Player Discussion Anton Rodin (Released from contract)

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
If he is shut down for the year, but still wants to play in the NHL next year, I would re-sign him to a league minimum deal as the team's 13th forward. They can then waive him if he doesn't work out next year.

This is a lot better than plundering Utica for players that have weaker resumes.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If he is shut down for the year, but still wants to play in the NHL next year, I would re-sign him to a league minimum deal as the team's 13th forward. They can then waive him if he doesn't work out next year.

This is a lot better than plundering Utica for players that have weaker resumes.

He'll be a group VI UFA since we didn't get him into enough NHL games this year. He can go sign with a better managed organization, and frankly he should go somewhere else that isn't a total trainwreck and get a real shot.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He'll be a group VI UFA since we didn't get him into enough NHL games this year. He can go sign with a better managed organization, and frankly he should go somewhere else that isn't a total trainwreck and get a real shot.

There is now a question whether it was management's handling of his injury, or his own re-aggravation of said injury that will cause him to miss the remainder of the season.

There is enough doubt on both sides that if management offers him a deal based on a leap of faith, he should reward it in kind by taking it.

While it is true he can go anywhere, his intention was to try here first.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Rodin is done. Too bad, a lot of promise and time spent. Time to move on.

Canucks luck
The guy was great in Sweden last year, looked outstanding in the preseason, was reportedly excellent in Utica, and hell, even in a tiny sample size is probably leading the Canucks in points/60. :laugh:

"Time to move on" because he had bad injury luck and/or poor management? This is clearly a pretty good player. Even being totally unsure of his health situation, I'd offer him a roster spot for next year assuming salary demands aren't out of whack.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
You should read it again. You said "it [the injury] works as a perfect reason for how he was handled before the injury". How could that injury justify how we has handled before it happened? That makes no sense.

What you are now saying is that the Canucks are now using the "convenient excuse" of Rodin's knee not being 100% the entire time. That makes more sense, but is entirely based on your imagination.

And now you want to hedge your criticism by saying that if Rodin wasn't 100% they shouldn't have "rushed him back in". But the fact is they sent him down to Utica and then were cautious about getting him into games (to the great dismay of many). So he was certainly not rushed.

The more plausible explanation is that Rodin's knee was never 100% - the Canucks and Rodin wanted to give him the chance to see if he could play anyway - it didn't work out. Not everything is the Canucks fault.

I listed the period i'm talking about. Did you bother reading it? Do you even watch the games?

He hurt himself (reinjury) on Jan. 6, how can you explain how he was handled from mid Dec to Jan 6?. If he wasn't 100% before then, he shouldn't have played 4 straight games (3 of which with Utica).

I have no issue with him not playing Jan. 7 (tho it makes no sense to dress him instead of Boucher) or not playing a game since.

Also farther proof that before Jan. 6, the reason wasn't his injury...

http://vancouversun.com/sports/hock...anucks-havent-yet-allowed-him-to-try-anything

"I don’t think I know what we have with him yet" - WD

To be fair that's a honest respond but how would you know if you don't play him? He sat out multiple games while Megna was playing on the top line... that makes no sense. If Rodin/nucks wanted to test and see what he had, he should've been put with Horvat or the Sedins not being the 13th forward.

Its normal to sit out back to back after a major injury or missing the odd game but sitting out 10 days isn't normal. This was BEFORE he hurt himself again.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Done for the season? There are still 12-13 weeks left.

He could be like our bonus trade deadline acquisition.

It probably makes more sense to just shut him down and see if he's willing to come back next year. Even if he can come back by the deadline, it would take a while for him to get back into "game shape" and by then, there will only be a few games left.

If we actually have a shot at the playoffs/cup, then it probably makes sense to push but at this point, we're more likely to get a top 5 pick than make the playoffs. Rushing him doesn't make a ton of sense long term (if he's willing to resign). If he isn't willing to resign or management doesn't see him in our future plans then i guess it doesn't matter too much rather he plays again this season.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
It probably makes more sense to just shut him down and see if he's willing to come back next year. Even if he can come back by the deadline, it would take a while for him to get back into "game shape" and by then, there will only be a few games left.

To who?
Not to the team. Not to the player wishing to sign a contract next season..
If gets cleared to play, it's definitely in the best interests of the player and team to confirm if the knee holds up and can handle NHL training.

If he's shut down - the best Rodin can hope for is maybe min wage from a team willing to gamble..
The Canucks or some other team would be taking a financial risk in blowing real money on an unknown knee. (cuz you know that contract isn't getting insured)

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
To who?
Not to the team. Not to the player wishing to sign a contract next season..
If gets cleared to play, it's definitely in the best interests of the player and team to confirm if the knee holds up and can handle NHL training.

If he's shut down - the best Rodin can hope for is maybe min wage from a team willing to gamble..
The Canucks or some other team would be taking a financial risk in blowing real money on an unknown knee. (cuz you know that contract isn't getting insured)

For Rodin, its risk vs reward. He's out at least another 1-6 weeks and could be longer if the MRI shows additional damage. Realistically that means he'll likely be out until the all-star break. I guess its possible he goes on the road trip on 25/26th but its probably unlikely.

So the earliest he'll likely return is Feb 2 with 32 games left on the schedule. There's no way he'll be in game shape right away after missing another month of action/playing 3 games total. It'll probably take at least 2 weeks till he's close to "game shape". That leaves at most probably 25 games @ 100%.

Given we aren't likely to make the playoffs, he isn't going to make much extra money playing those 25 games. He will still get a 1 year "prove it" contract for likely 1 mil or less. He would end the season playing just over 30 games (at most but realistically he'll miss some even in an ideal situation).

Unless you have an example of someone with less than 40 game experience as a UFA coming off a major injury getting a huge payday or any payday for that matter...

Again that's in the best case, its not very likely he'll only miss a week and that would farther reduce the number of games he can play. That means regardless of how he does (unless he scores like 50 points in 20 games :laugh: ), he will have a prove it deal.

For him, is it really worth risking coming back so soon for basically nothing? He'll still likely be given an invitation/min contract/sub 1 mil contract next season even if he doesn't come back to finish the season. At most the difference might be from min salary to 1 mil or say 450k difference.

On the flip side, he's risking his long term health by risking back too soon. If you want to believe the fact he was never 100% to start with, then all these problems he's having now was due to the fact he came back too soon (or at least it got worst due to the Jan. 6 game) and it'll cost him even more time. Not to mention if he rushes back, isn't productive at all, it only hurts his chances of getting another opportunity next year. Let say he comes back, isn't 100% and scores 5 points in 20 games... he would have a lot fewer suitors in that situation than if he just sat out.

Also Rodin likely wouldn't have any issue going back to SEL and getting a decent contract. After all he won the MVP award last season while missing quite a few games. Any team that feels like he could regain that form would be more than willing to sign him to a short term deal. So really the risk vs reward factor would favor him not coming back unless he's sure he's 100% (and put in a situation to succeed... aka not playing on the 4th line/with AHLers).

As far as 'nucks goes, there is a lot fewer risk. If he isn't going to resign, there's nothing to lose with him playing so it doesn't matter. If he's willing to resign, then it might be better for the team to have him @ 100% (or at least closer to 100%) @ the start of next season. Realistically we aren't likely to make the playoffs this year considering our schedule after the all-star break. Add to that, even with our "light" schedule right now, we're basically 10th in the West (Nash has 2 games in hand and only 1 point behind). We also have a lot of road games and are horrible on the road (5-13-3). So if he's in our long term plans, its better to just shut him down and target a Sept/Oct return instead of rushing.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Money, opportunity, and location are always factors. If current management returns and the Canucks offer him a one way contract, I can't see another team beating that.

If the Canucks don't get beat out on NHL money, don't discount the faith Benning showed Rodin. If Benning returns and shows faith in Rodin again, is there a better situation for Rodin? A GM who is high on you is something to consider. Rodin is a Swede. They are used to playing for one team only. Plus, is there not an opportunity in Vancouver that Rodin can see? It's certainly not the most difficult roster to crack even with Boeser likely competing for a spot.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Money, opportunity, and location are always factors. If current management returns and the Canucks offer him a one way contract, I can't see another team beating that.

If the Canucks don't get beat out on NHL money, don't discount the faith Benning showed Rodin. If Benning returns and shows faith in Rodin again, is there a better situation for Rodin? A GM who is high on you is something to consider. Rodin is a Swede. They are used to playing for one team only. Plus, is there not an opportunity in Vancouver that Rodin can see? It's certainly not the most difficult roster to crack even with Boeser likely competing for a spot.

What extra faith did they show in him? If he's UFA last summer, there are teams lining up. His camp contacted the Canucks, and his people sent them video to get them interested.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Benning made it clear on the radio that they are going to rehab his leg and will get him in the line-up at some point in the season, they will then make a decision on him for next year.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
What extra faith did they show in him? If he's UFA last summer, there are teams lining up. His camp contacted the Canucks, and his people sent them video to get them interested.

There is some faith in that he was hurt at the time and 'nucks sign him regardless. Signing a player while they are having a major injury is a sign of good faith and this year clearly hasn't worked out. So it isn't as clear cut as a RFA who had no choice but sign with 1 year... its an injured RFA who signed with a team who took a chance he'll fully recover (based on reports now, it sounds like he hasn't been 100% since the injury so clearly good faith).

Benning made it clear on the radio that they are going to rehab his leg and will get him in the line-up at some point in the season, they will then make a decision on him for next year.

Not sure he could do much this year like i mentioned earlier. The time table just doesn't really give him a fair shot. Of course Benning still believes the team can make the playoffs and will operate that way (as he should i guess) until 'nucks are clearly out. If 'nucks are out of the playoff picture, then the plans could change.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Rumor out of Sweden that several KHL teams including CSKA Moscow are going after Rodin.

http://bloggar.expressen.se/sjoberg/2017/03/ryska-klubben-jagar-rodin/

Would be very disappointing if he wasn't brought back. Showed enough in preseason on one leg to make it pretty clear he can play in this league.

But I imagine management wants to clear roster spots for Boeser and Goldobin. And then will be confused why we don't have any depth if those guys struggle and need to be in the AHL.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Would be very disappointing if he wasn't brought back. Showed enough in preseason on one leg to make it pretty clear he can play in this league.

But I imagine management wants to clear roster spots for Boeser and Goldobin. And then will be confused why we don't have any depth if those guys struggle and need to be in the AHL.

God I hope they're smart enough to start the young guys in the AHL. If they look great, by all means bring them up.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
God I hope they're smart enough to start the young guys in the AHL. If they look great, by all means bring them up.

Boeser especially. Goldobin kinda needs to sink or swim in the NHL but simply pull a Virtanen and handing Boeser a roster spot without merit would suck.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Wouldn't mind seeing him back, perhaps on a PTO.

It would be nice to see what he can contribute if he's healthy.

I think he has a lot more to show in the NHL. It would be a shame if he went back to the SHL or KHL.

Boeser especially. Goldobin kinda needs to sink or swim in the NHL but simply pull a Virtanen and handing Boeser a roster spot without merit would suck.

Goldobin has shown he's a higher end AHLer over two seasons. So, yes, he's ready to try to prove he can stick (or not) in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad