Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Agree.....really liked this player (Hudon) as he was climbing the charts but he’s really fallen down the pecking order.....if he can get somewhat hot here in the next little bit he could turn into a good trading chip

I agree that Hudon has shown some good things. A player like him though is not likely to get more opportunities from Julien. CJ has a very limited view of what a good player does, and he's not likely to deviate from that any time soon.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
When Byron and Armia will be back, Shaw will drop back on the 3rd or 4th line but at least it's good to know that if there's injuries or a shake up is needed in-game, he can still do the job. Right now, he has earned a stay on that line....as long as he don't take dumb penalties again.

Apr 28, 2010
When Byron and Armia will be back, Shaw will drop back on the 3rd or 4th line but at least it's good to know that if there's injuries or a shake up is needed in-game, he can still do the job. Right now, he has earned a stay on that line....as long as he don't take dumb penalties again.

I think Shaw is wising up now. He knows it'll only take one dumb penalty and he'll be in the pressbox once again. Pretty sure costing Mete his first NHL goal is still on his mind. I don't think he'd want to be benched again.

Hope he keeps this up.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

If Shaw continues to play like this, he won't be demoted
Byron and Armia don't have a top 6 spot locked in

Reactions: Vachon23

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I would much prefer Byron on the 3rd line. But then again I just at least hope he gets a shot. Then, let the better player of Armia or Byron play on the 3rd line. It should be earned

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Hey, if Shaw keeping it up he won't be demoted for sure but that's where i have my doubts.
But ride the wave as long as possible, that's a given.

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
Lol 2-3 games and everybody forgot about all his dumb play, his dumb penaltys & his absurd contract. If yall really see Shaw as a locked in top 6 foward theres a serious problem in our team.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I think Shaw is wising up now. He knows it'll only take one dumb penalty and he'll be in the pressbox once again. Pretty sure costing Mete his first NHL goal is still on his mind. I don't think he'd want to be benched again.

Hope he keeps this up.
It’s been proven that Shaw draws more penalties then he takes them

Having said that, I’m liking this new and improved Shaw....limit his yearly fights and stop trying to run over everything. If he can play a Gallagher type game with a little more nastiness, he’ll be very effective for us moving fwd

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Can we stop talking about his contract and concentrate on what he brings to the team ? He's one of the most popular player in the team always give all what he have on the ice I prefered a player that take penalties because of his high intensity then a player that is lazy ! You will never see Sherbak take this kind of penalties ! Drouin and Domi are really producing with Shaw and that's the important thing !

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Shaw playing better with Drouin and Domi. Looks like he did with the Black Hawks. That line certainly makes things happen out there

He's productive right now, but I think his best form as a hab was right before the concussion on that play with Krug.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm like this Shaw too for the time being.

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada
ya, but what does Domi know about hockey :sarcasm:
He might not remember the price we paid to acquire Shaw. Two high 2nd round picks was f***ing overpayment from day one, without knowing how good Debrincat and say Girard would become. And then you have the contract.

That being said, Shaw is playing great hockey lately. But as soon as he is back on the 3rd-4th line and taking costly penalties, fans will bring the abovementionned back in the conversation. With good reason. And sadly for Shaw, he will take some heat, but that’s all on MB.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
He might not remember the price we paid to acquire Shaw. Two high 2nd round picks was ****ing overpayment from day one, without knowing how good Debrincat and say Girard would become. And then you have the contract.

That being said, Shaw is playing great hockey lately. But as soon as he is back on the 3rd-4th line and taking costly penalties, fans will bring the abovementionned back in the conversation. With good reason. And sadly for Shaw, he will take some heat, but that’s all on MB.
Let’s keep Shaw in the top 6 in an offensive role. He’s our 2nd best option at RW after Gallagher.

Andrew Shaw is a way more effective top 6 player than Phil Danault.

Reactions: cphabs

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
He might not remember the price we paid to acquire Shaw. Two high 2nd round picks was ****ing overpayment from day one, without knowing how good Debrincat and say Girard would become. And then you have the contract.

The contract is irrelevant...we are nothing close to the cap, and it’s not standing in the way of us acquiring talent or us having to trade away talent. If and if it ever does, I’ll put the blame on the Alzner contract, that one deserves all the criticism it gets.

Yes, we lost out on Debrincat, in hindsight, we never should’ve done that deal.

But this is the risk you take when you trade second round picks for established players.

It worked out for the habs with the Vanek deal and Petry deal....the picks and prospects we traded away amounted to not much if anything......this time, in regards to Shaw, it did.

We will not come on the winning end of every trade, this I can guarantee, and this goes for all teams. Look at McPhee, he was regarded as a genius last season, but it was grand larceny when we acquired Tatar, Suzuki and that second for Casperetty.

If I had to redo it, I’d take Debrincat and Girard for sure, but what the hell, maybe we are better and don’t end up with Kotkaniemi. Then maybe Pacioretty is better with Debrincat and we end not trading him....no Suzuki

Kotkaniemi/Shaw/Suzuki/Tatar

Or

Debrincat/Girard/Pacioretty

We’re at where we’re at!!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It’s been proven that Shaw draws more penalties then he takes them

Having said that, I’m liking this new and improved Shaw....limit his yearly fights and stop trying to run over everything. If he can play a Gallagher type game with a little more nastiness, he’ll be very effective for us moving fwd

He seems to up his game when promoted. But when he plays 4th line, he looks average. I never did get the criticism towards Shaw. We needed right handed shots and when you add his versatility (LW, C, RW), he fit our needs when we acquired him. Staying healthy has been an issue with him on the Habs.

Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad