News: Ansar Khan - Green Will Waive His NTC for Tampa Bay and Other Potential DET Moves

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
His speculation is mildly controversial (we wouldn’t be having this conversation if it wasn’t). As another poster mentioned, moving Kap does not make sense for the Leafs. The controversy leads to discussion, discussion leads to more hits/views on the article. I don’t doubt he’s a great local beat writer, I would be surprised if Green didn’t go to Tampa, but the part on Kapanen is ridiculous and unnecessary, it’s nothing other than speculation and to an extent clickbaity.

to be fair this writer knows the Detroit side of things well. And is likely well informed. Its a really interesting article for us Wings fans.

I expect he just does not know much about leafs prospects in general. So he almost for sure fully speculating on the name Kapanen. Its clearly a dog whistle for leafs fans, and even us wings fans know Kapanen is highly touted right now, and he wont be traded. Replace "Kapanen" with B or B+ Prospect... I dont know who that would be for Leafs.. You tell me.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Can someone give an honest assessment of Green's play in his own zone?

It's well documented that he has a lot of offensive accument.

If all you know about Green is his reputation from WSH you would think:

Offense: 10/10
Defense: 1/10

Over 3 years with the wings, I would say Green has become a much more well rounded D man:

Offense: 7/10
Defense: 5/10

One clueless media member makes up a fake news tweet and people get crazy throwing out Kapanen for Glendening.

Does everyone knows he’s a 4th liner with 4 years on his contract? He has negative value...

Now now.. not every player signed to term is an anchor. And 1.8 Mil is not a lot considering how much Glendening is used. Also you may be learning as a leaf fan, that Babcock likes mixing hard working guys with skilled guys (Hyman). And he will most definitely like Glendening, see the red wings/tampa playoff series a few years ago and how much Babcock used Glendening. It was clearly a source of debate. But i can say, coaches love this guy (Luke).

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Where the hell do the lightning slot Green in? I take it they would be bringing him in for his puck moving so I doubt they would play him with Hedman since Heddy is just fine at that. They probably move Stralman back up with Hedman and put Green on second pair right side. But with whom?

Dotchin’s been such a disaster on the top pairing that Green would be an upgrade on him defensively, even though that’s not what he’s known for. I would think that would make more sense than pairing him with Serg or Coburn.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
If all you know about Green is his reputation from WSH you would think:

Offense: 10/10
Defense: 1/10

Over 3 years with the wings, I would say Green has become a much more well rounded D man:

Offense: 7/10
Defense: 5/10

Now now.. not every player signed to term is an anchor. And 1.8 Mil is not a lot considering how much Glendening is used. Also you may be learning as a leaf fan, that Babcock likes mixing hard working guys with skilled guys (Hyman). And he will most definitely like Glendening, see the red wings/tampa playoff series a few years ago and how much Babcock used Glendening. It was clearly a source of debate. But i can say, coaches love this guy (Luke).

Don't agree...Literally every 4th liner with term is an anchor (even Matt Martin). Good teams use bargin bin veterans on short deals or prospects on their 4th lines. Bad teams have 4th liners with term. Just look at how all of the successful organizations are using their 4th lines. Boston is a great example of this. Winnipeg too.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Dotchin’s been such a disaster on the top pairing that Green would be an upgrade on him defensively, even though that’s not what he’s known for. I would think that would make more sense than pairing him with Serg or Coburn.
But isn't the point of bringing Green in is to utilize his transition and offensive game? If so, no need to pair him with Hedman. That would be a waste. We would need him to bring that skill set when Hedman is not on the ice.

member 147413

to be fair this writer knows the Detroit side of things well. And is likely well informed. Its a really interesting article for us Wings fans.

I expect he just does not know much about leafs prospects in general. So he almost for sure fully speculating on the name Kapanen. Its clearly a dog whistle for leafs fans, and even us wings fans know Kapanen is highly touted right now, and he wont be traded. Replace "Kapanen" with B or B+ Prospect... I dont know who that would be for Leafs.. You tell me.
I never considered he may not know much about Leafs prospects, I digress. Someone like Bracco would be more along a B or B+ for us.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Never knew Babcock was a GM.

To want to play a defensive minded vet that he’s comfortable with? You have to be a GM to do that? I wasn’t talking about him actually making the deal but if there’s a certain player he wanted that he knows then he can request that Uncle Lou try and get that particular player.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Can someone give an honest assessment of Green's play in his own zone?

It's well documented that he has a lot of offensive accument.

It can be OK to downright pathetic. On a contending team he shouldn't see the ice in the closing minutes of a game trying to defend a lead.

Which vet did the Leafs pay a premium for? Laughable idea here...

It's not like this current management has been in this situation before with the Leafs organization. As the person you quoted stated Babs loves vets and grinders. Leafs are now in a position where they can trade picks to get vets to round out their core. It's no longer their goal just to make the playoffs but to make a real run. You all can bet Babs has a say when it comes to trades.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

No you were fine. Kapanen is not the be all end all of prospects and he' a fair ask in such a trade.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
At this point in time, I would. We haven't had the best luck with first rounders in the Yzerman era, and I think a guy that plays the type of game Erne does will be relatively useful to TB in the near future.

I don't necessarily walk away if it's Erne and a 2nd, I'd just rather give up the late first.

Connolly turned into a decent player, Namestnikov is a nice part of our success, Vasilevskiy is elite, Koekkoek has moments and looks like he could be a solid player for awhile, Drouin and DeAngelo were flipped for pieces that look promising, Howden and Foote are developing good. One elite, some good but no complete busts.

Erne doesn't have a top 6 future with us and even a 3rd line role next year looks out. We have other players in the system who could replace him. He'd be a good depth piece next year but getting a Woo, the right hand PMD we lack, is a better than having Erne around. We could always recoup a second or an Erne type prospect in a Koekkoek or Coburn trade at the draft.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Yup considering that most Leaf fans say he's as good as Mantha if not better. I :laugh: when i saw Leaf fans comparing Kapanen to Mantha.

You should post up some links, most Leafs fans is a mighty large number so I'm a little surprised this is news to me.

Regardless, even if true (which it isn't), that has nothing to do with you stat watching and basing an opinion on his numbers alone without any context.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Well if the puck is in the other teams offensive zone more that should minimize the amount of scoring chances against us.

So too would blocking shots, winning board battles and clearing the zone on the first try. Sadly none of these things are what Green is known for or exceptionally good at

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad