News: Ansar Khan - Green Will Waive His NTC for Tampa Bay and Other Potential DET Moves

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So too would blocking shots, winning board battles and clearing the zone on the first try. Sadly none of these things are what Green is known for or exceptionally good at

Might as well target Kris Russell if you want blocked shots and board battles. Green can skate the puck out the zone with ease and would help with zone entries. You pair him with Coburn who can do the dirty work and it could work.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Holland is going to want a decent return (a high draft pick or young prospect) for Green. He can still bring something (i.e., offense) to a hockey club, and is a UFA after the season.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Might as well target Kris Russell if you want blocked shots and board battles. Green can skate the puck out the zone with ease and would help with zone entries. You pair him with Coburn who can do the dirty work and it could work.

Coburn is falling apart. Green already needs a baby sitter. I'm not comfortable with him getting top minutes because of this. The guy had over 5 years to prove that he was the man in Washington and couldn't do it

We don't want to give up Sergachev for a top 10 D but somehow a 1st for a guy who should not be playing more than 10 minutes is all good.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Connolly turned into a decent player, Namestnikov is a nice part of our success, Vasilevskiy is elite, Koekkoek has moments and looks like he could be a solid player for awhile, Drouin and DeAngelo were flipped for pieces that look promising, Howden and Foote are developing good. One elite, some good but no complete busts.

Erne doesn't have a top 6 future with us and even a 3rd line role next year looks out. We have other players in the system who could replace him. He'd be a good depth piece next year but getting a Woo, the right hand PMD we lack, is a better than having Erne around. We could always recoup a second or an Erne type prospect in a Koekkoek or Coburn trade at the draft.
Between this thread and the McD thread, we obviously have very different opinions on prospects and I don't really see us finding a middle ground. I would do a first over a 2nd and Erne 10/10 times.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Between this thread and the McD thread, we obviously have very different opinions on prospects and I don't really see us finding a middle ground. I would do a first over a 2nd and Erne 10/10 times.

Clearly if you have high hopes for Erne then we think differently on our prospects. Erne is at best a 15-15 guy, nothing we can't replace and isn't worth trading a 1st instead of.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Coburn is falling apart. Green already needs a baby sitter. I'm not comfortable with him getting top minutes because of this. The guy had over 5 years to prove that he was the man in Washington and couldn't do it

We don't want to give up Sergachev for a top 10 D but somehow a 1st for a guy who should not be playing more than 10 minutes is all good.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about if you think Green shouldn't get more than 10 minutes. He isn't a shutdown guy which we could kinda use since we give up a bunch of shots and the PK sucks but he can move the puck better than McDonagh for instance. Our 2nd PP could use the help for sure too.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Kap cannot crack the Leafs' top 6 and he probably won't crack DET's either. Do you actually think. He's a 50-60 point winger? No way. The leafs have a lot of wing depth. Let go of Kap and your emotion. If one of TOR's centers goes down then they are in trouble. Goat and Moore don't cut it.

The kid is basically a rookie. And our top 9 is pretty loaded right now. Whether that established veteran wingers, or guys like Hyman that Babcock likes to have on each line.

JVR will go this offseason and Kapanen will move up. He's part of our future.

You can have Kapanen for Green (50%) and Glendening (50%). Otherwise, 0% chance Kapanen is going to Detroit.

I'd still rather keep Kapanen. Again, no disrespect to either Detroit player. I see Kapanen as part of the plan here. And while I'd like to see us maybe grab Glendening (for a reasonable price), Green I don't have much interest in.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I agree Glendening would never ever get Kapanen back ... but holy hyperbole on his “perceived” value.

His hype on here far far far out produces his actual results on the ice.

Come on guys.

It doesn't even have anything to do with his value as a trade asset. The issue is that the Leafs have absolutely no incentive to move him. He's a good young player, with upside, that the coach likes and poised to get an increased role next season when our winger logjam clears up a bit.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It doesn't even have anything to do with his value as a trade asset. The issue is that the Leafs have absolutely no incentive to move him. He's a good young player, with upside, that the coach likes and poised to get an increased role next season when our winger logjam clears up a bit.

You just moved the goalposts. Have you read this thread and seen what Leaf fan would want for him?

I will stand by my comment. You can’t give me the “he worth more to us than to you” stuff with this guy. IMO it’s all because he was part of the Kessel deal that Leaf fan over values him. Trying to make that deal feel “better”. I fully understand that emotion/thought process as a Caps fan!

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I agree Glendening would never ever get Kapanen back ... but holy hyperbole on his “perceived” value.

His hype on here far far far out produces his actual results on the ice.

Come on guys.

The point is we have no incentive to trade him for someone who will play on our 4th line. A young cost controlled winger with top 6 potential is exactly what the Leafs need going forward. As early as next season he will likely get a legitimate chance at top 6 minutes

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Kapanen is at minimum going to be a 20-20 guy and be on the #1 PK & some PP. Not going anywhere for Glendening.

PlietscherDassel

Dec 3, 2009
Trading Kapanen would be a very bad idea. He is a very fast and skilled player that is already defensively responsible. Why would you trade that for a 4th line center?
Btw Babs seems to really like him as well.

We are at least one year away from being a contender anyways. No need to throw away valuable assets to improve now. I don't mind Lou making some minor improvements for a 2nd or less, but other than that the Leafs should be patient and develop their own young players. One of them being Kapanen.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
You just moved the goalposts. Have you read this thread and seen what Leaf fan would want for him?

I will stand by my comment. You can’t give me the “he worth more to us than to you” stuff with this guy. IMO it’s all because he was part of the Kessel deal that Leaf fan over values him. Trying to make that deal feel “better”. I fully understand that emotion/thought process as a Caps fan!

I didn't move anything. Leafs fans don't want anything for Kapanen. We simply aren't interested in moving him. It has nothing to do with him being worth more to us. It's purely we have no need for a 4c big enough to justify moving a promising young player like Kapanen. If we were talking in a package for something we really need like a top 4 RD then we could start a discussion but for a 4c it's simply a non starter. Thats not overvaluing. It's just valuing.

Last edited:

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
If Boston outbids us for McDonagh, I guess Green is a decent consolation prize, purely as a rental.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Have to imagine that Khan would know in no way is Glendening for Kapanen an actual trade that would take place, not going to happen nor should it. And to Leaf fans saying Leivo for Glendening, that isn't happening either. We are ridiculously low in center depth now and in the future, so how does trading a center for a winger make sense. The only thing the Wings have a lot of is bottom sixish wingers, we have little to nothing of every other position.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Lol. Kapanen isn't being traded for Glendening or really rental type player from the Red Wings.

If Glendening was waived today, would teams even pick him and his 3 year deal up?

Lou better tell Babcock to go back and coach and let him do his thing. A solid no to Glendening. Either trade for an impact player or don't make a trade at all. Our window is just opening, teams like Boston and Tampa are in more of a rush. We should not be.

Glendening is the kind of player the Leafs could use, if they are trying to be competitive. He is a very good 4th line player and good pk'er, and if the Leafs could acquire him for a 3rd or 4th rounder it makes perfect sense.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Glendening is the kind of player the Leafs could use, if they are trying to be competitive. He is a very good 4th line player and good pk'er, and if the Leafs could acquire him for a 3rd or 4th rounder it makes perfect sense.

Leafs don't need a PKer. They have a very good PK.

What they need is a defenseman better than Polak (so pretty much anyone in the league). Babcock is frustratingly annoying with his line ups. Polak continues to play and he thinks he's doing well when all the evidence proves that he's garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad