Player Discussion Anton Rodin (Released from contract)

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Thanks to FroshaugFan2 for posting Patterson's tweet in the injury thread. - Rodin not 100%

This seems to confirm one of the explanations for the weird handling of Rodin. Sounds like they are trying to ease him in to the lineup. Testing the knee in game action and then giving it a few days rest to see how it responds.

It was pretty clear he hurt himself again on Friday vs the Flames (in the first of the B2B). If you watched the game, you would've noticed that and noticed he was missing on the bench for a period of time/clearing in pain. It works out as a perfect reason on how he was handled before the injury but realistically WD likely didn't know what he had and wanted to stay with a "winning" line-up then when he got hurt again, it became a prefect excuse for the poor job handling him.

If he really hasn't fully recovered then the fact he was playing at all also means a bad job of handling him. I wonder if we should just shut him down for the season and see if he's willing to come back next year (since he would a UFA).

Pump n Dump

Sep 2, 2009
North Vancouver, BC
It was pretty clear he hurt himself again on Friday vs the Flames (in the first of the B2B). If you watched the game, you would've noticed that and noticed he was missing on the bench for a period of time/clearing in pain. It works out as a perfect reason on how he was handled before the injury but realistically WD likely didn't know what he had and wanted to stay with a "winning" line-up then when he got hurt again, it became a prefect excuse for the poor job handling him.

If he really hasn't fully recovered then the fact he was playing at all also means a bad job of handling him. I wonder if we should just shut him down for the season and see if he's willing to come back next year (since he would a UFA).

What freaking gobbledegook is this? You're saying that a) it explains how he was handled; b) but they would have handled him this way anyway; and c) they should never have tried to see if he could play. What utter nonsense. There's plenty else to criticize without going into contortions like this.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
What freaking gobbledegook is this? You're saying that a) it explains how he was handled; b) but they would have handled him this way anyway; and c) they should never have tried to see if he could play. What utter nonsense. There's plenty else to criticize without going into contortions like this.

Read it again.

I'm saying he was mis-handled from when he returned until Jan. 6. He clearly hurt himself again on Jan. 6, which serves as a good excuse for not playing him afterwards.

Summary - He played 3 games in Utica, played Dec. 23, and looked fine but got very limited ice time (normal) then sat all the way until Jan. 2 instead of playing again. He played 4 straight games, showed NO SIGNS of any injury during those 4 games then just sat because we started a winning streak. Played vs the Avs and sat vs the Yotes... i guess there could be reasoning in resting him/easing him in the line-up then but that was after sitting for 10 days? The 10 days made 0 sense and was a horrible job handling him.

He did hurt himself on Jan. 6 so missing time since then its normal.

The excuse of him being injury the entire time is really just a convenient excuse after the fact. WD did say during the win streak that he did NOT know what he had with Rodin and thus did not play him. After Jan. 6, it makes more sense to just blame it on injury (for Dec. 23 - Jan 2 span) because its convenient.

Finally if he was hurt the entire period like the team is more or less trying to imply now, that's a horrible way of handling his injury anyways. If their new claim is try, then he was rushed back for no reason, played 4 games that he shouldn't before resting then his injury got worst and he'll likely be out another extended period.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
I also question whether the injury was really the reason Willie wasn't playing him. Because if it was, here's how you handle it (free advice for the Canucks):

Reporter: "So, coach, why can't Rödin get into the lineup?"

Willie: "He's hurt."

Reporter: "Oh, that's too bad."

Didn't he say yesterday that he wants to see Rodin in the lineup and is waiting for an injury in the top 9 to give him a chance? Lol

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He will be a Group 6 UFA.

Every site I've looked at has him listed as RFA. They also talked about him being RFA on 1040 today during the discussion of this news. Just parroting what I read/heard.

Should have looked into it and realized his age and games issue....

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Every site I've looked at has him listed as RFA. They also talked about him being RFA on 1040 today during the discussion of this news. Just parroting what I read/heard.

Should have looked into it and realized his age and games issue....

Yeah heard that as well on 1040. So who's giving the "fake" news?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
If he's been hurt the whole time then Willie's comments are completely bizarre and dressing him (even if he didn't play) over Boucher was stupid.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
it is a weird scenario. my sense is willie did not want to play him but did not want to say why.

what if rodin said he could play, and medical cleared him, but the team was skeptical that the player was not really 100%? willie would likely not call him injured in that scenario.

rodin had a huge reason to want to play some games this year to show he is an nhl player to get a contract next year. maybe he refused to face reality for a while.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Rodin is definitely a Group 6 UFA at the end of the year as he's over 25 with less than 80 games in the NHL. It's just such a rare occurrence that sites like CapFriendly probably don't even bother accounting for it.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Rodin is definitely a Group 6 UFA at the end of the year as he's over 25 with less than 80 games in the NHL. It's just such a rare occurrence that sites like CapFriendly probably don't even bother accounting for it.

Also they might not have the algorithm set up to account for in season changes (games played). Like you say it is rare, their systems might only check and pick it up and correctly account for it after the season when they know the games played numbers exactly.

It might still be technically possible for him to play the number of games, miraculous recovery followed by him being traded A LOT, some playoff games.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So after all the machinations, it's finally official....Rodin being shut down for the season....and since he's a UFA in the off-season, it's unlikely he ever surfaces in a Canuck uniform again.

....too bad....looked to have some skill up front for a team desperately in need of it....but just Canuck luck I guess.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
So after all the machinations, it's finally official....Rodin being shut down for the season....and since he's a UFA in the off-season, it's unlikely he ever surfaces in a Canuck uniform again.

....too bad....looked to have some skill up front for a team desperately in need of it....but just Canuck luck I guess.

Remember when Benning said he was gonna be a top 6 forward, and pinned his hopes on that this season?

Good times.

Pump n Dump

Sep 2, 2009
North Vancouver, BC
Read it again.

I'm saying he was mis-handled from when he returned until Jan. 6. He clearly hurt himself again on Jan. 6, which serves as a good excuse for not playing him afterwards.

Summary - He played 3 games in Utica, played Dec. 23, and looked fine but got very limited ice time (normal) then sat all the way until Jan. 2 instead of playing again. He played 4 straight games, showed NO SIGNS of any injury during those 4 games then just sat because we started a winning streak. Played vs the Avs and sat vs the Yotes... i guess there could be reasoning in resting him/easing him in the line-up then but that was after sitting for 10 days? The 10 days made 0 sense and was a horrible job handling him.

He did hurt himself on Jan. 6 so missing time since then its normal.

The excuse of him being injury the entire time is really just a convenient excuse after the fact. WD did say during the win streak that he did NOT know what he had with Rodin and thus did not play him. After Jan. 6, it makes more sense to just blame it on injury (for Dec. 23 - Jan 2 span) because its convenient.

Finally if he was hurt the entire period like the team is more or less trying to imply now, that's a horrible way of handling his injury anyways. If their new claim is try, then he was rushed back for no reason, played 4 games that he shouldn't before resting then his injury got worst and he'll likely be out another extended period.

You should read it again. You said "it [the injury] works as a perfect reason for how he was handled before the injury". How could that injury justify how we has handled before it happened? That makes no sense.

What you are now saying is that the Canucks are now using the "convenient excuse" of Rodin's knee not being 100% the entire time. That makes more sense, but is entirely based on your imagination.

And now you want to hedge your criticism by saying that if Rodin wasn't 100% they shouldn't have "rushed him back in". But the fact is they sent him down to Utica and then were cautious about getting him into games (to the great dismay of many). So he was certainly not rushed.

The more plausible explanation is that Rodin's knee was never 100% - the Canucks and Rodin wanted to give him the chance to see if he could play anyway - it didn't work out. Not everything is the Canucks fault.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Tony G taking a serious run at the Canucks medial staff on the pre-game show....questions why they played Rodin like a rented mule in the exhibition schedule, including a back-to-back.....wonders also about the injury diagnoses for guys like Gundbranson, Hutton and Tanev....makes you wonder.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Tony G taking a serious run at the Canucks medial staff on the pre-game show....questions why they played Rodin like a rented mule in the exhibition schedule, including a back-to-back.....wonders also about the injury diagnoses for guys like Gundbranson, Hutton and Tanev....makes you wonder.

eeyore should fully retire.

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016

Sometimes Tony G is ****ing annoying. Grasping at anything he can to hammer on the team. Maybe he has an account here?

Reminds me of the gripe about trading Kassian being in contradiction of the team's support of Mindcheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad