Player Discussion Anton Rodin (Released from contract)

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
If he can play the same way Bae is playing right now we'll have a good player. The only problem is Rodin is another small, soft player. IMO you don't win with a lineup full of these players, something has to give. Rodin will be a nice addition but we're going to have to add size upfront for any sort of chance to compete. Something in the mold of Dallas, Sharks, Washington, ANA, Bolts etc. all have great size and grit up front.

It's unbelievably disheartening when the Oilers come into your barn and physically beat the **** out of you.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
Is he still recovering from injury? I would think that they would rather not rush him this season and have him come into camp fresh and ready to go in September.

manroth19

May 20, 2015
If he can play the same way Bae is playing right now we'll have a good player. The only problem is Rodin is another small, soft player. IMO you don't win with a lineup full of these players, something has to give. Rodin will be a nice addition but we're going to have to add size upfront for any sort of chance to compete. Something in the mold of Dallas, Sharks, Washington, ANA, Bolts etc. all have great size and grit up front.

It's unbelievably disheartening when the Oilers come into your barn and physically beat the **** out of you.

Im with yeah on the notion of getting some more size up front 100 percent but rodin will be coming into camp 6 feet 190ish pounds, thats not that small. Also, with him coming in you can almost certainly bet vey is gone. With Sutter healthy and a potential lucic, okposo, etc signing, along with the probability of virtanen and mccann putting on some weight in the offseason, the canucks should be bigger up front

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Im with yeah on the notion of getting some more size up front 100 percent but rodin will be coming into camp 6 feet 190ish pounds, thats not that small. Also, with him coming in you can almost certainly bet vey is gone. With Sutter healthy and a potential lucic, okposo, etc signing, along with the probability of virtanen and mccann putting on some weight in the offseason, the canucks should be bigger up front

All of that is pure speculation. What we can actually work with here is facts. Rodin is the same size as Vey, maybe even a few pounds lighter. We're also bringing over Larsen who (God help us all) is soft as they come, and the likelyhood of us resigning Vey is grater than us signing Lucic or Okposo to be honest.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Looking forward to see Rodin back in NA. Wondering if they will try to trade away Hansen if they can't trade away Burrows this offseason to make room or send Virtanen down to the A. Would be productive if they get rid of Dorsett.

Hansen
Burrows
Rodin
Etem
Virtanen
Dorsett
Vey

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Is he still recovering from injury? I would think that they would rather not rush him this season and have him come into camp fresh and ready to go in September.

I haven't seen any news since the injury. The original report said at least eight weeks, it has been nine. Brynas was eliminated last week.

Given his injury I wouldn't have been against waiting another year to sign him. If he's signed, but doesn't make the Canucks full time next season he'll be a UFA at the end of the season. If he isn't signed by the Canucks this year then he won't become a UFA until July 1 2018.

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
Looking forward to see Rodin back in NA. Wondering if they will try to trade away Hansen if they can't trade away Burrows this offseason to make room or send Virtanen down to the A. Would be productive if they get rid of Dorsett.

Hansen
Burrows
Rodin
Etem
Virtanen
Dorsett
Vey

Would love to see Dorsett and Burrows dealt in the offseason. I honestly have no idea what their plan is next season with too many Centers/Wingers.

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Gaunce-Horvat-Virtanen
Bae-Granlund-Etem
Burrows-Sutter-Dorsett
Rodin-McCann-Grenier
Higgins-Vey

Looks like a big mess with a bunch of question marks to me :help:

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Would love to see Dorsett and Burrows dealt in the offseason. I honestly have no idea what their plan is next season with too many Centers/Wingers.

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Gaunce-Horvat-Virtanen
Bae-Granlund-Etem
Burrows-Sutter-Dorsett
Rodin-McCann-Grenier
Higgins-Vey

Looks like a big mess with a bunch of question marks to me :help:

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter
Baert-Horvat-Hansen
Burrows-Granlund-Rodin
Gaunce-McCann-Dorsett

Virtanen to the AHL (But we all know Dim Jim won't do that)

BrockBoeser6

Dec 28, 2013
Vancouver
Sedin-Sedin-Sutter
Baert-Horvat-Hansen
Burrows-Granlund-Rodin
Gaunce-McCann-Dorsett

Knowing how much Willie loves his son Vey, it wouldn't surprise me to see vey on that 4th line and McCann sent down. Also, what happens with Etem and Grenier? I'd assume Higgins is bought out.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

I don't see Vey/Granlund/Etem as pieces for our future.

Going foward we have:
Horvat
Baertschi
Virtanen
McCann
Boeser
Hansen?
Gaunce
Kenins?
2016 pick
Free agents

I don't think we have to worry about being too small going forward just yet. Most of our future roster hasn't been acquired yet.

If Rodin proves to be a good player then if necessary we could move someone but personally I don't think it'll be a problem. Our primary concern right now should be to get the best players we can no matter their size or style of play and then figure the "fit" and what not later.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Gaunce isn't a top 9 player in the NHL. If he has any hope for a successful career he'll have to be a gritty winger on the 4th who can chip in 10 goals and play on the PK.

He's not a top player in the AHL so expecting him to be so in the NHL is a stretch.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Sedin-Sedin-Sutter
Baert-Horvat-Hansen
Burrows-Granlund-Rodin
Gaunce-McCann-Dorsett

Oh right, Virtanen belongs in the AHL before Granlund, Gaunce, Dorsett, Rodin etc because he may not have been the best pick in his draft position. That makes so much ****ing sense.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Gaunce isn't a top 9 player in the NHL. If he has any hope for a successful career he'll have to be a gritty winger on the 4th who can chip in 10 goals and play on the PK.

He's not a top player in the AHL so expecting him to be so in the NHL is a stretch.

He was 6 points behind Shinkaruk in 2 less games. 15 points in his last 17 games there. Hardly a big enough difference to say that he's not a top player in the AHL.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

Agree but the more assets the better. if he produces points he can be traded for more beef.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Sedin-Sedin-Sutter
Baert-Horvat-Hansen
Burrows-Granlund-Rodin
Gaunce-McCann-Dorsett

I don't think Virtanen needs a season on the A if he keeps progressing like he has. McCann on the other hand...

Sedins - Rodin
Bae - Bo - Virt
Burrows - Sutter - Hansen
Gaunce/Etem - Granlund - Dorsett

Maybe over optimistic about Rodin.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
From all reports was far and away the best player in the SHL this season, and even with his season-ending injury, was the overwhelming choice as league MVP....never any doubt about the skill-level...downside is his inability to stay healthy both in N.A. and even in Sweden....key will be how he takes the pounding of the NHL....tough for 185-pound wingers to really thrive in this league unless they're incredibly skilled...so another question mark entering next season.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I'll be surprised if he gets 30 points.

I remember being ecstatic when the Sens got Rundblad and Silfverberg who both had insanely good SHL seasons and won the golden helmet. Silfverberg has been alright but not as good as anyone expected, Rundblad was a complete flop. Temper your expectations for Rodin, he didn't have as good as seasons as either of those guys and has had some injury issues even before his latest one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad