Post-Game Talk: Another craptacular display: Sens 5-2 win

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've seen nothing from him showing why he deserves the starts. If anything Marty lost it with today's performance, but in no way has Schneider been head and shoulders above Brodeur.

I'll be the first one to admit I was expecting Schneider to be 3-0 at least by now, especially after the preseason where he let in like only 1 or 2 goals the entire time.

What happened to that preseason team? Maybe some young legs would be the difference.
With all due respect, I believe you said something along the lines of Marty being better now than 5 or 10 years ago. If you really believe that, then I guess I understand why you think Schneider hasn't been head and shoulders better than Brodeur.

Mory Schneideur*

I absolutely HOPE that this is a joke.

if you cant tell how much better Schneider is than Marty than I tihnk you should give up watching this team, quite honestly.

I'm not gonna use a sample size of 3 games each. Its not like Schneider has had 3 stellar games and Marty has 3 stinkers, thats nonesense.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Would love to see how Anderson would have performed on our team tonight. We still lose. Did you see how Ottawa treated us in the 1st period? It was like a Varsity team taking it easy on JV. Goalie is a last line of defense, but he is useless if there is NO defense. The senators spent their entire powerplay in our zone so comfortable it was sickening to watch. Meanwhile our guys were so shaky you would think we were icing a team of Parkinson's players.
Are you serious with this. Sens rarely had any sustained zone pressure for the entire night, only on the powerplay because......its a POWERPLAY. :help:

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
With all due respect, I believe you said something along the lines of Marty being better now than 5 or 10 years ago. If you really believe that, then I guess I understand why you think Schneider hasn't been head and shoulder better than Brodeur.

Hes also the same guy who thought we were winning 60 games this year and thought Marty and Cory would win 30 each.

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
Schenider gave the team a chance to win against Vancouver and Winnipeg where they were outlpayed by a large margin...Brodeur was the exact opposite in some of these games where he gave the OTHER team a chance to win.

And in Vancouver they still blew a 2-0 lead.
Hay, give Cory starts, I'm down...but it's not going to save the world, and he hasn't proven himself yet, so I'm not going to get too overhyped like I felt before the season started

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I'll agree there. But once again I highly disagree goaltending is THE problem. Goaltending is the least of our worries. Brodeur had a bad game, Schneider will too, it happens. Overall the goalies have been alright for the way the team has played.

Why does there have to be a "THE" problem. There's more than one problem so far this season. They haven't been able to put together a complete game; that's what bad teams do. On nights when they get good goaltending, like they have with most of the games Schneider has played, they don't find a way to score. On nights when they do score, Marty has been in and has not given us good goaltending. And in some of those games, our defense was atrocious.

Much of this is on the coach at this point. Schneider had a tremendous game yet he still put Marty in even though he has clearly been the weaker goalie up until this point. It's part of the poor lineup decisions he has been making. The next game he might start Schneider but he'll keep Volch and Harrold out there who will be a black hole on offense and probably commit some turnover that will lead to a back breaking goal. Or he'll come up with some foolhardy lines that don't generate any offense. And on and on and on.

A coach needs to play his best players get the most out of them on a consistent basis. That is their most important job.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why does there have to be a "THE" problem. There's more than one problem so far this season. They haven't been able to put together a complete game; that's what bad teams do.

Correct...and tonight Brodeur was THE problem, which is why he's the flash point. Other games it's been the D, the offense, the head coach.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Hay, give Cory starts, I'm down...but it's not going to save the world, and he hasn't proven himself yet, so I'm not going to get too overhyped like I felt before the season started
If my memory serves me right Vancouver dictated the pace of that game and dominated many portions even though they had the lead. Devils were just along with the ride. Could be wrong though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought Marty was good in Calgary, he really deserved a better fate that game.

He stunk against the Islanders, was meh against the Oilers, and was atrocious tonight.

Cory was meh against the Penguins, good against the Canucks, and out of this world against Winnipeg.

Mory Schneideur*

With all due respect, I believe you said something along the lines of Marty being better now than 5 or 10 years ago. If you really believe that, then I guess I understand why you think Schneider hasn't been head and shoulder better than Brodeur.

Yes when I said better, I said technically he's better. Better at angles, things like that, his technical game. He's smarter for sure. He's lost a step and takes longer to get into his rhythm, but dear lord I remember Marty letting in crazy softies even 10 years ago. He's always let in softies, its nothing new.

Plus someone did bring up the point his father just died & maybe he's just not having fun because we are in this funk. Its been 7 games, I'm not happy but I've seen some positives. Some puck luck and a few less defensive breakdowns and we are easily 3-2-2.

A big question should be what the hell is going on with our 3rd period scoring. Where does our defense go after the lead? How do we allow a team to stay in our zone the entire time during a PK? What the hell is up with the positioning of our D men, did they forget to play hockey? These are questions we should be asking, not looking at Marty's age.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Would love to see how Anderson would have performed on our team tonight. We still lose. Did you see how Ottawa treated us in the 1st period? It was like a Varsity team taking it easy on JV. Goalie is a last line of defense, but he is useless if there is NO defense. The senators spent their entire powerplay in our zone so comfortable it was sickening to watch. Meanwhile our guys were so shaky you would think we were icing a team of Parkinson's players.

Dude you are in DENIAL. The Senators did absolutely nothing special today and our team didn't do anything atrocious defensively to warrant Marty giving up 4 goals.

Anderson made more and better saves throughout the entire game. How can you not see that??

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
If my memory serves me right Vancouver dictated the pace of that game and dominated many portions even though they had the lead. Devils were just along with the ride. Could be wrong though.

Yup.

In all three games cory played, they scored 2 goals. They have given that guy absolutely nothing to work with.

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
I thought Marty was good in Calgary, he really deserved a better fate that game.

He stunk against the Islanders, was meh against the Oilers, and was atrocious tonight.

Cory was meh against the Penguins, good against the Canucks, and out of this world against Winnipeg.

I'd give him the frowny face sticker for tonight, but in the Isles and Oilers games it goes to the D

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

Schneider had nothing to do with them blowing the Van game. He kept that game close after the first period because they basically stopped playing in front of him. Hell, the 2nd goal was on basically a powerplay because Clowe couldn't move after he got hurt. He singlehandedly kept them in the Winnipeg game. I cannot understand how you could think he hasn't proven himself yet.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd give him the frowny face sticker for tonight, but in the Isles and Oilers games it goes to the D

He wasn't awful against the Oilers. Let in one bad goal from what I remember, but yes that's on the D cause that was a horrendous team meltdown in the 3rd.

He stunk against the Islanders. Gave up 2 softies that game. The fact that he stopped 2 breakaways and held us into the 6th round in the shootout really masked how bad that game was for him.

Mory Schneideur*

Marty was good against the Oilers until we decided to have a Canes 09 flashback and lost the game in the final minutes. I don't know what happened to the team that came out after the 2nd intermission.

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
Schneider had nothing to do with them blowing the Van game. He kept that game close after the first period because they basically stopped playing in front of him. Hell, the 2nd goal was on basically a powerplay because Clowe couldn't move after he got hurt. He singlehandedly kept them in the Winnipeg game. I cannot understand how you could think he hasn't proven himself yet.

You're saying he proved himself as an elite goalie over those 3 games? Because with the way the D and O are as is, you're going to require one

Mory Schneideur*

Dude you are in DENIAL. The Senators did absolutely nothing special today and our team didn't do anything atrocious defensively to warrant Marty giving up 4 goals.

Anderson made more and better saves throughout the entire game. How can you not see that??

Yeah, our guys seemed very, very confident in that first period where we went down 0-2. :sarcasm:

Watch the replay, we play like a JV team, Ottawa was toying with us until the boys decided to grow a pair and fight back on the PP.

No confidence on D. You could see it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yes when I said better, I said technically he's better. Better at angles, things like that, his technical game. He's smarter for sure. He's lost a step and takes longer to get into his rhythm, but dear lord I remember Marty letting in crazy softies even 10 years ago. He's always let in softies, its nothing new.

Plus someone did bring up the point his father just died & maybe he's just not having fun because we are in this funk. Its been 7 games, I'm not happy but I've seen some positives. Some puck luck and a few less defensive breakdowns and we are easily 3-2-2.

A big question should be what the hell is going on with our 3rd period scoring. Where does our defense go after the lead? How do we allow a team to stay in our zone the entire time during a PK? What the hell is up with the positioning of our D men, did they forget to play hockey? These are questions we should be asking, not looking at Marty's age.

You're absolutely correct. Marty let in softies 10 years ago. Hell, I remember one game where he let two in against the Flyers in the 95 ECF, but he pretty much stole that series other than that. He also was letting in a bad goal or two for much of the Avalanche SCF series in 01, as well as the first 4 games of the 00 ECF before we came back.

I really can't recall him giving up 3 soft goals in one game. It's probably happened before, but it's escapes my memory. This was one of the worst games I remember him playing in forever. And he's had struggles, especially in October. I remember a lot of softies for the first month of 07-08 and then he went on to win the Vezina that year and was the only reason we made the playoffs. He was also bad for the first half of 05-06 but that was after not playing for a year.

I think he's getting to the end of his rope now. It's sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad