did the free subscription to read the article. Wow, lot of love by Stralman for the Lighting org. He was even cool with the way he left (we didn't really offer him anything) even though he was bummed to leave.

Definitely one of my players, and I'll miss him. But there's no way we could afford to offer him anything close to what the Panthers did*.

(*And as much as I love the guy, it seems highly unlikely he'll be worth even a fraction of the $16.5m they're going to pay him over the next 3 years. But I'm really happy for him getting paid!)

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Did the free subscription to read the article. Wow, lot of love by Stralman for the Lighting org. He was even cool with the way he left (we didn't really offer him anything) even though he was bummed to leave.

Definitely one of my players, and I'll miss him. But there's no way we could afford to offer him anything close to what the Panthers did*.

(*And as much as I love the guy, it seems highly unlikely he'll be worth even a fraction of the $16.5m they're going to pay him over the next 3 years. But I'm really happy for him getting paid!)

Agreed, as much as I have liked Strals in Tampa, I think this was a good time to move on.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Sounds juicy. I wish I was a subscriber to the... athletic? Hmm. Never heard of that publication before, but then again, I'm not as bourgeois as most posters here. I get my hockey inside scoops from more salt-of-the-earth sources, like Todd. Speaking of which, I should really shoot Todd an email for this months rumors.

Dear Todd,

It has been too long since we last spoke. I was reading hockey rumors online again, and it has reminded me that I did not receive my monthly rumor email from you. I have been a loyal subscriber to your email rumors for going on 2 years now, and this is the first time I have not received my rumors. Now, I am not one to complain, but I can't help but feel slighted. 69.99 a month is a lot to spend on rumors, and I'd like to know that I'll at least be getting what I paid for.

Sincerely,
Crabby Williams

Any time you want man I'll sign you up I called that offer to shatty for 1.75 kind of lol !

Reactions: Crabby Williams

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
They probably didn't offer him anything because it would have been insulting. Would you all want Strals back if it was for 2-3M per though?

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
WE got a better player in their prime in Shatterkirk. Shatterkirk will equal Stralman's product or do even better. He has/had more talent than Stralman , but has battled injuries likeds Stralman. He is young enough and motivated to rebound for another big contract to a sucker. I loved the Strakman but it was time to move on for his asking price.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
WE got a better player in their prime in Shatterkirk. Shatterkirk will equal Stralman's product or do even better. He has/had more talent than Stralman , but has battled injuries likeds Stralman. He is young enough and motivated to rebound for another big contract to a sucker. I loved the Strakman but it was time to move on for his asking price.

More talent offensively? Absolutely.
More talent defensively than a healthy Strålman? Nope.

Looking at controlling the blue line stats, Shatty was good at breaking the puck out but not nearly so good at preventing entries. Depends on what we need on the blue line. Hopefully Shattenkirk will work well with a defensively talented babysitter.

Yes, we couldn't afford Strålman's price but, if healthy, he'll not be that far off what they're paying him especially since a defensive defenseman was the Panthers' second largest need aside from goaltending. If not, they're only committed for 3 years.

Hope he is healthy and has good luck with the Panthers. Except maybe when they're playing us. ;)

Reactions: Rschmitz

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Stralman is a class act all the way.
His skill are slowly diminishing, but I think, when healthy, he will give the Panthers a very solid defenseman.

I wish him well moving forward...but just hope he doesn't do his submarine hip check on any of his former teammates.. :laugh:

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Great guy. Wish him personally well. Hope his game is gone. We're going to have our hands full with FL as it is.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I don't know. 28 year-old Stralman was a really good defenseman. A lot of people had him top-30 in the league. It's easy to forget that, on top of the near top-notch defense, he also put up solid point totals in his first two years here. He was one of the better #2s in the league for a hot minute.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I don't know. 28 year-old Stralman was a really good defenseman. A lot of people had him top-30 in the league. It's easy to forget that, on top of the near top-notch defense, he also put up solid point totals in his first two years here. He was one of the better #2s in the league for a hot minute.
He is not that player anymore sadly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->