Anthony Mantha (looking good so far in AHL)

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I've been watching Mantha in the AHL this season and he's been great. His skating is amazing for such a big guy, he's not shying away from physical play, his passing is absolutely underrated and the puck always seems to find him.

Despite not tearing up the AHL in goals, he's been a mighty fine player down there. His points will come. I'm actually very excited about seeing him in the NHL. When he gets to play with some good talent, I think the possibilities are endless.

He is rounding out his game exactly like Red Wings want.

I would not at all be suprised to see Mantha be a better nhler than ahl guy. I also would be surprised if it all just clicks for him at like age 24 or 25 and he just starts to dominate offensively.
This. I would like to see what he can do with Datsyuk.
Richards? Wow. Someone called him Cleary-tis. He has to get it going, but for now.
Andersson?.... Put Helm down on the 4th where he belongs, Jurco stays just because, Mantha tries out with Datsyuk. Not impossible.
Yes, try him with Datsyuk.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
For a stretch of 3-4 games, I would like to see the line up as follows just to see what happens...

Larkin - Z - Abby/Sheahan
Richards - D - Mantha
Nyquist - AA - Tatar
Sheahan/Abby- Gendening - Helm

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The other thing I wanted to mention with Mantha (before the site went kablooey last night) is that he does not appear to be getting a lot of ice time. I know my assumption was that with Pulkkinen and friends gone, AA and Mantha would be out there a ton. But it looks like their first line is the Miele line.

I didn't see Mantha getting a ton of PP time, either. Some, of course, but not as much as you would think. So we should back off on the whole "omg he hasn't scored!" thing. He hasn't been playing easy, offensive minutes.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Mantha has seven point in his last seven games...

1 Goal and six assists.

He would be one of the strangest healthy scratches you could imagine. Maybe he is the callup and they didn't want to step on the Wings toes and are waiting for their official announcement.

EDIT: Credit to Nelson's gut though as Frk just hammered in a goal, so putting him in was a good idea, just disagree with Mantha being sacrificed unless we find out more.

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

1 Goal and six assists.

He would be one of the strangest healthy scratches you could imagine. Maybe he is the callup and they didn't want to step on the Wings toes and are waiting for their official announcement.

EDIT: Credit to Nelson's gut though as Frk just hammered in a goal, so putting him in was a good idea, just disagree with Mantha being sacrificed unless we find out more.

I really hope this could mean he might get called up. Wont get my hopes up though.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

1 Goal and six assists.

The only thing I could think of happening is Mantha was late for a team meeting or something because he has been really goood on this win streak for thr Griffs. It wouldnt make sense to take him out just cause Frk hasnt played in a while. They would take someone like Campbell or something out over Mantha.

A call up could definitely be the case here and maybe they dont plan on making it official until tomorrow? Maybe Mantha has joined the wings but hasnt officially been called up yet?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The only thing I could think of happening is Mantha was late for a team meeting or something because he has been really goood on this win streak for thr Griffs. It wouldnt make sense to take him out just cause Frk hasnt played in a while. They would take someone like Campbell or something out over Mantha.

A call up could definitely be the case here and maybe they dont plan on making it official until tomorrow? Maybe Mantha has joined the wings but hasnt officially been called up yet?

If he was late for a meeting or something of that nature, totally fine with him sitting.

I am hoping it is the other for sure in terms of a callup waiting to be made official by the big club.

Would be surprised if Mantha was sat for discipline reasons have really never heard anything of that nature about him. For as down as people can be about his shift to shift effort over the years, his coaches have always lauded his work ethic in terms of willing to work on things and putting in the work to get better. A missed meeting would be out of character to what we know about him until this point.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
If he was late for a meeting or something of that nature, totally fine with him sitting.

I am hoping it is the other for sure in terms of a callup waiting to be made official by the big club.

Would be surprised if Mantha was sat for discipline reasons have really never heard anything of that nature about him. For as down as people can be about his shift to shift effort over the years, his coaches have always lauded his work ethic in terms of willing to work on things and putting in the work to get better. A missed meeting would be out of character to what we know about him until this point.

Being late to a meeting, being sick/hurt, or getting a call up are the only valid reasons. if he was a healthy scratch due to performance? It's absurdity.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I agree and I think Nelson would have called him out and said Frk is playing because Mantha was late for a meeting if that were the case. He wouldnt have calmly said they just wanted to get Frk in the line up and take out one of their hottest players on an 8 game win streak. I'm fine with it too if thats the case but I'm with you, doesnt seem like hes that type of player and I think more would've been heard about it.

He also couldve reaggravated his injury but I think Nelson would have said that as well.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Outlandish thought: not only are they calling him up, they are going to play him and didn't want him to play three games in three nights. ;)

Aug 6, 2012
With no need for a center and a desperate need for some goal scoring ability on the wing, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mantha be called up. Let's hope so!

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Outlandish thought: not only are they calling him up, they are going to play him and didn't want him to play three games in three nights. ;)

Doubt they'd call him up unless they planned on playing him, so you can bet on seeing him if they do. But I don't want to get my hopes up until we actually hear something.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Makes no sense to bench him if he's not hurt. Especially since he just had a bunch of games off while he recovered from an injury so if anything he needs to play more.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I dont see where we could Slot Mantha. Though getting dominated against washington (sort of) makes it easier to call him up.

Still got a point in 11 games though. And dominated most of the teams we played. Makes it hard

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I dont see where we could Slot Mantha. Though getting dominated against washington (sort of) makes it easier to call him up.

Still got a point in 11 games though. And dominated most of the teams we played. Makes it hard

Just based off how Blash has the lines looking lately

Larkin-Zetterberg-Abdelkader
Richards-Datsyuk-Mantha
Nyquist-Sheahan-Tatar
Helm-Glendening-Andersson/Jurco

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
LOl, they aren't calling up Mantha! he was just made a healthy scratch for not scoring and you guys think he's being called up. hahaha good one.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
LOl, they aren't calling up Mantha! he was just made a healthy scratch for not scoring and you guys think he's being called up. hahaha good one.

No we don't think that. It was the only explanation we could give because he has been productive - 7 pts in his past 7 games

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mantha on Datsyuk's wing is something I would love to see. If he caught fire like Larkin I'd probably die.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
No we don't think that. It was the only explanation we could give because he has been productive - 7 pts in his past 7 games

Productive?!? He's on pace for 9 goals this season!!!! Last season, he scored 15 goals and management was all over him for a dissappointing season..... he is now on pace for an even less productive year and you are arguing that he has been productive?!? OK.

Mantha may have 7 points in his last 7 games, but how many are goals?!?

Did you notice he was sat in favor of playing Frk, who jumped into Mantha's spot and proceeded to score the game winning goal?!? Did you also notice that Frk now has TWICE as many goals as Mantha does, in fewer games..... Mantha needs to start scoring some goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00