Anthony Mantha (looking good so far in AHL)

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Athanasiou only played about 8-10 minutes with the 4th line when he was called up, so I don't understand why there is this feeling Mantha (or even AA again) wouldn't be put into that role.
Athanasiou is better suited to play a 4th line role with his speed and back-checking ability than Mantha ever would be. Mantha on the fourth line would be a waste.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Athanasiou only played about 8-10 minutes with the 4th line when he was called up, so I don't understand why there is this feeling Mantha (or even AA again) wouldn't be put into that role.

Athanasiou played all his minutes at Top9 lines with a small ice-time. Not at 4th line (if you mean 4th is that Glendening line).

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Mantha isn't going to get a call up just to see if he can fit into an NHL lineup. He's going to get a call-up to see where his progress is with respect to being a scoring winger.

Athanasiou, on the other hand, doesn't have a clear trajectory and, regardless of age, he's still 2 years ahead of Mantha on the development track. It makes sense to call him up to see where he fits in an NHL lineup. There's no reason he can't end up being better than Mantha, but he simply isn't being counted on nor groomed to be an NHL scorer in the same way Mantha is. He could be a scorer, a grinder, or an energy guy. Mantha is only going to be anything other than a scoring winger if he goes the Dan Cleary Rehab Center.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Mantha isn't going to get a call up just to see if he can fit into an NHL lineup. He's going to get a call-up to see where his progress is with respect to being a scoring winger.

Athanasiou, on the other hand, doesn't have a clear trajectory and, regardless of age, he's still 2 years ahead of Mantha on the development track. It makes sense to call him up to see where he fits in an NHL lineup. There's no reason he can't end up being better than Mantha, but he simply isn't being counted on nor groomed to be an NHL scorer in the same way Mantha is. He could be a scorer, a grinder, or an energy guy. Mantha is only going to be anything other than a scoring winger if he goes the Dan Cleary Rehab Center.

How so? Because he's played a few more games in Junior? Mantha's played more AHL games, and AA has been outproducing him ever since turning pro. They are the same age also. AA played more games than Mantha in his first year in the CHL at the age 16. Those 50 extra games at 16 doesn't mean AA has two more years of development over Mantha.

The fact that AA can play anywhere in the lineup is a testament to his skill. Mantha's one dimensional and can only play a specifically defined role. AA projects as a scoring line winger at the next level too. Just because he can play in the bottom 6 as an energy guy doesn't mean he doesn't have a clear trajectory. He has much better gifts/tools than Mantha too, imo. If AA continues his trajectory, he has future Top 6er written all over him. Mantha wishes he had AA's hands and speed. Mantha has the better shot (But it is AA who has more goals in less games than Mantha) and is a slightly better passer. He has better size too, but thats about it.

And why would he be getting top minutes in GR if he wasn't being groomed for a Top 6 role?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
How so? Because he's played a few more games in Junior? Mantha's played more AHL games, and AA has been outproducing him ever since turning pro. They are the same age also. AA played more games than Mantha in his first year in the CHL at the age 16. Those 50 extra games at 16 doesn't mean AA has two more years of development over Mantha.

The fact that AA can play anywhere in the lineup is a testament to his skill. Mantha's one dimensional and can only play a specifically defined role. AA projects as a scoring line winger at the next level too. Just because he can play in the bottom 6 as an energy guy doesn't mean he doesn't have a clear trajectory. He has much better gifts/tools than Mantha too, imo. If AA continues his trajectory, he has future Top 6er written all over him. Mantha wishes he had AA's hands and speed. Mantha has the better shot (But it is AA who has more goals in less games than Mantha) and is a slightly better passer. He has better size too, but thats about it.

And why would he be getting top minutes in GR if he wasn't being groomed for a Top 6 role?

Are you trying to argue that AA is not only a better prospect than Mantha currently, but will also be a better NHL player? That's silly.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Are you trying to argue that AA is not only a better prospect than Mantha currently, but will also be a better NHL player? That's silly.

I think hes just trying to figure out why AA is 2 YEARS ahead of Mantha in development.

Mantha is producing like he could get a call up right now. Probably playing like it as well for at least 5 or so games. I don't see how AA is 2 years ahead.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I'm going to be that guy. I think Mantha has better hands than AA. AA is a flashier deker, but he's not particularly good at protecting the puck when he isn't going a million miles an hour. Mantha does a better job of actually managing the puck, even if he's not trying to put it through a guy's skates every shift.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Mantha isn't ready for the bigs. He needs to continue to do well in the AHL and build his confidence.

AA is ready for the bottom 6 now. But what Wings really need is more grit. Neither AA nor Mantha provide that. Andersson is a big body that is probably more physical than the aforementioned players combined... which says a lot.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'm going to be that guy. I think Mantha has better hands than AA. AA is a flashier deker, but he's not particularly good at protecting the puck when he isn't going a million miles an hour. Mantha does a better job of actually managing the puck, even if he's not trying to put it through a guy's skates every shift.

I kinda agree with this. A lot of the stuff that makes people love AA's hands I just dont see a lot of it being done at the NHL level. Mantha isnt flasy but manages the puck well, has a longer reach and just seems like he can hold onto it better for some reason.

Obviously they both have great hands but theyre different and I actually see Mantha translating his offense to the NHL better than AA.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Mantha isn't ready for the bigs. He needs to continue to do well in the AHL and build his confidence.

AA is ready for the bottom 6 now. But what Wings really need is more grit. Neither AA nor Mantha provide that. Andersson is a big body that is probably more physical than the aforementioned players combined... which says a lot.

I think AA is more physical then Andersson...

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Not sure what kind of agenda you're clinging to but Anderson isn't more physical than anyone, let alone anyone combined. It's not an exaggeration to say Andy is one of the softest NHLers, period.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Joker is serviceable cheap forward. :yo::yo: and a little physical.

If he can be described as physical at all than you can say that about literally any forward in the NHL. Every NHLer takes and gives a hit every now and then, Andersson less than most

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Andersson is physical? :laugh:

206ibs of dead weight. He's not more physical by choice, he's just a bigger body that is more devastating man-on-man contact than Mantha or AA.

Wings are soft enough. I am not sure adding AA and removing a 4th line 206ib plug that has body weight will make the team any stronger. Wings are a soft skilled team with speed. More grit is needed just as much as a top 3 defensman. Abdelkader locked up for 7 years is a very underrated signing... they need another one just like him.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
206ibs of dead weight. He's not more physical by choice, he's just a bigger body that is more devastating man-on-man contact than Mantha or AA.

Wings are soft enough. I am not sure adding AA and removing a 4th line 206ib plug that has body weight will make the team any stronger. Wings are a soft skilled team with speed. More grit is needed just as much as a top 3 defensman. Abdelkader locked up for 7 years is a very underrated signing... they need another one just like him.

It doesnt matter if hes bigger, he doesnt use his body at all. Mantha is 6'5 and over 200 lbs, if your size is all that matters than he would be an improvement over almost anyone on the wings.

Andersson is the opposite of physical. Getting rid of him would make the wings at the very least a wash in physicality (because he isnt) and likely an upgrade because someone will be a little faster so they have a better chance of even accidentally running into someone with some speed. I agree more grit is needed, but Andersson is a big part of that problem and should be gone to help fix it

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
It doesnt matter if hes bigger, he doesnt use his body at all. Mantha is 6'5 and over 200 lbs, if your size is all that matters than he would be an improvement over almost anyone on the wings.

Andersson is the opposite of physical. Getting rid of him would make the wings at the very least a wash in physicality (because he isnt) and likely an upgrade because someone will be a little faster so they have a better chance of even accidentally running into someone with some speed. I agree more grit is needed, but Andersson is a big part of that problem and should be gone to help fix it
Andersson isn't a big part of any problem with this team; he has only played in about half of the Wings' games at less than 10 minutes a game. Waiving him isn't going to fix much of anything.

It's easy for fans blame the bottom of the roster players for their teams' problems because it's easy to replace them. Real change comes from the top, and it's often extremely difficult to implement. Great teams are great because their top players are better than other teams' top players, not because they have the best third defensive pairing or fourth line.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Andersson isn't a big part of any problem with this team; he has only played in about half of the Wings' games at less than 10 minutes a game. Waiving him isn't going to fix much of anything.

It's easy for fans blame the bottom of the roster players for their teams' problems because it's easy to replace them. Real change comes from the top, and it's often extremely difficult to implement. Great teams are great because their top players are better than other teams' top players, not because they have the best third defensive pairing or fourth line.

The bottom of the roster players are generally the ones that are to blame for a teams lack of physicality. The only real change from the top that can be had is if Detroit gets their hands on a 20 goal power forward which seems unlikely. ABdelkader is already up there so there is some physicality already in the top 6. The bottom 6 and especially fourth line is soft as butter and is definitely a large part of the problem.

I dont think Mantha will or should be brought up to play on the fourth line but if he was, his physicality is at least going to replace Anderssons. As for the last part, thats completely not true, I would argue Colorado's top talent was just as good as Detroits in the rivalry days, where Detroit won out was guys like the grind line stepping up. Mantha will be one of those top skill guys but the fourth line on this roster is pathetic.

You say you cant blame bottom end guys for a teams problem, but do you think if the wings traded their fourth line for the Islanders, that the wings wouldnt automatically become one of the most physical teams in the league? The fourth line can have a big impact, the grind line should have shown you that

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If Mantha is called up, he needs to play on the top 6 or top 9. Not the 4th line. And he isn't better than anyone on the top 9 right now. He's not the "fix" to the the team. I think Quincey returning will make the biggest impact to helping the team win. But most importantly, Datsyuk and Zetterberg have been a shell of their former self. They to notch it up drastically. Wings can only depend on Larkin for so long.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
If Mantha is called up, he needs to play on the top 6 or top 9. Not the 4th line. And he isn't better than anyone on the top 9 right now. He's not the "fix" to the the team. I think Quincey returning will make the biggest impact to helping the team win. But most importantly, Datsyuk and Zetterberg have been a shell of their former self. They to notch it up drastically. Wings can only depend on Larkin for so long.

Z is leading the team in points, again. What else is he supposed to do? Larkin is not leading this team. Have him Center is own line and he wouldn't be doing nearly as well as he is now.

Z is a shell of his former self? Well, no ****. He's 35 and out of his prime. Funnily enough he still leads this team in scoring every year, and this year won't be any different.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Z is leading the team in points, again. What else is he supposed to do? Larkin is not leading this team. Have him Center is own line and he wouldn't be doing nearly as well as he is now.

Z is a shell of his former self? Well, no ****. He's 35 and out of his prime. Funnily enough he still leads this team in scoring every year, and this year won't be any different.

Almost 45% of games he's played this season he went pointless. And is a -4 in his pointless games. Only has 6 goals to date... takes almost $7 million in cap hit.

But I regress, Mantha isn't better than anyone in the top 9, so no point in calling him up. Leave him in the AHL so he can work on his game. Wings are soft as butter, nothing Mantha will do to change that.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
But I regress, Mantha isn't better than anyone in the top 9, so no point in calling him up. Leave him in the AHL so he can work on his game. Wings are soft as butter, nothing Mantha will do to change that.

You don't think he'd be better than Helm or Richards?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00