News: Ansar Khan - Green Will Waive His NTC for Tampa Bay and Other Potential DET Moves

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I don't think it would be bad for the Leafs.

With what they have up front already, and having to pay out a few of their high level forwards soon. Glendening is a good bottom-6 player that has contract and cost stability for another three seasons.

These are two very different styles of players and of course everyone here values the 'skill' player much more. I actually think it would be a pretty even trade, however. Maybe Detroit needs to throw in a mid-round pick.

Kapanen is never going to be that special of an offensive player. I think he has a good overall skill-set in a few different capacities and will have a decent career, but I don't think he'll ever tear it up offensively.

This would actually be a great 'hockey trade'.

No, it wouldn't.

Kapanen has all the tools to be a productive top 6 player and he's also very reliable defensively and even penalty kills for us as essentially a rookie.

Glendening is a good faceoff guy and another pk guy and that has value but we don't need it so badly that trading Kapanen's potential makes any sense

Kapanen is most likely the plan to get an increased role next year when JVR is gone.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Green improves Tampa quite a bit, if it only costs a 1st and a mid level prospect, that’s a trade they should make.
I read it to be a first OR a second and an NHL ready prospect. I do a first before I give up a guy that can step onto their roster next year AND a second.

Reactions: FishManSam

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Unless Kapanen is traded for Glendening, there is no other reason to mention it other than click bait.

It’s so obvious that any GM would love a high potential prospect for their depth players that it shouldn’t be mentioned.

I don’t doubt his credibility, but as this thread is a great example. If there’s any hint of Leafs, our insane fan base spreads like wildfire.

That is ridiculous. So you would rather have zero information about potential trades and only reports of trades that actually occur? Would you be happy if he left it at asking price is high, or is that also clickbait? You realize he writes for a local Michigan news media that has the vast majority of its traffic come in for non hockey related news. He is not trying to generate Leafs traffic from a few hardcore Leafs fans.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think it would be bad for the Leafs.

With what they have up front already, and having to pay out a few of their high level forwards soon. Glendening is a good bottom-6 player that has contract and cost stability for another three seasons.

These are two very different styles of players and of course everyone here values the 'skill' player much more. I actually think it would be a pretty even trade, however. Maybe Detroit needs to throw in a mid-round pick.

Kapanen is never going to be that special of an offensive player. I think he has a good overall skill-set in a few different capacities and will have a decent career, but I don't think he'll ever tear it up offensively.

This would actually be a great 'hockey trade'.

Wretched post.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
That is ridiculous. So you would rather have zero information about potential trades and only reports of trades that actually occur? Would you be happy if he left it at asking price is high, or is that also clickbait? You realize he writes for a local Michigan news media that has the vast majority of its traffic come in for non hockey related news. He is not trying to generate Leafs traffic from a few hardcore Leafs fans.

There's nothing potential trade about this. Kapanen isn't being traded for a 4th line center. It's utter nonsense

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
No, it wouldn't.

Kapanen has all the tools to be a productive top 6 player and he's also very reliable defensively and even penalty kills for us as essentially a rookie.

Glendening is a good faceoff guy and another pk guy and that has value but we don't need it so badly that trading Kapanen's potential makes any sense
I think Leafs media and fans overrate Kapanen's offensive potential, but I very well may turn out to be wrong.
My main thought here is that if the Leafs really think their window is open and they can win a cup, Glendening would help them more in accomplishing that this season and next (and maybe even further?). Later on down the road, sure Kapanen may be the better player...but the question is: Are the Leafs looking to win now?

It's not an earth shattering trade either way, so perhaps I am just splitting hairs

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
The Green trade... if it happens... no brainer.

The Kapanen idea is scary bad. Just no. Please no.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Kapanen for Glendening would be, easily, the worst trade in the history of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the Leafs are an organization that's like "50 years of doing everything wrong except when they accidentally got Mats Sundin."

It would be bad, IMO it wouldn't be the worst, especially not easily the worst.

You're really giving guys like Ballard, JFJ and every GM the Leafs employed in the 80's way too much more credit than they deserve.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I read it to be a first OR a second and an NHL ready prospect. I do a first before I give up a guy that can step onto their roster next year AND a second.

You would do a 1st instead of Erne + 2nd? Erne is alright but be doesn't have a spot outside the 4th line next year. Rather keep the 1st so we can target a Wilde or Woo with that pick.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
DET would probably have to include their 1st round pick if they want to unload Glendenning with Kappy going the other way.

Reactions: naruto

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think Leafs media and fans overrate Kapanen's offensive potential, but I very well may turn out to be wrong.
My main thought here is that if the Leafs really think their window is open and they can win a cup, Glendening would help them more in accomplishing that this season and next (and maybe even further?). Later on down the road, sure Kapanen may be the better player...but the question is: Are the Leafs looking to win now?

It's not an earth shattering trade either way, so perhaps I am just splitting hairs

Kapanen fits out plans better than Glendening does. We don't have any need glaring enough for Glendening that trading a guy like Kapanen makes sense.

He's young. Cost controlled as an RFA. Speedy. Good defensively. And with increased opportunity looks like he could be clearly better offensively as soon as next year.

Glendening can help us. But at the cosy of Kapanen, he makes no sense

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I love all the "seems like a Babcock type of move" comments.

First, Babcock has been absolutely gushing over Kappy as of late (and for good reason). Second, Babcock isn't the GM. Third, I get a lot of Wings fans don't like Babcock, but to suggest he's so dumb that he would be on board to trade a player with top 6 potential for a 4th liner is absolutely laughable.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Kapanen for Glendening would be, easily, the worst trade in the history of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and the Leafs are an organization that's like "50 years of doing everything wrong except when they accidentally got Mats Sundin."
Get real. Kapanen has not proven much. I could see why the Leafs might be more interested in giving up a meaningless youngster instead of picks.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
You weren't around when the Leafs acquired Kurvers or Raycroft, were you?

member 147413

Why would he mention Kapanen? Other teams are interested in Glendening, why would his “connections” say, “Red Wings want Kapanen for Glendening” instead of an NHL ready prospect with Top 6 potential?

I was a bit over the top, that said, that suggestion makes no sense other than it being for hits or that’s what’s on the table from the Leafs.

Plenty of teams can tell a local writer “Toronto called about Larkin, I asked for Matthews in return, they said no” why would you write about that?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Get real. Kapanen has not proven much. I could see why the Leafs might be more interested in giving up a meaningless youngster instead of picks.
meaningless youngster? he's a better player and has much more value than your 4th liner

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Why would he mention Kapanen? Other teams are interested in Glendening, why would his “connections” say, “Red Wings want Kapanen for Glendening” instead of an NHL ready prospect with Top 6 potential?

I was a bit over the top, that said, that suggestion makes no sense other than it being for hits or that’s what’s on the table from the Leafs.

Plenty of teams can tell a local writer “Toronto called about Larkin, I asked for Matthews in return, they said no” why would you write about that?

Since its abundantly clear you never bothered to read the article before criticizing the journalist, i'll post the Glendening excerpt here:

'Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock coached Glendening for two seasons in Detroit and is desperately seeking a fourth-line center and "shut-down guy." The Red Wings have made it clear they're not giving him away; they want a decent pick or one of Toronto's many good prospects. Right wing Kasperi Kapanen, who's appeared in 16 games for the Leafs this season, is a possibility.'

Your analogy is also terrible

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille