Player Discussion Anton Rodin (Released from contract)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'd sign him for another year, but he and his agent would demand a one-way contract....not sure the Canucks would offer it without being assured the knee is 100 percent....so it's likely back to Europe for him, unless a team like Vegas takes a flyer on him.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
One way contract would be fine with me.
Get him signed and see what he can do when healthy.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'd sign him for another year, but he and his agent would demand a one-way contract....not sure the Canucks would offer it without being assured the knee is 100 percent....so it's likely back to Europe for him, unless a team like Vegas takes a flyer on him.

One way isn't a problem, I'd pay him $800k or whatever to play in the AHL. It doesn't effect his waiver eligibility so I don't see the downside.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
We really could've handled him better.

True, but we also couldnt have handled him worse. :help: Not really sure why they signed him at all if he wasnt in their plans. Heard he had some other offers which he rejected to remain with the Canucks.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Not really anyone's fault. He had a serious knee injury, and despite the Canucks wanting to give him an NHL look he never really got fully healthy. Unfortunate for him.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Not a shock. He can continue to carve out a nice career in Europe if his knee holds up. The over abundance of veterans in Utica very much worked against him.

Once again the canucks braintrust did a great job building Utica!

Rodin likely should have been released right after camp. Dahlen should be in the AHL now rather than having to wait for January to come around so he can maybe use his out clause. That removes a vet from Utica and gets another talented youngster in Utica you can call up. Still wouldn't have a center to help him but whatever...

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Circumstances really did conspire against Rodin and I don't blame the club. Leading the SHL in scoring while talking to the Canucks about potentially playing in Vancouver the following year...then a significant injury complicated by previously unknown knee structure issue. Had a great camp in 2016 but the knee didn't hold up. No one to blame other than bad luck.
I really liked Rodin from the day he was drafted and wish it had gone better for him. Unlikely he gets picked up by an NHL club. He'll probably be playing in the SHL soon up against the new leading scorer who could very well be in a Vancouver jersey next fall. :)

May 31, 2006
The end of an era. He was Canucks property for almost a decade... longest serving player after the Sedins and Edler.

All the best to him. Too bad injuries and the fact that we was an extreme late bloomer held him back. Should probably be an elite European league player for a while. He probably wanted also wanted the chance to dress up for Sweden in the Olympics.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I think we messed this up, hard to know what he would have brought to the team. We should have given him a chance, this desire to make the playoffs over properly developing a team .... not so good

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I think we messed this up, hard to know what he would have brought to the team. We should have given him a chance, this desire to make the playoffs over properly developing a team .... not so good
Anton Rodin isn't a prospect so there's really no "developing"
Plus he's too injury prone

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just goes to show the vagaries of pro hockey.....kid was lighting up the SHL before a freak knee injury in practice started the downward spiral.....tendon behind the knee sliced by a skate-blade and despite multiple surgeries not sure he'll ever be the same....seems to me he's lacking that explosiveness and lateral mobility that attracted the Canucks to draft him in the first place.

Really hope the knee holds up and he can carve out career on the bigger European ice. But a reminder I guess that for pro hockey players the possibility of a career-threatening injury is always there. So I don't have any problem with the player and his agent trying to hit a home-run on every contract. There's always the risk that it might be their last.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Not really anyone's fault. He had a serious knee injury, and despite the Canucks wanting to give him an NHL look he never really got fully healthy. Unfortunate for him.

Well the first part of the story is that he originally also did not make a case for himself for an NHL job whatsoever and looked like a bust pick after a pretty good look. But, yeah, that is the whole story.

It sucks that he hurt himself badly when he finally looked like he might not be a total waste of a pick. I was rooting for him.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I'll never forget the alternate dimension where Anton Rodin, Cody Hodgson and Jordan Schroeder delivered the Canucks a championship in 201x

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
giphy.gif

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Could have played him and given him a chance rather than sign Vanek.

There'd also be a free spot for him if they didn't sign Eriksson to an albatross of a contract...

Really too bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad