Post-Game Talk: Another craptacular display: Sens 5-2 win

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
To be honest, I think both goalies could have done a bit better maybe, but they are not THE reason we are 0-7. The team playing bad (mostly defensively) has lead to the goalies not performing up to par.

Schneider has done pretty good outside of the pens game.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You guys make no damn sense. One game everyone wants to blow up the team because we can't score. Next game lets blow it up because our D is terribad. Next game its fire the coach. Now its tie Brodeur to a tree and shoot him.

So which is it? What get the blame next game, the goal song?

:rolleyes: :loony:

Just pick one thing and stick to it. :shakehead:

I'm going with horrible D and bad coaching. Forwards and goaltending have been fine, there's only so much you can do with bad coaching decisions and a defensive system that rivals your local JV team.
Goaltending has been fine? You also think Brodeur now is better than Brodeur of 10 years ago too. Do you even remember Brodeur of 10 years ago? The Brodeur of 2 years ago was way better than this craptastic version.
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 29s
Brodeur said he didn't see either of the first two shots, but, "I’ve got to find a way to stop them."

Cut the crap, you blow. Just retire please
I love Marty, and I'll never say anything too bad about him. I'll never give him a goofy nickname either like I do for other players I crap on. I'll be damned though if I defend him after his performance so far this year.

I've defended Marty for years, and when people called for him to be benched over frickin Hedberg. Now I think it's justified to call for him to be benched. It's like the difference between Jonathan Quick and Nabokov at this point.

Mory Schneideur*

That's the problem...there IS more than one problem with this team. Bad teams find ways to lose games.

I'll agree there. But once again I highly disagree goaltending is THE problem. Goaltending is the least of our worries. Brodeur had a bad game, Schneider will too, it happens. Overall the goalies have been alright for the way the team has played.

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
even if it's the first game where it was a major factor, the team hasn't won so it's magnified. they need to give cory the nod. start him 2 in a row and see what happens.

I'm good with that, hell I prefer it.
But if you're pinning this horrid start on 2 bad goals you're just ignoring the bigger problem. He'll, out of the 2 goals they have scored on the last 7 periods one came on a 5 on 3 after going 0/7 on the powerplay

sbresistor

Jul 25, 2007
Both Schneider and Brodeur are WINLESS - ****, we can lose every game no matter who is in net...being just good enough to lose leads to last place

the team just sucks this season

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
For the locker room...

Attachments

• Demotivator.jpg
    Demotivator.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 28

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
I'm good with that, hell I prefer it.
But if you're pinning this horrid start on 2 bad goals you're just ignoring the bigger problem. He'll, out of the 2 goals they have scored on the last 7 periods one came on a 5 on 3 after going 0/7 on the powerplay

i'm not....i think the team stinks.

but at this point, you put your best players out there.

Devilsfanatic0421

"You're next"
Feb 24, 2012
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 1m
Elias: "What can you say? We were awful because we’re losing? We’re not that bad. We’re not playing bad hockey."

Well, they haven't acknowledged it yet.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's not the same at this point. Marty is on the decline now. Might be his last season. Now isn't the time to call him out. You just sit him and play the better goalie.

And I'd be fine at this point with that. He deserves a Kevin Weekes or Clemmensen 05-07 role at this point.

Part of the problem I'm afraid is he's all messed up from the smaller workload. I'm afraid we'll have to see him play more games to get out of it. Like more games than Cory for him to get out of this funk.

It's a shame cause the 93-94 Marty was very good when splitting time as a 1A/1B. I hope the 13-14 Marty can adjust. If not then we have to play him extremely sparingly.

Mory Schneideur*

Schneider has done pretty good outside of the pens game.

I've seen nothing from him showing why he deserves the starts. If anything Marty lost it with today's performance, but in no way has Schneider been head and shoulders above Brodeur.

I'll be the first one to admit I was expecting Schneider to be 3-0 at least by now, especially after the preseason where he let in like only 1 or 2 goals the entire time.

What happened to that preseason team? Maybe some young legs would be the difference.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
People are in such denial about Marty's goaltending, and the constant excuses are as sad as Brodeur's decline. I think a lot of people really don't understand or just refuse to accept that goaltending is meant to bail teams out of ****** games and breakdowns. You look at Anderson today...his team did not play well defensively. Thus far this season they are giving up 35+ shots per game. Many of the chances we had today were quality scoring chances. And yet he made save after save to keep his team ahead and has kept his team's position in the standings respectable. When was the last time the Devils got that? The answer is 2012 playoffs, that's when. The whole point of quality goaltending is to mask a team's deficiencies, be they scoring or defense or both. Marty is incapable of giving us that kind of performance, and on some nights his play is not even solid enough if the team plays well. Which is exactly what happened tonight. Also, another thing people don't seem to understand is that every facet of the game affects the other. When a goalie gives up two early soft goals, the team feels deflated and then on top of that they have to play catch up. They don't feel confident at all because they have no idea when the next goal against will come and they know they can play the tightest defense in the world and their goalie might still let a bunch in even if they get back in the game (again that's exactly what happened tonight). The goalie is the most important position on the team and as such, on most nights he needs to be the best player on the ice. When was the last time that Marty was our best player on the ice?

This team is good enough to contend for a playoff position. At the end of the day, for me, it's become apparent that the coaching is our biggest hurdle right now. Marty is not capable of being the goalie this team needs, but there is one on the bench that is. And that's on Pete if he continues to play the worse one, as he has stubbornly done for the last 40+ games with our young skaters.

From a coaching perspective, we are looking at the exact opposite of what good coaches like Lemaire, Hitchcock, Paul Maclean, Babcock, etc. do. They squeeze the very best out of the players on their rosters, which also includes recognizing great talent and teaching them along the way. Our current coach is the exact opposite. We have players consistently underperforming now for 40+ games, poor lineup decisions, and poor management of young talent. He needs to go. If we still suck after that, at least we can suck with the young guns we have and we can truly see what deficiencies need to be upgraded.

Devilsfanatic0421

"You're next"
Feb 24, 2012
I've seen nothing from him showing why he deserves the starts. If anything Marty lost it with today's performance, but in no way has Schneider been head and shoulders above Brodeur.

I'll be the first one to admit I was expecting Schneider to be 3-0 at least by now, especially after the preseason where he let in like only 1 or 2 goals the entire time.

What happened to that preseason team? Maybe some young legs would be the difference.

:help:

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens

Are you kidding me? Schneider stood on his head in the Vancouver and Winnipeg games.

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
To be honest, I think both goalies could have done a bit better maybe, but they are not THE reason we are 0-7. The team playing bad (mostly defensively) has lead to the goalies not performing up to par.

This.

And that is why the sudden "tie Marty to a tree" is so annoying. How about tie everyone to a tree because frankly Marty (and Cory) have both been some of the less sucky players so far

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I honestly can't understand how anyone can defend Marty after that performance tonight. I love and respect the guy to death but come on, put the kool aid down. He WAS the problem tonight and needs to be the backup for the rest of the year. I don't see how that's up for debate right now. Schneider has to be the starter for the bulk of the season. Now, I do agree that the goaltending isn't the biggest issue and Schneider is still going to lose games but there not going be losses like tonight where he is directly responsible.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Marty looked similar to this when going almost a week without playing before the Florida series start in 2012. And after Clemmensen playing the last game of 06-07 and Marty resting a week before the TBL series.

Although I think Marty tonight looked much worse than either of those instances. I'm worried that because he's not getting a decent amount of games, he'll put in a performance like this if he keeps going 5 days or more without work. If he can't adjust and give us a decent performance every 4-5 days or more, then he might have to go to a pure backup role the way Hedberg had been used when Marty was healthy the last few years.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

Schenider gave the team a chance to win against Vancouver and Winnipeg where they were outlpayed by a large margin...Brodeur was the exact opposite in some of these games where he gave the OTHER team a chance to win.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Marty looked similar to this when going almost a week without playing before the Florida series start in 2012. And after Clemmensen playing the last game of 06-07 and Marty resting a week before the TBL series.

Although I think Marty tonight looked much worse than either of those instances. I'm worried that because he's not getting a decent amount of games, he'll put in a performance like this if he keeps going 5 days or more without work. If he can't adjust and give us a decent performance every 5 days or more, then he might have to go to a pure backup role the way Hedberg had been used when Marty was healthy the last few years.
That's the problem with him as backup. He needs his starts, but like I said I want the best guys out there. I don't care anymore. It's incredibly frustrating to watch Pete **** with the personnel. Schneider is the only elite talent.

Mory Schneideur*

People are in such denial about Marty's goaltending, and the constant excuses are as sad as Brodeur's decline. I think a lot of people really don't understand or just refuse to accept that goaltending is meant to bail teams out of ****** games and breakdowns. You look at Anderson today...his team did not play well defensively. Thus far this season they are giving up 35+ shots per game. Many of the chances we had today were quality scoring chances. And yet he made save after save to keep his team ahead and has kept his team's position in the standings respectable. When was the last time the Devils got that? The answer is 2012 playoffs, that's when. The whole point of quality goaltending is to mask a team's deficiencies, be they scoring or defense or both. Marty is incapable of giving us that kind of performance, and on some nights his play is not even solid enough if the team plays well. Which is exactly what happened tonight. Also, another thing people don't seem to understand is that every facet of the game affects the other. When a goalie gives up two early soft goals, the team feels deflated and then on top of that they have to play catch up. They don't feel confident at all because they have no idea when the next goal against will come and they know they can play the tightest defense in the world and their goalie might still let a bunch in even if they get back in the game (again that's exactly what happened tonight). The goalie is the most important position on the team and as such, on most nights he needs to be the best player on the ice. When was the last time that Marty was our best player on the ice?

This team is good enough to contend for a playoff position. At the end of the day, for me, it's become apparent that the coaching is our biggest hurdle right now. Marty is not capable of being the goalie this team needs, but there is one on the bench that is. And that's on Pete if he continues to play the worse one, as he has stubbornly done for the last 40+ games with our young skaters.

From a coaching perspective, we are looking at the exact opposite of what good coaches like Lemaire, Hitchcock, Paul Maclean, Babcock, etc. do. They squeeze the very best out of the players on their rosters, which also includes recognizing great talent and teaching them along the way. Our current coach is the exact opposite. We have players consistently underperforming now for 40+ games, poor lineup decisions, and poor management of young talent. He needs to go. If we still suck after that, at least we can suck with the young guns we have and we can truly see what deficiencies need to be upgraded.

Would love to see how Anderson would have performed on our team tonight. We still lose. Did you see how Ottawa treated us in the 1st period? It was like a Varsity team taking it easy on JV. Goalie is a last line of defense, but he is useless if there is NO defense. The senators spent their entire powerplay in our zone so comfortable it was sickening to watch. Meanwhile our guys were so shaky you would think we were icing a team of Parkinson's players.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 1m
Elias: "What can you say? We were awful because we’re losing? We’re not that bad. We’re not playing bad hockey."

Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

Patty's still in denial.

I've reached the Bargaining phase.

If the Devils beat the Rangers, I wouldnt be so mad if they lose the game after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad