Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm not sold on a small sample size. I'm not a fan, but if he proves me wrong I'll give him his due. Shoveling in 2 rebounds and tapping a puck in that was rolling in anyways doesn't confirm it for me. I still think those two would be better served with a player that can stick handle and regularly receive a pass without turning it over. But if his shoveling the puck forward/pinball style ends up being effective in the new NHL with no hooking to the hands (i.e. players with stickhandling ability and speed can shine) so be it.

The sample size includes last year too. Before his injury, he was playing like he has the last few games and he was very effective then, too. As soon as he has a few bad calls, a lot of people throw it all out the window and forget he is good when he's focused on his game.

The Shaw that has played with Domi/Drouin isn't new.

Also, who cares about stick handling abilities if the results are there? So he shovels a few rebounds in, it's like you're not content that it's a goal, you want it to be a specific type of goal.

And btw, the first goal he scored against Vegas, if he wasn't there to sweep it by Fleury, there's no goal. His second goal against Vegas, if he wasn't in front of the net to pick up the rebound from Domi's shot, there is no goal. His goal against Buffalo, even if the puck was trickling its way to the net, the fact he was there to ensure it went in is a positive. Not to mention, he and Domi aggressively won back the puck preventing Buffalo from clearing the zone. We shouldn't undermine his contribution on thag line right now because he's not the greatest stick handler.

Shaw is great on the forecheck, creates a lot of turnovers, creates havoc around the net, and is very good in the face-off circle. His game at this moment, is creating room for Domi and Drouin.

These last two games, Domi has 5 pts (5A), Drouin has 3 pts (1G, 2A), and Shaw has 3 pts (3G).

At some point, this could run its course and that's fine. But it's working now.

This is one of the qualities in the Habs line-up right now. They have a bunch of wingers who can move up and down the line-up and will simply slot right in. Wingers like Shaw, Byron, Lehkonen, and Hudon.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The sample size includes last year too. Before his injury, he was playing like he has the last few games and he was very effective then, too. As soon as he has a few bad calls, a lot of people throw it all out the window and forget he is good when he's focused on his game.

Also, who cares about stick handling abilities if the results are there? So he shovels a few rebounds in, it's like you're not content that it's a goal, you want it to be a specific type of goal.

And btw, the first goal he scored against Vegas, if he wasn't there to sweep it by Fleury, there's no goal. His second goal against Vegas, if he wasn't in front of the net to pick up the rebound from Domi's shot, there is no goal. His goal against Buffalo, even if the puck was trickling its way to the net, the fact he was there to ensure it went in is a positive. Not to mention, he and Domi aggressively won back the puck preventing Buffalo from clearing the zone. We shouldn't undermine his contribution on thag line right now because he's not the greatest stick handler.

Shaw is great on the forecheck, creates a lot of turnovers, creates havoc around the net, and is very good in the face-off circle. His game at this moment, is creating room for Domi and Drouin.

These last two games, Domi has 5 pts (5A), Drouin has 3 pts (1G, 2A), and Shaw has 3 pts (3G).

This is one of the qualities in the Habs line-up right now. They have a bunch of wingers who can move up and down the line-up and will simply slot right in. Wingers like Shaw, Byron, Lehkonen, and Hudon.

As I stated: if the results are there long term I will be content. Shaw has never produced enough to justify being on the first line. If something changes, great.

But given his issues stickhandling and receiving passes, I'm not projecting this reacent production in a small sample to continue, nor am I projecting production worthy of being on the first line. If I'm wrong good for him. It's not about liking a certain style of production it's about projecting future production based on ability. I don't think the pinball style will be effective enough to be a 1st liner, or even a top 9er in the new NHL. Time will tell.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

True, but there were a ton of high quality singers available this summer for next to nothing - high quality as in better than most of what we have, and our GM passed on them. I was livid. We still need more talented offensive players. I'm talking about Skinner, David Perron, Duclair, could have gotten Domi without giving up Galchenyuk, Sheary, perhaps Buffalo would have taken on Alzner to get rid of Okposo's contract, etc...

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Still think he's a much better player than Charles Hudon and likely better than Lehks as well, contrary to our poll results

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Another good game... 6 pts in his last 4 games, 0 penality and +5. Continue like this Shaw!
Shaw has had stretches like this with the Habs before...the problem seems to be that every time it seems like he's in a groove, he gets injured.

I know he's not the most popular player among Habs fans, but he's a good player.

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
Shawzy has been playing great and the edge is back, which is so key for him.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Agree.....really liked this player (Hudon) as he was climbing the charts but he’s really fallen down the pecking order.....if he can get somewhat hot here in the next little bit he could turn into a good trading chip

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Then not that big of a loss.
Oh, HF a little while back would’ve told you different. Ghetto and his 1pt thus far.....lol

He’s turning into exactly who I thought he’d turn into....

We didn’t get much but we didn’t give much either. The silver lining here is it opened up a roster spot for another talented player to emerge.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Oh, HF a little while back would’ve told you different. Ghetto and his 1pt thus far.....lol

He’s turning into exactly who I thought he’d turn into....

We didn’t get much but we didn’t give much either. The silver lining here is it opened up a roster spot for another talented player to emerge.

Hudon had first chance with Drouin and Domi and failed. Shaw took the chance and now he's hot.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Hudon had first chance with Drouin and Domi and failed. Shaw took the chance and now he's hot.

It is Shaw 3r or 4th chance though. At one point if Shaw can't be more consistent we will have to accept he is not what some think he is. It's not the first time Shaw as a good sequence here. I've been enjoying this season so far but the way some players get a lot more leash than others here is imo unacceptable and will eventually create problems like it always did in the past 30 years.

This management is very patient with Benn, Alzner and Shaw imo. Way too much. It will eventually create problems as some kids will push to get a spot in the upcoming years. I really hope it's the last season they are given to redeem themselves.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I like Shaw; he's a gamer, and he reminds me of old school hockey (which I miss sometimes). Even little things like his reaction when Backlund went after Drouin on the bench last night, it looked like he would have jumped off and went through their whole team if he could have. Passion for the game and your team is something you can't really teach.

Probably a tad overpaid, but we always have to overpay guys to stay here. I hope he stays healthy and keeps up the solid play.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
This management is very patient with Benn, Alzner and Shaw imo. Way too much. It will eventually create problems as some kids will push to get a spot in the upcoming years. I really hope it's the last season they are given to redeem themselves.

Well.... Shaw and Alzner have long term contracts so they have no choice to be patient. Alzner is really not playing that much so there's no patience this year.

Shaw is better than he shown last year, it was a year of injuries for him.

Benn is gone at one point, he's maybe even the next to go... he's tradeable for a pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->