Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Perfect 4 Liner but even that is debatable

Shaw is far from a 4th liner. Maybe you should look around the league and see what a fourth liner is.

It's crazy the hate that this guy gets around here. I can't understand why the hate for a physical player with good hands that can play everywhere and in every situation. Is it because of a contract that he deserve ? For the bad penalties that he sometimes take ? For the two picks he was traded for ?

His production is similar to his Chicago's days.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Shaw is far from a 4th liner. Maybe you should look around the league and see what a fourth liner is.

It's crazy the hate that this guy gets around here. I can't understand why the hate for a physical player with good hands that can play everywhere and in every situation. Is it because of a contract that he deserve ? For the bad penalties that he sometimes take ? For the two picks he was traded for ?

I can’t understand your admiration for a player who has done nothing to help this team whatsoever since he has arrived. Nothing

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
I can’t understand your admiration for a player who has done nothing to help this team whatsoever since he has arrived. Nothing

He was injured both seasons since joining the team. In a full season he can give you 15 goals and bring a lot of versatility. He is not as bad as some people say and he can help this team.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He was injured both seasons since joining the team. In a full season he can give you 15 goals and bring a lot of versatility. He is not as bad as some people say and he can help this team.

Byron should get a really nice raise used on this...

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
In less than one hour, the Sabres will be on the hook for O'Reilly's $7.5m bonus if he isn't traded by then.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
In less than one hour, the Sabres will be on the hook for O'Reilly's $7.5m bonus if he isn't traded by then.

Teams don't really care that much about money anymore. Thee last lockout took care of that. That's why very few teams play near the cap floor.

They're not going to give ROR away for free to save money.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Its not because you can play in every situations that it means you should.

Shaw is bad on the PK, takes brain dead penalties and almost every game he plays I have a facepalm moment watching him doing his BS

He does take bad penalties, I can't argue with that. But he is helpful in all those situations. I find him good on the PK especially that he can cover for the faceoff without a problem.

Byron should get a really nice raise used on this...

He will, we should start looking for comparable to see his market value.

You can’t help when you are always injured.

Yes, but when Shaw is healthy he can contribute to this team.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET

If we're gonna insist on these types of players (and we shouldn't, Shaw doesn't intimidate anyone, let's be real here) I'd have kept Weise at a lower term and salary and not given up two good 2nd round picks to get him.

Bromance between Shawzy and Bergy is why he's here, overpaid and over-termed. And now ineffective due to multiple head injuries. He hasn't made this team any better at any point.

Reactions: Halakitlikethat

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
If we're gonna insist on these types of players (and we shouldn't, Shaw doesn't intimidate anyone, let's be real here) I'd have kept Weise at a lower term and salary and not given up two good 2nd round picks to get him.

Bromance between Shawzy and Bergy is why he's here, overpaid and over-termed. And now ineffective due to multiple head injuries. He hasn't made this team any better at any point.

How is he overpaid ? Find me player posting the same numbers while not making the same amount of money.

He doesn't intimidate anyone, but he plays a physical game. Strong on the boards, good a keeping the puck in the offensive zone, always around the net and backing when things gets rough. The guy has a talent to get in the head of the opposition. He's vocal, brings energy and can score without putting his team in danger defensively. He can also play center, which can be a good asset in certain situations.

He can’t stay healthy. He’s a broken player. Bergevins worst trade and contract

To be honest, and I may be the only one this board, I like his contract. After next season he will be making less than 3 millions a year for three seasons. If Shaw can stay healthy he will be easily tradeable. A player like him from 27 to 30 years old making less than 3 millions would be a good add anywhere.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
How is he overpaid ? Find me player posting the same numbers while not making the same amount of money.

He doesn't intimidate anyone, but he plays a physical game. Strong on the boards, good a keeping the puck in the offensive zone, always around the net and backing when things gets rough. The guy has a talent to get in the head of the opposition. He's vocal, brings energy and can score without putting his team in danger defensively. He can also play center, which can be a good asset in certain situations.

To be honest, and I may be the only one this board, I like his contract. After next season he will be making less than 3 millions a year for three seasons. If Shaw can stay healthy he will be easily tradeable. A player like him from 27 to 30 years old making less than 3 millions would be a good add anywhere.

Gonna be tough to list all the guys who cost less per point than Shaw. According to capfriendly.com he's ranked #608 in cost per point scored (#450 in cost per goal scored) last season. That's well into the bottom half of the league. He was #476 the season before so he got worse. That's pretty terrible.

As far as his actual salary dropping, that's totally irrelevant for a rich team like Montreal. His cap hit remains at 3.9 regardless of what he takes home. Makes it slightly easier to deal him to a cash strapped team, however.

Reactions: Tyson

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Teams don't really care that much about money anymore. Thee last lockout took care of that. That's why very few teams play near the cap floor.

They're not going to give ROR away for free to save money.

According to Pierre Lebrun, Sabres have told teams that the price to acquire ROR will go up once they're on the hook for that $7.5m. That's quite pertinent for the Habs if they are truly interested in acquiring him.

And contrary to your claim, some teams do care about money. That's why the Senators are trying to include Bobby Ryan in Erik Karlsson trade talks.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Gonna be tough to list all the guys who cost less per point than Shaw. According to capfriendly.com he's ranked #608 in cost per point scored (#450 in cost per goal scored) last season. That's well into the bottom half of the league. He was #476 the season before so he got worse. That's pretty terrible.

As far as his actual salary dropping, that's totally irrelevant for a rich team like Montreal. His cap hit remains at 3.9 regardless of what he takes home. Makes it slightly easier to deal him to a cash strapped team, however.

His cost per points and cost per goals don't really matter here without the context. On standard contracts you have 700 players. Did you look at the players placed behind him and around him ? Did you look at the difference in money between the players ranked in front and behind Shaw ? This stat is irrelevant to say the least. Even Galchenyuk is rated behind him, and I bet everybody here would take Galchenyuk before Shaw.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
His cost per points and cost per goals don't really matter here without the context. On standard contracts you have 700 players. Did you look at the players placed behind him and around him ? Did you look at the difference in money between the players ranked in front and behind Shaw ? This stat is irrelevant to say the least. Even Galchenyuk is rated behind him, and I bet everybody here would take Galchenyuk before Shaw.

What? Galchenyuk cost 96,000 per point last year. Shaw cost 195,000 (121,000 if you standardize by games). Of course we would take Galchenyuk over Shaw.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
given the concussionS he had since being a Habs, how many full season you think he'll play in the next 3 or 4 seasons ?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
According to Pierre Lebrun, Sabres have told teams that the price to acquire ROR will go up once they're on the hook for that $7.5m. That's quite pertinent for the Habs if they are truly interested in acquiring him.

And contrary to your claim, some teams do care about money. That's why the Senators are trying to include Bobby Ryan in Erik Karlsson trade talks.

And yet ROR wasn't traded.

Lose the fantasy. This isn't 1996 or even 2006 anymore. Most NHL teams have the money they need. Again: very few teams play near the cap floor.

Reactions: Runner77

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia

Ottawa’s position is not indicative of all
The other teams. That wasn’t a good example to give.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
And yet ROR wasn't traded.

Lose the fantasy. This isn't 1996 or even 2006 anymore. Most NHL teams have the money they need. Again: very few teams play near the cap floor.

From a Habs perspective, I'm not talking about money....I'm talking about the assets (players, prospects, picks) to acquire ROR going up. Also I'll take Pierre Lebrun's word over yours on whether the Sabres told teams the trade demands for ROR would increase once they were on the hook for the 7.5m.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
From a Habs perspective, I'm not talking about money....I'm talking about the assets (players, prospects, picks) to acquire ROR going up. Also I'll take Pierre Lebrun's word over yours on whether the Sabres told teams the trade demands for ROR would increase once they were on the hook for the 7.5m.

I'll take the reality, ROR wasn't traded for a sweet package. The 7.5 million dollars just didn't go that far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad