Anthony Mantha (looking good so far in AHL)

Brandel*

Didn't really get that vibe, and his only other 2 real options are suspended or hurt.

"I thought Anthony played well," Blashill said. "I liked the fact I thought he did a good job skating away from the puck, to get the puck or track back, and I thought he won battles. If Anthony Mantha does those things, he is going to be a real good NHL player in time. He looks an NHL guy with his size and skill set, he just has to continue to grow as a hockey player. I think he is gaining confidence, we have to be very careful to make sure he stays in a position where he can continue to gain confidence."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/12/17/detroit-red-wings-prospects/77488140/

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
The fan in me wants to see Mantha with Datsyuk next game, but the best option is probably leave him down there to build his confidence. This is the best he’s played in 1.5 years, don’t wanna ruin it

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Mantha should probably play the full season in Grand Rapids, I think he takes time to grow acclimated to more difficult competition.

Agreed, however I don't think a mini stint with Detroit (2-5 games) would hurt him in any way. In a way, it could be good for his confidence to at least play a few NHL games, and show that he is not out of place.

If he keeps playing well all year in GR, I'd be all for him being on the opening night roster next year. We do have a lot of forwards, but we should make room for him. He brings much needed size.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Yeah a 2 game call up would be a pretty solid reward for really bouncing back this season and playing well. I really doubt 2 games would hurt his confidence though, just make sure he knows hes getting a 2 gme stint and going back down. That was after being demoted he'll know it wasnt because of poor play.

With Tangradi suspended and AA hurt, who else is an option? AA shouldnt come back from an injury straight into NHL action. I guess Callahan could get a call for the fourth line, hes been playing well down there. I would be very surprised if it wasnt Mantha or Callahan called up.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Yeah a 2 game call up would be a pretty solid reward for really bouncing back this season and playing well. I really doubt 2 games would hurt his confidence though, just make sure he knows hes getting a 2 gme stint and going back down. That was after being demoted he'll know it wasnt because of poor play.

With Tangradi suspended and AA hurt, who else is an option? AA shouldnt come back from an injury straight into NHL action. I guess Callahan could get a call for the fourth line, hes been playing well down there. I would be very surprised if it wasnt Mantha or Callahan called up.

I would say Nosek is on the short list if need a bottom 6er. He might be ahead of Cally as well.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I would say Nosek is on the short list if need a bottom 6er. He might be ahead of Cally as well.

Nosek has been **** this year and played like **** in training camp as well. There is no good reason he should be called up and would likely piss off some of the other guys that are actually playing well

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
What's the best for a young player's confidence... get called up for 1 or 2 games and play very limited minutes and not close to scoring points or continue to play maximal minutes and producing many points in the AHL?

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
What's the best for a young player's confidence... get called up for 1 or 2 games and play very limited minutes and not close to scoring points or continue to play maximal minutes and producing many points in the AHL?

This. So many talented prospects are pressed into roles that they aren't ready for or not appropriate to fill. Moving Mantha up to what would be a 4th line winger role, where he would get 8 minutes of time, and asked to fill the role of a 4th liner and take his eye off of focusing on his scoring. If he meets some adversity (Which they all do at some point) where does that leave him?

Let him feast in the AHL. Let him build his confidence. Having him believe in himself that "I can do this and no one can stop me" is the best possible armor he could have when he is tossed into the grind of the NHL. To be the very best, you have to think you are the best and dominating the lower levels, will add to that psychological strength.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This. So many talented prospects are pressed into roles that they aren't ready for or not appropriate to fill. Moving Mantha up to what would be a 4th line winger role, where he would get 8 minutes of time, and asked to fill the role of a 4th liner and take his eye off of focusing on his scoring. If he meets some adversity (Which they all do at some point) where does that leave him?

Let him feast in the AHL. Let him build his confidence. Having him believe in himself that "I can do this and no one can stop me" is the best possible armor he could have when he is tossed into the grind of the NHL. To be the very best, you have to think you are the best and dominating the lower levels, will add to that psychological strength.

Who said he would get 8 minutes? The reason we haven't called anyone up until now was there wasn't a top 9 spot open, per Blashill. So if they are going to call someone up, I'm assuming it's contingent on them playing in our top 9.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I don't get why everyone acts like it's so black and white.

He can get called up to the NHL and score 4 goals in 2 games and it can help his confidence.
He can get called up to the NHL and look completely out of place and it can hurt his confidence.
He can stay in the AHL and dominate the competition and it can help his confidence.
He can stay in the AHL and not get a point in his next 15 games and it can hurt his confidence.

All of that and everything in between is possible. It's not some simple A or B question

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
People need to stop acting like he is missing out on an opportunity to feast on AHL competition if he is called up. Both articles mention that the call-up will occur after Saturday's GR game. The AHL has all of next week off.

I think it will be Cally or Mantha, unless AA is healthy enough to play tonight.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
People need to stop acting like he is missing out on an opportunity to feast on AHL competition if he is called up. Both articles mention that the call-up will occur after Saturday's GR game. The AHL has all of next week off.

I think it will be Cally or Mantha, unless AA is healthy enough to play tonight.

So there is going to be a call-up for sure?

RELEASE THE MANTHAN

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
AA has been dominant in the AHL since he returned from his callup. Giving Mantha a shot to see where he stands against the best.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
I would love for Cally to get a call up. Or Tangradi whenever he gets back. Lets let Mantha thrive for a little longer before calling him up.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Last game Mantha scored 2 goals but completely floated on a horrible goal against. It was brutal and lazy. To me, that play alone whipped out the 2 goals he scored that game... and should disqualify him from being next call up to the NHL. He needs to stop being a lazy floater in the defensive zone. It was brutal!

Can't reward him for being lazy.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Last game Mantha scored 2 goals but completely floated on a horrible goal against. It was brutal and lazy. To me, that play alone whipped out the 2 goals he scored that game... and should disqualify him from being next call up to the NHL. He needs to stop being a lazy floater in the defensive zone. It was brutal!

Can't reward him for being lazy.
You're seeing things. Neither goal was on Mantha.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
You're seeing things. Neither goal was on Mantha.

Clearly Jensen's man getting inside position on him is Mantha's fault.

Obviously Mantha was supposed to predict Jensen would lose the positional battle and jump in to help out, leaving his man open.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2