Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
What's more likely:

- Shaw is still a Hab in 2020

Or

- Shaw traded to Chicago with 50% retained

If he doesn't play better next year his contract will become a problem. We need top 6 players so we can't afford to have a guy paid like a top 6 player and not playing like one.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Next edition is the Shawful edition.

Shouldn't be a problem, only five more years of Shaw threads.

Hope somebody locates the Playoff Warrior version of Shawzie because the team needs him ASAP.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Shouldn't be a problem, only five more years of Shaw threads.

Hope somebody locates the Playoff Warrior version of Shawzie because the team needs him ASAP.

While people criticize Patch, Price, Beaulieu, AG, etc with good reasons i think the guy who should get most of the heat is Shaw.

Patch we know who he is. He is a guy who help you make the playoffs. AG and Beaulieu are disappointing but let's be honest both are still some of the best picks we could make at those years and positions and they combine for a cap hit of 3.8 millions. Disappointing but it's not like we gave something for them or are paying them lot of money.

Shaw is one of the 2 guys MB got this summer to make a lidership, rispek and karakter statement. Danault made Eller expendable and we needed to upgrade the wing. We paid a high price for Shaw. DeBrincat is a good prospect. I don't know much about krys but i would not be surprised at all if DeBrincat becomes a better player than Shaw. We gave lot of money to Shaw for lot of years. So far he's not delivering it. He doesn't upgrade our team at all. And right now i would rather have the kids we would have picked with those picks than Shaw. I'll be honest if we ice Hudon instead of Shaw for the whole season i don't think it makes our team worse.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
While people criticize Patch, Price, Beaulieu, AG, etc with good reasons i think the guy who should get most of the heat is Shaw.

Patch we know who he is. He is a guy who help you make the playoffs. AG and Beaulieu are disappointing but let's be honest both are still some of the best picks we could make at those years and positions and they combine for a cap hit of 3.8 millions. Disappointing but it's not like we gave something for them or are paying them lot of money.

Shaw is one of the 2 guys MB got this summer to make a lidership, rispek and karakter statement. Danault made Eller expendable and we needed to upgrade the wing. We paid a high price for Shaw. DeBrincat is a good prospect. I don't know much about krys but i would not be surprised at all if DeBrincat becomes a better player than Shaw. We gave lot of money to Shaw for lot of years. So far he's not delivering it. He doesn't upgrade our team at all. And right now i would rather have the kids we would have picked with those picks than Shaw. I'll be honest if we ice Hudon instead of Shaw for the whole season i don't think it makes our team worse.

MB paid absolute premium in terms of the contract and in the trade, two high seconds for a guy the Hawks had to trade was too much. Flipping the Washington picks would have been better. Not making that trade at all and just signing a guy like Brouwer to be a gritty winger with a Cup ring would have been better still.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
A team in need of scoring definitely doesn't need to trade two high seconds for a bottom six player. It also doesn't need to spend 4 million on the cap for a bottom six player.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
I like Shaw, but he's overpaid.

Still, having a lineup with Radulov, Gallagher, Lekhonen and Shaw is pretty nice. Hard workers, good effective grinders. Would be nice to have 1-2 more like them and then have some strong puck possession players + shooters. I think Shaw has a solid role to play on this club.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I like Shaw, but he's overpaid.

Still, having a lineup with Radulov, Gallagher, Lekhonen and Shaw is pretty nice. Hard workers, good effective grinders. Would be nice to have 1-2 more like them and then have some strong puck possession players + shooters. I think Shaw has a solid role to play on this club.

Get some talent you mean

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Hopefully Shaw hasn't caught the "HF's posters brainwashing virus" negativity of the senses. Imagine that disease spreading throughout the NHL, no more real hockey ever.:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

The nerve of my relatives calling me sarcastic, what an understatement, shocking!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
A team in need of scoring definitely doesn't need to trade two high seconds for a bottom six player. It also doesn't need to spend 4 million on the cap for a bottom six player.

How many points do you think second line wingers should have?

What do you think the league average is for second line wingers?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Too bad he's out. We will miss his elite clutch playoff goalscoring poweress that we were promised he'd provide.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Second line wingers should have talent. He has none. He's a bottom 6 forward who is overpaid and makes no impact on the ice other than maybe taking a dumb major penalty.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

League average means *****. League average includes bad teams like Arizona.

6th best forward of the pens did 33 points in 40 games and is currently having 6 points in 5 playoffs game. Their 7th best forward got 37 points and 18 goals.

Washington 6th best forward got 48 points.

But the problem with Shaw is the whole season and not only the regular season. He was kind of okay i guess for most of the regular season outside of when he returned from his injury. But in playoffs he got 0 point so far. Also he is the 4th best paid forward so he should be compare to the best 2nd liners in the game not the average ones. If you want to win a cup your 4th best paid forward should be better than the average 4th best paid forward of other teams. If he is not then some other guys like Lehkonen must compensate.

Shaw has the power to render this all moot in the next 2 games. The ball is in his hand.

[edit]

Well looks like he wont have that power tonight ...

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I wish Habs would leave Shaw unprotected for the expansion draft. Not only is he overpaid, he's a concussion threat which will impede his play further. That contract is a risk to stop Habs from signing actual talent like Radulov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->