Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Wasn’t Shaw untouchable at the deadline last year? Core character guy we needed for the rebuild?
Didn't he severely injure himself trying to run at Greg Pateryn, who is half a foot taller than him, around that time?

I really don't like how Shaw played last year. I hoped I'd never see him in a Habs jersey again. I don't want more to see more self-imposed concussions in a Habs jersey.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
He has had a tough go with the Habs, I think he is a 20/20 guy if he he stays healthy could be a real solid top 9 guy for us

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He has had a tough go with the Habs, I think he is a 20/20 guy if he he stays healthy could be a real solid top 9 guy for us

While I admire his work ethic and team spirit, I still don't want to see him in the top 9. He can't stick handle, or receive a pass, well enough. I hope we can do better in the top 9.

But honestly, I'm excited to see him ride this hot streak for as long as it last. It's fun watching a guy who can't stick handle will his way to th crease and will the puck in. Not sure how long the production can last with him doing that though. I mean if it takes playing with Kane and Toews or Domi and Drouin to score 15 goals, I think we should find someone else.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Another solid game by Shawy. Handles the puck fairly well, skates good, very good on the wall and gets to the front of the net while Max and Joe do their thing. That line was excellent last night and it helps spread out the talent to all our lines which is ideal for out situation.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Good Shawzie plays a hard nosed but relatively disciplined game where he is forechecking hard, digging out pucks and a nuisance in front of other teams net.

Bad Shawzie is unfocused , lacks any sort of discipline and would take a retaliatory penalty 5 seconds after the ref calls one o the other team, in overtime.

Good Shawzie or Bad Shawzie, what you get tonight is an absolute dice roll most games.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
While I admire his work ethic and team spirit, I still don't want to see him in the top 9. He can't stick handle, or receive a pass, well enough. I hope we can do better in the top 9.

But honestly, I'm excited to see him ride this hot streak for as long as it last. It's fun watching a guy who can't stick handle will his way to th crease and will the puck in. Not sure how long the production can last with him doing that though. I mean if it takes playing with Kane and Toews or Domi and Drouin to score 15 goals, I think we should find someone else.

Full 80 games his career numbers are 17/17. Has one 20 goal season and scores 12 in 37 as a 20yo. I think his current production will last and he can get close to 20/20 playing 15 mins top 6.

And he produces closer to 50 point pace in the playoffs - if and when we get back he is likely a key piece for us. Was one our beat forwards against the rangers

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Full 80 games his career numbers are 17/17. Has one 20 goal season and scores 12 in 37 as a 20yo. I think his current production will last and he can get close to 20/20 playing 15 mins top 6.

And he produces closer to 50 point pace in the playoffs - if and when we get back he is likely a key piece for us. Was one our beat forwards against the rangers

Well the game has changed, so it remains to be seen if a player with limited puck skills can still produce like he did in the past. It's great that he can produce mediocre numbers playing with Kane and Toews or Drouin and Domi, but not sure we can't do better on the top line or that he can produce like that on the 3rd line.

He's earned his shot. We'll see what he can do with it.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
He skates well so I don’t think the game has passed him by. And the fact that coaches put him with good players says something - it really is a top 9 rotation, 12 for some teams. The days of a true top 6 are over and most teams have a crossover guy playing with good players. You have to balance all three lines, and someone has to retrieve pucks.

Agree though, time will tell. He needs to stay healthy and avoid the dumb stuff, if he does that I think he pots 20 this year.

Hockey Joe

Dec 18, 2007
Montreal
Averell has been pretty good since he escaped the press box.

814deaf4-c75b-48fb-b406-867809e4d1b3_JDX-NO-RATIO_WEB.jpg

Averelle_Mag_400x400.gif

Reactions: Archijerej

WG

Sep 9, 2008

He was a ghost. Not sure what playoffs you saw. He had lots of company but I thought Shaw was a total non factor. Especially as he was sold to us as this mythical playoff warrior.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think some forget how effective he is when he plays like he has since he was put on the Domi/Drouin line.

I'm not sold on a small sample size. I'm not a fan, but if he proves me wrong I'll give him his due. Shoveling in 2 rebounds and tapping a puck in that was rolling in anyways doesn't confirm it for me. I still think those two would be better served with a player that can stick handle and regularly receive a pass without turning it over. But if his shoveling the puck forward/pinball style ends up being effective in the new NHL with no hooking to the hands (i.e. players with stickhandling ability and speed can shine) so be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad