Player Discussion: Anton Stralman

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
It may sound ridiculous but I think Stralman had a great game tonight. He was arguably our best player in both zones, scored a goal due to a great heads-up play from him, had an assist, two shots, three hits (one was an awesome open ice hit) and he was the only player with a positive +/- (+1).

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
It may sound ridiculous but I think Stralman had a great game tonight. He was arguably our best player in both zones, scored a goal due to a great heads-up play from him, had an assist, two shots, three hits (one was an awesome open ice hit) and he was the only player with a positive +/- (+1).

Strålman is an amazing and underated d-man who always gives his all and works like a horse, now if the rest of the d-men on our team could just learn from him and Hedman and do the same we would be awesome.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Yeah was happy when he signed here. Rangers missing him right now.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Stralman is the ****ing cat's pajamas. He was the defenseman I wanted most this offseason, especially after his playoffs. And then SFY got him. Was so happy. He's been great for us. Nice, consistent. Now if the rest of the team would get their ***** in gear.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I wasn't very excited about the Stralman pickup, thought we needed somebody bigger and tougher. I still think we need to be tougher as a team, but man we couldn't have asked for a better pickup.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Stralman's a beast, he's doing a great job substituting for Hedman right now, our problem is that no one can replace his role. Still can't believe the Rangers never used him offensively, guys already matched his totals from the shortened 2012-2013 season.

Hedman

Stralman

Rest of the defense

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
He has been very good, but isn't much of a physical presence. I'd like him to be the offensive force on a 2nd pairing with a stay-at-home partner. Then we'd have two pairings (Hedman on the first obv) that could do some scoring from the back end. The only problem with a guy like Gudas or Brewer as partner is their lack of speed.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
His offensive instincts are surprising. I mean, I know he showed them in Columbus, but still. I was expecting some offensive upside. He looks like a legit 40 point threat out there more often than not.

What sucks is we still haven't really been able to evaluate the defense because Hedman got injured so quickly. But man, we brought Stralman in thinking he was a guy who could play with Hedman but not necessarily a legit #2. Right ow he looks like a legit #2. He's even good when the rest of the team sucks.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
His offensive instincts are surprising. I mean, I know he showed them in Columbus, but still. I was expecting some offensive upside. He looks like a legit 40 point threat out there more often than not.

What sucks is we still haven't really been able to evaluate the defense because Hedman got injured so quickly. But man, we brought Stralman in thinking he was a guy who could play with Hedman but not necessarily a legit #2. Right ow he looks like a legit #2. He's even good when the rest of the team sucks.

There's some kerfluffle over on the Ranger boards about Marc Staal in which someone is claiming Stralman is a #4.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
There's some kerfluffle over on the Ranger boards about Marc Staal in which someone is claiming Stralman is a #4.

On an elite dynasty-caliber defense I can see it. On your typical defense though, he looks a lot like a #2 guy.

I can't wait for Hedman to get back though.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

That was probably legitimate going into last year, they had McDonagh, Girardi and Staal, but the latter 2 seem to have dropped off.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He has been very good, but isn't much of a physical presence. I'd like him to be the offensive force on a 2nd pairing with a stay-at-home partner. Then we'd have two pairings (Hedman on the first obv) that could do some scoring from the back end. The only problem with a guy like Gudas or Brewer as partner is their lack of speed.

Naw, Stralman is perfect with Hedman. Looks like we both agree that overall there should be more of a physical force than Gudas, but I'm ok with it coming from somewhere else. Stralman's defensive prowess allows Hedman to do what he does best, rush the puck up the ice. Playing on the right side, his shot is also probably the best we've had since Dan Boyle, and that is saying a ton. He rarely misses and isn't a total flake defensively(cough MAB).

Perfect combo, plus he does add some physical play from time to time, I can't complain.

I've harped on this before, but I think Carle's days are numbered. I don't think Carle is bad, but he's turned into a bad fit now, mostly due to the lack of a shutdown physical presence. Funny, because I thought he was the perfect pickup when we signed him. We have the perfect #3 in Koekkoek who should supplant him in the near future, that is where I think we will get the increased physical presence from. A more conservative estimate is that Koekkoek plays #5 minutes as Brewer's replacement next year.

Any opinions or predictions on what happens to Barbario and Sustr?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
"Anton Stralman is an outstanding defenseman," coach Jon Cooper said. "It's funny. Stats are stats. You people (media) can read into them whatever you want. But it's a 7-2 game (against the Wild) and you find a way to come out a plus-1, that's pretty impressive. And he plays 20 minutes. It's not like he plays one shift a period."

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Naw, Stralman is perfect with Hedman. Looks like we both agree that overall there should be more of a physical force than Gudas, but I'm ok with it coming from somewhere else. Stralman's defensive prowess allows Hedman to do what he does best, rush the puck up the ice. Playing on the right side, his shot is also probably the best we've had since Dan Boyle, and that is saying a ton. He rarely misses and isn't a total flake defensively(cough MAB).

Perfect combo, plus he does add some physical play from time to time, I can't complain.

I've harped on this before, but I think Carle's days are numbered. I don't think Carle is bad, but he's turned into a bad fit now, mostly due to the lack of a shutdown physical presence. Funny, because I thought he was the perfect pickup when we signed him. We have the perfect #3 in Koekkoek who should supplant him in the near future, that is where I think we will get the increased physical presence from. A more conservative estimate is that Koekkoek plays #5 minutes as Brewer's replacement next year.

Any opinions or predictions on what happens to Barbario and Sustr?

I definitely think Koekkoek is our future #3, but I think we've still got a while to wait until he cements himself into that role. It's hard to imagine him, or anyone, doing it without a lot of NHL games under his belt. I've been a long-time Carle supporter, but I'm also starting to think he might not be a great fit right now.

With Barbs/Sustr, I still think Sustr is going to wind up in Syracuse once we're healthy. He's making a lot of mistakes (and getting away with some of them), but it's less about that than simply about what would be best for his development. He's an older prospect, but because of his size and experience level, he's going to take some time.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Trade Carle, aquire Sekera via FA, can Yzerjesus do it?!?

I don't really think that fixes anything to be honest. Sekera is slightly better IMO but plays a similar style. If Carle is dealt, I would guess that they move Garrison over to the left side and Gudas up to #4. That creates a great second pairing.

That put's Brewer at #5 rotating with Sustr and Barbario depending on the opponent. Then Koekkoek replaces Brewer next year.

Obviously I'm playing NHL 2015 with the above comments. You can't replace the 20 minutes a night from Carle, and thankfully we have the depth he gives because you never know when an injury like Hedman's is going to come. I would totally deal him at the draft though and go into next season with these pairings. Maybe a little too raw on the bottom pairing...

Hedman-Stralman
Garrison-Gudas
Koekkoek-Sustr

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Everytime I think about the injuries I just remind myself of the Strålman pickup. :clap:

Got him as a really late pickup in my fantasy league too!

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Truth is they are missing Stralman right now. Staal has not been the same since taking a puck in the eye, and Giradi is very inconsistent. Heck even McDonagh is having a rough start to the season.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I don't really think that fixes anything to be honest. Sekera is slightly better IMO but plays a similar style. If Carle is dealt, I would guess that they move Garrison over to the left side and Gudas up to #4. That creates a great second pairing.

That put's Brewer at #5 rotating with Sustr and Barbario depending on the opponent. Then Koekkoek replaces Brewer next year.

Obviously I'm playing NHL 2015 with the above comments. You can't replace the 20 minutes a night from Carle, and thankfully we have the depth he gives because you never know when an injury like Hedman's is going to come. I would totally deal him at the draft though and go into next season with these pairings. Maybe a little too raw on the bottom pairing...

Hedman-Stralman
Garrison-Gudas
Koekkoek-Sustr

Who would take Carle right now? I suppose that contract doesn't look terrible considering what Orpik got...

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Carle has had a rough stretch, but he's not a bad Dman. He's just playing over his head right now with Hedman out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad