Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Man he is not 5'10, he is probably 5'7 max.
Sorry had a whole thing about the spits former doctor. Don't want a libel/slander suit here.
Anyway a lot of players overstate their stats. Many try different methods to get to that overstated size.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
You have Bickell at 193cm, Trevor van Riemsdyk at 188 cm and Weber at 193cm close to Shaw at 180cm. Not surprising he looks small in that pic...

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Expecting a big year from him, now that hes finally had chance to settle down with a year in montreal under his belt

he should be much better , and even then, wasnt the worst player ive ever seen out there either, the hate on him has been greatly exaggerated i feel bad for him almost

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Let's start with him being 4 millions for 6 years useful in the regular season.

He turned it around about halfway through the season. I thought he started looking really good and effective at one point but then they stuck him at centre where he does not fit at all.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Interested to see how Julien uses him and I believe he will be on the 4th line this year with some 3rd line minutes depending on match-up. We need Shaw to stay out of the box. Rest of his game is solid when he's at his best.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He turned it around about halfway through the season. I thought he started looking really good and effective at one point but then they stuck him at centre where he does not fit at all.

I agree he had a good sequence in the middle of the season but one good sequence is not worthy of 4 millions.

4 millions salary is pretty much 2nd line salary. At this salary unless you are a selke contending player you need to be a 20/40 winger. It's not like Shaw did not have his chances last year. In the first 3 months of the season he was 6th among forwards for the TOI/G without playing on the PK. He was 3rd for the TOI/G on the PP. He simply got beat by Byron and even Lehkonen toward the end of the year of the season.

All his bad penalties did not help him last year. He need to cut these by at least half.

He his not a bad guy. But if we need to save money to extend top 6 guys in the following years Shaw gonna be an easy target.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Interested to see how Julien uses him and I believe he will be on the 4th line this year with some 3rd line minutes depending on match-up. We need Shaw to stay out of the box. Rest of his game is solid when he's at his best.

I really don't want him in the top 9. I can't stand the way he plays. But sadly I think Julien will use him on the 3rd line.

He picked up 39 and 34 points playing with Kane and Toews. That's not an achievement. He can't stick handle. He can shovel in rebounds and have the puck bounce off him when he's around the net. But when you're not playing with Kane and Toews, those kinds of "scoring chances" don't come up nearly as often.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I agree he had a good sequence in the middle of the season but one good sequence is not worthy of 4 millions.

4 millions salary is pretty much 2nd line salary. At this salary unless you are a selke contending player you need to be a 20/40 winger. It's not like Shaw did not have his chances last year. In the first 3 months of the season he was 6th among forwards for the TOI/G without playing on the PK. He was 3rd for the TOI/G on the PP. He simply got beat by Byron and even Lehkonen toward the end of the year of the season.

All his bad penalties did not help him last year. He need to cut these by at least half.

He his not a bad guy. But if we need to save money to extend top 6 guys in the following years Shaw gonna be an easy target.

Yes I'd also rather the money be spent elsewhere. The contract was too long. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and hopefully he can turn things around or he may be an inevitable compliance buyout with the next CBA.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Awful lot of money for a terrible player who shouldn't even be in our top 9.

I've been really getting the vibe that Bergevin plans to trade Gallagher to make room for Shaw in the top nine. Because right now I doubt Hemsky plays fourth line and Shaw on the fourth looks like a failure.

I think bringing back Radulov was so Gallagher looked expendable as a third line RW. Now he's a Top six RW. Just feels like the team Bergevin will want is

Pacioretty - Danault - Drouin
Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Shaw
Byron - Plekanec - Hemsky

I don't know what comes back for Gally, maybe a LD, maybe a centre, but if I was to wager the next big Bergevin move, I would go with trading Gallagher to make room for Shaw.

Sir Jacques Demers

May 5, 2006
Do any other teams on HFboards have threads about the significance of a 3rd line player and his long-term impact on the team?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I've been really getting the vibe that Bergevin plans to trade Gallagher to make room for Shaw in the top nine. Because right now I doubt Hemsky plays fourth line and Shaw on the fourth looks like a failure.

I think bringing back Radulov was so Gallagher looked expendable as a third line RW. Now he's a Top six RW. Just feels like the team Bergevin will want is

Pacioretty - Danault - Drouin
Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Shaw
Byron - Plekanec - Hemsky

I don't know what comes back for Gally, maybe a LD, maybe a centre, but if I was to wager the next big Bergevin move, I would go with trading Gallagher to make room for Shaw.

I don't know if it's so much making room for Shaw as it is that Gallagher likely has an added value in a trade because of his reputation across the league, but you may be right that he is the piece that will be moved for an upgrade somewhere in the lineup.

If Bergevin could move Shaw for an upgrade at C, for example, it wouldn't be an admission of having ade a mistake in acquiring Shaw, IMO. Trading for an asset (2 second rounders as the cost) and flipping that asset for an asset at another position that we need to shore up is just asset management, IMO.

I just think that Bergevin would get more for Gallagher then Shaw, or more readily get something in return for Gallagher than Shaw, but that playing Shaw in Gallagher's stead wouldn't necessarily be a severe downgrade for the team.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
If there is something good on the table for Galley you should take it.

Is he ever going to recover and go back to his old self? Thats the risk with Galley. If you move him now either you are a genius who traded a player who is finished at 24 or an idiot for moving a 25G scorer on an amazing contract.

Its a tough one because Galley at 100% is a key player, but if its Galley from last year he is nothing but a 4th liner.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
If there is something good on the table for Galley you should take it.

Is he ever going to recover and go back to his old self? Thats the risk with Galley. If you move him now either you are a genius who traded a player who is finished at 24 or an idiot for moving a 25G scorer on an amazing contract.

Its a tough one because Galley at 100% is a key player, but if its Galley from last year he is nothing but a 4th liner.

He finished the season with 10 points in the last 14 GP and was one of our best forwards in the PO.

He's not done at all, trading him would be a mistake IMO.

Jul 6, 2016
He finished the season with 10 points in the last 14 GP and was one of our best forwards in the PO.

... One concussion away from retirement, too.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Holy Toledo I agree man I agree...
We can't afford to trade players who can "take the dragon by the tail"
observers who pay close attention would have notice Gallagher was our most consistent forwards up and until he got speared in the ribs.
Radu may have had more points but Gallagher was obviously a going concern for the Rangers. Something Shaw wasn't BTW WTK has that right.

Tankster*

Jun 18, 2016
St Jean (US export)
My boy loved Shawsie, he was great with the kids.

image1_1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad