Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There has to be a team that will be dumb enough to take him. The real question is that are we smart enough to move him?

Nope, MB is not Even after it's clear he has a bad contract and doesn't do much on the ice, according to insiders (LeBrun, Dreger, etc...) MB said he wasn't available at the deadline last year and many teams were interested. smh

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
given the concussionS he had since being a Habs, how many full season you think he'll play in the next 3 or 4 seasons ?

I'm surprised he's cleared to play, frankly. I wonder how much he's putting himself at risk. If he would at least change his playing style, however, we all know how difficult that would be -- it's his bread and butter. If he stops being a charging, no-holds barred psycho, he's just another guy.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
How many bad penalties can a “character” player take before you staple his ass to the bench?

What annoys me most about him is his lack of skill - I mean of course the bad penalties are annoying. But I'd bench him even if he wasn't taking the bad penalties.

Every time the puck comes around the boards on his side, he's unable to quickly corral it and make a pass to exit the zone. He often bobbles it, coughs it up, and ultimately doesn't get the puck out. And in the offensive zone plays die on his stick. The worst is on the pp. Whenever he's not in front of the net and he gets the puck, we might as well ice the puck ourselves - it's an automatic turnover and ice. And when he's in front of the net, more often than not he's either interfering with the goalie or kicking the puck in - in the end nullifying good scoring chances.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The Blackhawks wanted Shaw back a couple of years ago. But that was when they thought grit and character was the reason they weren't getting back to the finals. I would think the Panarin - Saad swap changed their mind on that front.

I would retain half his salary to get our two 2nds back.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don’t even hate Shaw and do think he has a place on the team. His usage is all wrong. You can’t have him AND DLo on the same line. You have crazy speed on 3 lines and 2 dump truck next to a Ferrari on the 4th. Makes no sense. Have Peca, Scherbak and Hudon in the 4th and cycle Shaw and DLo in and out depending on the opponent we’re facing. But they shouldn’t be in together at the same time and on the same line. I’d even be fine sitting Armia from time to time as well to get Hudon and Scherbak into the lineup. More skill equals more scoring opportunities especially against another teams 4th line.

Tatar Danault Gally
Drouin Domi Lehkonen
Byron Koko Scherbak
Hudon Peca Shaw/DLo

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I hate this guy if only for what he cost us. How does a team that drafts 9th give up such a price for a third liner.

And knowing we likely wouldve drafted one if not both of Debrincat and Girard makes it all the more insane. This team is in a hell of a good position going forward without this deal.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The Blackhawks wanted Shaw back a couple of years ago. But that was when they thought grit and character was the reason they weren't getting back to the finals. I would think the Panarin - Saad swap changed their mind on that front.

You wont get the two 2nd back. We got two very end of 2nd round pick in two future drafts for Eller (so barely two 2nd) and he's clearly a superior player there's no question about it.

We will be lucky to get one of the 2nd round pick back. He should be traded before his reputation is done. Lot of GM are slow to adjust their expectation of players slowing down to either injuries or age when they have a good reputation. But eventually they'll realize Shaw is nothing more then an ordinary bottom 6 player almost paid like a 2nd line player.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You wont get the two 2nd back. We got two very end of 2nd round pick in two future drafts for Eller (so barely two 2nd) and he's clearly a superior player there's no question about it.

We will be lucky to get one of the 2nd round pick back. He should be traded before his reputation is done. Lot of GM are slow to adjust their expectation of players slowing down to either injuries or age when they have a good reputation. But eventually they'll realize Shaw is nothing more then an ordinary bottom 6 player almost paid like a 2nd line player.

Yeah I'm ready to cut our losses and just want his contract off the books and his ice time to go to younger or just better players - players that can stick-handle as opposed to shovel the puck around.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
This player is a liability on the ice. I don’t care about other intangibles. Waste of a roster spot. Horrible signing.

Reactions: HOPE

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Wasn’t Shaw untouchable at the deadline last year? Core character guy we needed for the rebuild?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

A couple years ago we acquired him? This is Shaws third season with the club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->