Anthony Mantha (looking good so far in AHL)

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
So a big body winger who can skate, and set up teammates has no value as a call-up?

I don't mind letting Mantha develop in the AHL right now, but cherry-picking just goals to make your point when he's playing good otherwise is deceiving.

Last season he scored 15 goals and 18 assists in the AHL and management came out and publicly called his season disappointing, but noted it was his first taste of pro hockey.

He is now on pace for what 10 goals this season.... Are you going to tell me that if he finishes the year with 10, 11, 12, or even 15 goals again, that it was a success?

Last season, he scored 15G, 18A for 33 pts in 62 games. .532 PPG
this season, if he continues the same pace and plays ALL the remaining games on the schedule, he will finish with 10G, 32A 42pts in 71 games .591 PPG which would only marginally be better than last season and down from a goal scoring perspective.

I don't see Mantha getting a call up until he is near PPG territory with the goals coming a lot more often than they are this season. Mantha's shooting % is way low though, so hopefully that isn't sustainable and he starts potting a few more as the season goes on. if not, I hope the Wings PR folks better do a better job keeping the cameras out of Jimmy D's office this season.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
this season, if he continues the same pace and plays ALL the remaining games on the schedule, he will finish with 10G, 32A 42pts in 71 games .591 PPG which would only marginally be better than last season and down from a goal scoring perspective.
Pretty sure this math is off.

It's also ignoring the fact that the start was horribly slow and that he has been scoring at a PPG+ lately.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Last season he scored 15 goals and 18 assists in the AHL and management came out and publicly called his season disappointing, but noted it was his first taste of pro hockey.

He is now on pace for what 10 goals this season.... Are you going to tell me that if he finishes the year with 10, 11, 12, or even 15 goals again, that it was a success?

I don't see Mantha getting a call up until he is near PPG territory with the goals coming a lot more often than they are this season. Mantha's shooting % is way low though, so hopefully that isn't sustainable and he starts potting a few more as the season goes on. if not, I hope the Wings PR folks better do a better job keeping the cameras out of Jimmy D's office this season.

Yeah, not even close to the right math. He had .53 ppg last year and if he keeps up his current pace, he would end this season with 54 points in 71 games which is .76 ppg. That is a good jump for a second year player and it includes a terrible start.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, not even close to the right math. He had .53 ppg last year and if he keeps up his current pace, he would end this season with 54 points in 71 games which is .76 ppg. That is a good jump for a second year player and it includes a terrible start.

Yep you need to take that start into consideration as well. Its not like hes a Jurco down there who just wasnt producing or getting chances, Mantha has looked good all season but the entire team wasnt scoring with a new coach.

Once they all got adjusted Mantha started scoring and is one of the biggest reasons theyve been on the crazy win streak. People can say what they want and watch the boxscores but for all the people who have been watching the games, Mantha has been much better overall this season and the points are starting to show now as well

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
0 goals. But he has 10000 assists.

Too bad he cant be brought up cause Tangradi has 1 goal 0 assists.

That Logic makes no sense.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Russo rebound deflected off his stomach or arm and went in. Stopped on a breakaway the following shift.

He put it in with his stick, and he scored on a breakaway later in the game so that redeems the failed one. Overall he's finally getting the stats to match his play which has been stellar all season without the points coming though like they should be. Mantha is still probably our best prospect (ignoring Larkin who is no longer a prospect by most standards) except maybe Svech...who is close. :popcorn:

Brandel*

hmm looked like he got the first one with his stick a bit before it crossed the line.

He put it in with his stick, and he scored on a breakaway later in the game so that redeems the failed one. Overall he's finally getting the stats to match his play which has been stellar all season without the points coming though like they should be. Mantha is still probably our best prospect (ignoring Larkin who is no longer a prospect by most standards) except maybe Svech...who is close. :popcorn:

Yeah, sorry he did manage to put it in with his stick after knocking it down with his hand I believe. Low quality stream

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Put Mantha with Datsyuk and Richards for a game and see how he looks. Move Helm to the 4th line. Scratch Andersson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad