Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
He seems to up his game when promoted. But when he plays 4th line, he looks average. I never did get the criticism towards Shaw. We needed right handed shots and when you add his versatility (LW, C, RW), he fit our needs when we acquired him. Staying healthy has been an issue with him on the Habs.
Oh I get the criticism.....it’s a Bergevin trade so some posters or hot wired to the hate switch and automatically react negatively to any trade.

You on the other hand are objective and call what you see, not what you feel, that’s why I’ll make all the time in the world for your post. :)

Actually, since the habs have been playing decent, the trigger happy posters have sort of disappeared, this place mainly consists of very sane, respectful and pleasant posters.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh I get the criticism.....it’s a Bergevin trade so some posters or hot wired to the hate switch and automatically react negatively to any trade.

You on the other hand are objective and call what you see, not what you feel, that’s why I’ll make all the time in the world for your post. :)

Actually, since the habs have been playing decent, the trigger happy posters have sort of disappeared, this place mainly consists of very sane, respectful and pleasant posters.

Your pretty reasonable yourself so compliments right back at you!

I like Shaw. It's been frustrating that we can't get a full season of solid production from him but he is a good piece to have. I recall trade rumors on him last year where several other GM's were circling like vultures wanting to get him for cheap. His value is more than most want to admit. He can play any position and he is very good on face offs.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Your pretty reasonable yourself so compliments right back at you!

I like Shaw. It's been frustrating that we can't get a full season of solid production from him but he is a good piece to have. I recall trade rumors on him last year where several other GM's were circling like vultures wanting to get him for cheap. His value is more than most want to admit. He can play any position and he is very good on face offs.
Haha.....thanks!!

I’m a Bergevin fan, but have no issues calling him out if he makes a boneheaded move or I don’t agree with a trade or quote.

I even called for his dismissal if he wasn’t able to aquire a young talented C.....lucky for me he acquired Suzuki at the 11th hour :laugh:

I too believe Shaw has lots of value, especially now that he’s actually producing.

I believe he compliments his line very well, he’s the meat and potatoes of that line, the mucker, it allows to spread the talent through 4 lines. And hey, if you’re going into the 3rd and down a few, pull him off the line and insert a talented player from the other lines.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Haha.....thanks!!

I’m a Bergevin fan, but have no issues calling him out if he makes a boneheaded move or I don’t agree with a trade or quote.

I even called for his dismissal if he wasn’t able to aquire a young talented C.....lucky for me he acquired Suzuki at the 11th hour :laugh:

I too believe Shaw has lots of value, especially now that he’s actually producing.

I believe he compliments his line very well, he’s the meat and potatoes of that line, the mucker, it allows to spread the talent through 4 lines. And hey, if you’re going into the 3rd and down a few, pull him off the line and insert a talented player from the other lines.

I'm 50/50 on Bergevin at the moment. My concerns with him is his half attempts at his plans. When we were winning divisions in the past, he failed to find the missing pieces we needed. Now we are a much younger team with a struggling D and Bergevin refuses to call it a rebuild. Something tells me we go down a road similar to 2012. However, I'm willing to wait a bit longer cause he did make two very good moves this summer (The Galchenyuk and Patch returns). That buys him a bit more time with me.

We agree on Shaw 100%

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I'm 50/50 on Bergevin at the moment. My concerns with him is his half attempts at his plans. When we were winning divisions in the past, he failed to find the missing pieces we needed. Now we are a much younger team with a struggling D and Bergevin refuses to call it a rebuild. Something tells me we go down a road similar to 2012. However, I'm willing to wait a bit longer cause he did make two very good moves this summer (The Galchenyuk and Patch returns). That buys him a bit more time with me.

We agree on Shaw 100%
I’m on board with the 2012 comparison.....I get why they did it back then, but please, oh please don’t repeat 2012.

We are not allowed to trade picks for rentals, our focus should be our D, left side, or a PFW that can skate and score or hey, if we can aquire Nylander, I won’t be too pissed off :)

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
He seems to up his game when promoted. But when he plays 4th line, he looks average.
That's because his game has changed. He doesn't hit as much anymore because he could get injured again(don't blame him). I also don't know how long he is going to last on that top line, because if he doesn't it, he goes right back to the 4th line where he does nothing. I'm not going to answer why he receives criticism as it's been already discussed at length in the past.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's because his game has changed. He doesn't hit as much anymore because he could get injured again(don't blame him). I also don't know how long he is going to last on that top line, because if he doesn't it, he goes right back to the 4th line where he does nothing. I'm not going to answer why he receives criticism as it's been already discussed at length in the past.

Fair assessment.

Reactions: The Great Schlemko
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Nine points in 7 games. I'm glad his finally giving me reasons after week of getting shit for defending him. If he could stop taking bad penalties and leading to waived goal because of goalies infractions he could be a part of the core moving forward. He wont turn 28 until next season.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Nine points in 7 games. I'm glad his finally giving me reasons after week of getting **** for defending him. If he could stop taking bad penalties and leading to waived goal because of goalies infractions he could be a part of the core moving forward. He wont turn 28 until next season.
He needs to play in the top 6 in an offensive role, he doesn’t take as many penalties, he draws more penalties for us, and he scores way more.

Drouin-Domi-Shaw

This line is Gold.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Nine points in 7 games. I'm glad his finally giving me reasons after week of getting **** for defending him. If he could stop taking bad penalties and leading to waived goal because of goalies infractions he could be a part of the core moving forward. He wont turn 28 until next season.
Playing his best hockey yet in Montreal. He has been injured a lot since he got here. No doubt demised his performance. If we fall out of it Shaw be good to trade at deadline. He is a good playoff performer and having a good season,

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Liking how he complements Domi/Drouin but I disagree that he can't play bottom 6. For example next year when Suzuki and Poehling are up I could see us icing a line of

Byron-Danault-Shaw

Sure alot of posters here would hate that line, and they would be our top defensive/checking line, but that would be an excellent bottom 6 line that any team in the league would love to have.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
13pts in 20 games this year for Shaw...

Not so Shawful this year lol
still want him gone. would like to add size to my top 9 foward and I still dont think that he worth thr money his getting. he could br a good piece for a well size contender team but i just dont think we should stick to him. let him regain a bit of value a trade him.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Liking how he complements Domi/Drouin but I disagree that he can't play bottom 6. For example next year when Suzuki and Poehling are up I could see us icing a line of

Byron-Danault-Shaw

Sure alot of posters here would hate that line
, and they would be our top defensive/checking line, but that would be an excellent bottom 6 line that any team in the league would love to have.

I'm not one of them, that would be one of the best 3rd line in the league, i'd love too see that

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
If there's time to trade him, it's now. While he has some value. That flukepoint-production will end sooner than later.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
he exactly the type of linemate two talented players like drouin and domi need to create space and he has been nothing short of amazing with them. So please people (the one mad he is on first line), watch the damn games and judge with your eyes, not with predisposed ideas,
This team has some problems, but shaw is not one of them currently

Merci Saku

Sep 9, 2006
Longueuil, Québec
still want him gone. would like to add size to my top 9 foward and I still dont think that he worth thr money his getting. he could br a good piece for a well size contender team but i just dont think we should stick to him. let him regain a bit of value a trade him.

Why though?

He’s a 40pts guy and his salary is worth that, look around the NHL

Not the biggest but Hess like Gallagher and Domi, a heart and soul hard working player

Sorry but there’s a reason why he’s a keeper

The fixation of size needs to stop, you could get w big winger that is soft and lazy

Reactions: Habs Icing

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
Its not a fixation we just dont have any 6ft+ player in our top6 (beside maybe danault).... then we barely have 6ft + player in our bottom 6... I get it he play with heart and determination but like you saud we already got Gally & Domi that can play that role... i would see Byron and Lekhonen as my 3rd line winger... i dont see shaw in a top 6 in a near future, so why not get rid of him while hes pkaying well

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
When Shaw's playing well and healthy, he's exactly what we need; someone to go to the front of the net and pick up the scraps left by the skilled guys. It helps too that he's a little nutty and keeps opponents on edge.

I'd trade him, but it'd have to be something good coming back or we'd have plans to sign Wayne Simmonds to fill his place.

Reactions: Habs Icing

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Not a fan of his but like the way he has been playing these days
Pretty much how I feel, but definitely not a long term solution in the top 6. This has a Dale Weise feel all over again. Lets trade him now and watch him become a healthy scratch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad