Post-Game Talk: Another craptacular display: Sens 5-2 win

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
I'll tell you this though, Schneider is not going to get "crowned" until either he completely steals some wins or Marty get ridiculously blown out (like 6 goals against or more).
In the mean time I just don't think it's a prime concern. Unless the other parts get fixed they are going to be sacking regardless of who is in net

DevHock

Apr 14, 2012
You're talking to a goalie :laugh:

I'm telling you from experience, I can play like a young Roy or Hasek when the team is full of good players and in sync... and I play like total crap when I have to bail out every shot or the team in front does weird things the entire game.

You don't exactly play with the confidence of Roy when every time the other team has possession you're thinking "oh man, here they come again, some one cover this guy, whats he doing, o crap, ok I got this, no damn why did he just let that, o crap, o crap o crap".

The team is just sloppy and playing scared in their own zone, thats not good for goalies. I'm not saying goalies get a pass, but I'm saying they are not the main problem, or even a problem at all, if anything goaltending should be our strength.

i've played and coached the position

you have no clue what you're talking about

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
yes marty blew tonight but he is not the reason we are winless let alone every game he started.

this team looked like hot crap 90% of the games so far. They started out scoring and no D then adjusted to play some D albeit bad and then stopped scoring.

Now they get decent D after the first 10 min and some scoring and get bad goaltending.

There is no balance, there is no consistency.

BLAH

This is it in a nutshell, pretty much how I would describe the season so far. I'd go with a ****!! instead of a BLAH though.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'll tell you this though, Schneider is not going to get "crowned" until either he completely steals some wins or Marty get ridiculously blown out (like 6 goals against or more).
In the mean time I just don't think it's a prime concern. Unless the other parts get fixed they are going to be sacking regardless of who is in net

This is the problem, as long as things are "close" we're not going to see any changes.

I kinda want us to get schlacked a few times as a wake-up call.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Last year Marty ranked 42 out of 50 goalies in save %. He was second to last among goalies with at least 25 games played. Only Bryzgalov was worse.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
You're talking to a goalie :laugh:

I'm telling you from experience, I can play like a young Roy or Hasek when the team is full of good players and in sync... and I play like total crap when I have to bail out every shot or the team in front does weird things the entire game.

You don't exactly play with the confidence of Roy when every time the other team has possession you're thinking "oh man, here they come again, some one cover this guy, whats he doing, o crap, ok I got this, no damn why did he just let that, o crap, o crap o crap".

The team is just sloppy and playing scared in their own zone, thats not good for goalies. I'm not saying goalies get a pass, but I'm saying they are not the main problem, or even a problem at all, if anything goaltending should be our strength.

ive played plenty net too in my life. when i get **** D theres no hope to stop the puck and its all downhill from there. every part of the game suffers.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Marty just awful. Fire Lou

Fire Lou because Marty was awful? I'll tell you what, everyone should be fired if a curveball is thrown and we see Marty in against the Rangers. I don't wanna see another Lundqvist vs Brodeur regular season game again.

I can see Marty getting it cause he likes playing the Rangers.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Another fun fact: The Devils have given up at least 3 goals in every single game so far this season.

I can live with a mediocre offense but this is just a disgrace to NJD brand.

Mory Schneideur*

i've played and coached the position

you have no clue what you're talking about

You guys are all a bunch of arm-chair GMs, panicking over everything without solid reasons. Trying to have a normal conversation where the sky isn't falling is impossible. :shakehead

Since you're such an expert and you have coached and played, give us your analysis then. Le me guess, "Brodeur is old, he gives up softies".

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Another fun fact: The Devils have given up at least 3 goals in every single game so far this season.

Yup, It's like we're obligated to give up 3 goals. We're losing 1-0 with a minute left Sunday night, okay an empty net goal, so there's 2-0. Then just totally stop playing for the last minute and give up a third goal.:laugh:

It's like we have to meet a quota of 3 goals against.

Mory Schneideur*

You mean even the ones with the mighty invincible Schnieder? No way! Goaltending is obviously our team's problem! :sarcasm:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You guys are all a bunch of arm-chair GMs, panicking over everything without solid reasons. Trying to have a normal conversation where the sky isn't falling is impossible. :shakehead

Since you're such an expert and you have coached and played, give us your analysis then. Le me guess, "Brodeur is old, he gives up softies".

But Brodeur is old, and yes he does give up softies. No shame in it. If you asked me 10 years ago if Brodeur would still be playing in the year 2013 I would have said very likely not. With how many games Marty's played including playoffs, we're lucky he didn't break down completely sometime around 2007.

Mory Schneideur*

ive played plenty net too in my life. when i get **** D theres no hope to stop the puck and its all downhill from there. every part of the game suffers.

I've played NHL94 before, you have no idea what you're talking about. :sarcasm:

Seriously, here's someone who gets it.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You mean even the ones with the mighty invincible Schnieder? No way! Goaltending is obviously our team's problem! :sarcasm:

For what it's worth, Schneider has played the only game for us so far in which a goaltender has given up less than 3 goals.

yehyeh

Devils. Devils? Yeah, Devils.
Dec 17, 2011
NNJ
I think a huge issue a lot of people are avoiding is our approach to entering the offensive zone. We have to accept the fact that we don't have the speed/age/strength/whatever to forecheck after constantly dumping the puck in.

I cannot believe how many times this season we dumped the puck in and lost possession immediately. Also, turnovers. If we fix these issues we won't give our D (including our goaltender) so many chances to **** up.

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
Last year Marty ranked 42 out of 50 goalies in save %. He was second to last among goalies with at least 25 games played. Only Bryzgalov was worse.

But it ignores something about stats.
Devils have horrid D, but they keep shots low while at the same time allowing too many Quality chances.

Right now Nabokov, Mason, and Fleury all have much better Sv% than Schneider, Lundqvist, and Halak.

My point being the defense, not the goal tending, is the main problem

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

Ummm...he gave up 2 against Winnipeg, the 3rd was an empty net. He gave up 2 in regulation against Vancouver, the third was in overtime. Both games were an absolute trainwreck defensively and Marty probably would have given up at least twice as many goals.

Mory Schneideur*

But Brodeur is old, and yes he does give up softies. No shame in it. If you asked me 10 years ago if Brodeur would still be playing in the year 2013 I would have said very likely not. With how many games Marty's played including playoffs, we're lucky he didn't break down completely sometime around 2007.

I agree, I thought he was done around 2008/2009 or so. I don't think he should retire yet because of 4 questionably bad games. I'm mad too, but I know goaltending isn't our biggest issue.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Schneider is better than Brodeur.

It's not even an opinion anymore, it's a proven fact. It's like the difference between Marty and Weekes when he was here. Even Marty and the 05-07 Clemmensen.

I was one of the few people that thought Marty would have a decent season. I defended Marty when bozo's called for him to sit in favor of Johan frickin Hedberg. At this point though, it's justified.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I think a huge issue a lot of people are avoiding is our approach to entering the offensive zone. We have to accept the fact that we don't have the speed/age/strength/whatever to forecheck after constantly dumping the puck in.

I cannot believe how many times this season we dumped the puck in and lost possession immediately. Also, turnovers. If we fix these issues we won't give our D (including our goaltender) so many chances to **** up.

Theres no choice but to dump it in. Outside of Lokti and Brunner, everyone is too slow to gain the zone. The D do not have to respect our forwards' speed so they can keep a close gap and step up at the blueline. It's sad and here is where we miss Kovy a ton. Yes he made many stupid passes at the blueline but he made defenders **** their pants when he came at them with speed.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I agree, I thought he was done around 2008/2009 or so. I don't think he should retire yet because of 4 questionably bad games. I'm mad too, but I know goaltending isn't our biggest issue.

Well I never said he should retire. He definitely should not be the starter anymore, and a couple more bad games like tonight then I think he should be given a Kevin Weekes workload for the remainder of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad