Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wish Habs would leave Shaw unprotected for the expansion draft. Not only is he overpaid, he's a concussion threat which will impede his play further. That contract is a risk to stop Habs from signing actual talent like Radulov.

4 million a year for 5 years after not seeing him play a game in our organization and trading two 2nds.

What a horrendous move. Both the trade and the extension.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
4 million a year for 5 years after not seeing him play a game in our organization and trading two 2nds.

What a horrendous move. Both the trade and the extension.

Make that a 6 year deal, actually.

Tavares is on a 5 year deal with a cap hit of 5.5M to put into perspective how bad the Shaw deal really is.

I'd prefer Weise.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
he means for 5 more years

this was year 1 of 6.

Got it.

Either way, MB overpaid in the trade to get him, then made a ridiculous overpayment in term for a dime-a-dozen grinder. He should have been offered a Prust type deal, 4 years 2.5M per, not more than that.

Wasn't he RFA? Why the UFA type contract offer? Just a bad move all around.

Jul 6, 2016
Got it.

Either way, MB overpaid in the trade to get him, then made a ridiculous overpayment in term for a dime-a-dozen grinder. He should have been offered a Prust type deal, 4 years 2.5M per, not more than that.

Wasn't he RFA? Why the UFA type contract offer? Just a bad move all around.

This is one of Bergevin's biggest mistake so far (and keeping MT after last season). Two very good second round picks (in a deep draft) + that insane contract. Wow !

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Weren't we supposed to wait for the playoffs to see how great he is ? Could it be he was a product of the best team in the last 10 years ?

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Weren't we supposed to wait for the playoffs to see how great he is ? Could it be he was a product of the best team in the last 10 years ?

Colby Armstrong scored 20 goals playing on Crosby's wing. Probably earned him a few extra years in the league.

Shaw touched pucks while playing the PP with Toews, Kane, Hossa etc. Probably earned him twice the money and term he was worth here.

Happens often, it's poor pro scouting and MB having a crush on the Hawks organization.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
For a guy who was brought in for his playoffness he hasn't been very good. Talk about a dumb move by MB. I like Shaw as a player, but he isn't a 4 million dollar a year winger. He doesn't have the intangibles to cover the cost.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Colby Armstrong scored 20 goals playing on Crosby's wing. Probably earned him a few extra years in the league.

Shaw touched pucks while playing the PP with Toews, Kane, Hossa etc. Probably earned him twice the money and term he was worth here.

Happens often, it's poor pro scouting and MB having a crush on the Hawks organization.

MB allegedly was the one who scouted Shaw.

Which is the biggest issue with Bergevin - he made it to this position primarily because of his ability to find complimentary pieces, and still doesn't understand how to get to the point where a Shaw-like figure will get you over the edge.

The primary value of discovering guys like Shaw is to round out your team on the cheap. He has a lot of uses but not as a high paid key piece.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Dude is an elite third line player. Unfortunately he's paid like a top six.

More like an average third line veteran player... Nothing about his game is elite, except maybe at taking useless penalties.

Best case scenario is we get a new GM before expansion draft, and Vegas drinks the same crazy juice bargain bin was on last summer in the hopes of adding a gritty vet to their new roster

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I have no idea why we went out and paid the money we did for this guy and gave him that long contract.

Sir Jacques Demers

May 5, 2006
I have no idea why we went out and paid the money we did for this guy and gave him that long contract.

because mediocrity is this team's objective. Missing the playoffs is a PR disaster that could actually lead to reduced ticket sales, lower TV viewership, merchandise sales, etc.

So, they never risk a rebuild to miss the playoffs for a few years. They'll loose too much money.

The part I don't understand, is why they don't acquire guys like Vanek for the playoffs. As if somehow it would be prohibitively expensive in terms of draft picks.

Weather they want to win the cup or just pretend to want to win it, making acquisitions to fill GAPING holes seems to make a whole lot of sense... It's almost as though they are fixated on their goal of building the team through the draft, and then when it doesn't work out they have to make up bigger and bigger lies till everyone gets fired after 6 years

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

Because he's a grinder and Bergevin has no problem giving grinders their contracts but when it comes to star players it's suddenly an issue.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I remember being told that I had no idea what I was talking about when I first criticized this deal. I hated the Shaw deal the day it was made. I was told that we had to trust in Bergevin. Who am I, afterall, to disagree with ''one of Canada's brightest minds'' (someone seriously said that to describe Bergevin), and fixture of Team Canada's executive board. Shaw was a guy who you win with. Sure, his influence may not show up on the score sheet, which we could actually measure. No, his influence is only apparent to the trained eye. Who have the trained eyes to recognize Shaw's amazing contributions? Well, the overlap between this group and Bergevin's brigadiers is conpicuous to say the least.

So, now that this chapter of habs history is in the books, what would everyone rather have?

Eller + Abramov + Dahlén

Shaw + whomever's available at ~52-54 this year + whomever's available mid-late 2nd round next year

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Eller for two 2nd round picks was fine value. Had the plan been to give a bigger role to Danault and hope for him to fill Eller's shoes at a lesser cost on the third line, and stick with Galchenyuk at center on the 1st line, I think the Eller trade would have made sense.

Could have still traded Eller for all I care and never trade for Shaw... That would have been a possibility as well. Give Shaw's minutes on the third line to a young player instead.

As for not liking the Shaw trade in itself, it was wiiiiidely criticized on this board. The contract he signed after, even moreso.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Eller for two 2nd round picks was fine value. Had the plan been to give a bigger role to Danault and hope for him to fill Eller's shoes at a lesser cost on the third line, and stick with Galchenyuk at center on the 1st line, I think the Eller trade would have made sense.

Could have still traded Eller for all I care and never trade for Shaw... That would have been a possibility as well. Give Shaw's minutes on the third line to a young player instead.

As for not liking the Shaw trade in itself, it was wiiiiidely criticized on this board. The contract he signed after, even moreso.

Reading the ''rate Bergevin's offseason'' thread there were a few people who did not like the Shaw trade. But there were just as many, if not more people who gave it at least a B rating. The contract was widely panned, sure, but that's not what was bad about the move. What was bad about it was the asset management. Meanwhile, during the year those of us who criticized the deal were asked what those two second rounders would be doing to help the Montreal Canadiens by smug Bergevin defenders. Well, what did Shaw do?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I don't know, the way I remember it, it was at least a 50-50 split on the day it happened. Proportions probably got worse after the contract was announced.

Part of the reason I hated this trade as much as I did is that Bergevin didn't even wait to see what was available at his 2nd round picks before making the trade. Therefore, Timmins must have had very little say in it. What if a guy ranked on Timmins' top 10 is still available in the 2nd round? Do you still make the trade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->