Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
My boy loved Shawsie, he was great with the kids.

image1_1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Cool pic.

...Shaw still sucks though.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Thought he really started playing well when Julien was brought on. Concussion and line juggling at the end of year worked against him. I like having him on the team but that cap hit is too much for what he brings.

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
Thought he really started playing well when Julien was brought on. Concussion and line juggling at the end of year worked against him. I like having him on the team but that cap hit is too much for what he brings.

If he can pot 15 goals and 40pts, kill penalties and play well in the playoffs it's fine.... we will see if he can do that...

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
He put up a 14 goal and 35 point pace over 82 games last year playing with different line mates every 5 games, don't see why he can't put up 15 goals and 40 points lol.

How dare you SIR!!! He can't cause it goes against the HF narrative or doom and gloom.....
Don't even try to get fact into the way...

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
But seriously, the contract is borderline at best.... Shaw better step it up.

He is a guys who is produced a little bit under .5 in reg season and around .5ppg in the playoff (first time he doesn't produces... it with us... it sad...

Step up maybe but not that much 517th in the NHL

https://www.capfriendly.com/cost_per_point/2017/season/all/all/all/costperpoints/asc/normalized

Not a great contract. but first year on 6... it will get better next year and okay the year after... he is sign for 6y. It's UFA year. He willl be more point/cost efficient then Radu next year.

He can play all position efficiently on 2-3-4 lines, on PK and PP. I'm okay will him if he is close to .5ppg at 3.9AVV next year

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
year one : he did not.

I'm not sure why anyone would expect that of him. Shaw's usage profile for most of his career has been that of an offensive winger not a shutdown center, particularly as he gets used as a medicore PP scorer and not at all as a penalty killer. He's essentially playing for the same lineup spots and role as Gallagher and Lehkonen.

That said, he isn't a bad player and didn't play badly last season. He probably shouldn't have been given the role he was on the man advantage, but he was perfectly usable at 5 on 5 hockey. I'd more question of whether he is more luxury than need in the current lineup with his cap hit than say he's a bad player per se.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
But seriously, the contract is borderline at best.... Shaw better step it up.

It doesn't matter, nobody cares about cap space here, if anything, it's ridiculed. Shaw is a good player. I see him potting 15 goals but I don't know about 40pts......anything over 32pts will be gravy.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Said it yesterday but I have a feeling concussions are going to cause him to miss a lot of time this season if he just got cleared last week and was feeling effects into mid-July. Concussions are scary, man.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

This is probably the reason why he wasn't as effective in the playoffs.

Geez that's no joke. Concussions are not to be messed with.

I'm sure the guy wants to get back playing but man he'd better be careful here. Lots of guys have had their lives irreparably damaged from this kind of thing. It ain't worth it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Geez that's no joke. Concussions are not to be messed with.

I'm sure the guy wants to get back playing but man he'd better be careful here. Lots of guys have had their lives irreparably damaged from this kind of thing. It ain't worth it.

The guy is trying to play a game that's not suited to his weight class. Like the character and grit he displays but ultimately, he doesn't match up against a large contingent if not a majority players that play a similar style.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I don't want Shaw in our top 9. But I do admit he's an elite fourth liner.

I think he and Hudon on the wings on the fourth line could really oush the pace and keep the other teams on their heals.

For now I think Hudon and Hemsky are getting a shot in the top 9 ahead of Byron and Shaw. But it's not necessarily because Julien has Hudon and Hemsky ahead of Byron and Shaw. It's simply to see what they can do in offensive situations.

I hope they both flourish. I like Byron in the top 9, but if Hudon can somehow beat him out, all the better.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I don't want Shaw in our top 9. But I do admit he's an elite fourth liner.

I think he and Hudon on the wings on the fourth line could really oush the pace and keep the other teams on their heals.

For now I think Hudon and Hemsky are getting a shot in the top 9 ahead of Byron and Shaw. But it's not necessarily because Julien has Hudon and Hemsky ahead of Byron and Shaw. It's simply to see what they can do in offensive situations.

I hope they both flourish. I like Byron in the top 9, but if Hudon can somehow beat him out, all the better.

A 4th line of Byron - McCarron - Shaw, for example, could easily be a 3rd line on many teams. If we have enough depth up front in the top - 9 (Hudon and Hemsky working out there), having such a 4th line would be a good thing, IMO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The guy is trying to play a game that's not suited to his weight class. Like the character and grit he displays but ultimately, he doesn't match up against a large contingent if not a majority players that play a similar style.

It's a good point. His tires might of been pumped up too much by Toews in previous years? Worked for the Blackhawks but remains to be seen it will work for the Habs.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He put up a 14 goal and 35 point pace over 82 games last year playing with different line mates every 5 games, don't see why he can't put up 15 goals and 40 points lol.

Who will he be playing this year and why is it important to know the number of linemates? If he plays with Mitchell and Byron, so only 2 linemates for all season long...you think he'll end up with 40 points?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Who will he be playing this year and why is it important to know the number of linemates? If he plays with Mitchell and Byron, so only 2 linemates for all season long...you think he'll end up with 40 points?

Won't need to.

That's going to be a fun line to watch. Speed, tenacity...should be good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad