Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Like Therrien as coach, Bergevin will never get another opportunity at GM. The old boys network might
find him a lesser assistant position, but I suspect it would be a minor one.

It's likely he works as an assistant GM again after Montreal but I wouldn't rule out him being a GM elsewhere. GMs with worse history have got GM jobs again. Let's recall he's a very good interview.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It's likely he works as an assistant GM again after Montreal but I wouldn't rule out him being a GM elsewhere. GMs with worse history have got GM jobs again. Let's recall he's a very good interview.

I'm not certain Bergevin is ingratiating himself with other GMs. That short vid with him being shunned by Treliving is likely more than a singular perception IMO.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018

All about being at the right place at the right time. Could be an asisstant....GM gets fired and they use him as interim GM, he pulls off a fluke deal and then they retain him as their long term GM.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
All about being at the right place at the right time. Could be an asisstant....GM gets fired and they use him as interim GM, he pulls off a fluke deal and then they retain him as their long term GM.

I can also envision a scenario where Arizona fires Chayka, feels like they need to go the opposite direction, and hires Marc Bergevin to be that opposite direction with Sean Burke as assistant GM. Or vice versa.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Sure. But there's a difference between stupid and pariah. Ask yourself what Bergevin might have done to invite the invisible treatment he received from Treliving.

That's one GM. He's quite chummy with Dale Tallon that I know of. As a former NHL player he's likely got friends on other teams that would vouch for him. It's not just a retirement home in Montreal. St. Louis is former player city as well.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
That's one GM. He's quite chummy with Dale Tallon that I know of. As a former NHL player he's likely got friends on other teams that would vouch for him. It's not just a retirement home in Montreal. St. Louis is former player city as well.

Could be. I'm definitely reading more into it than you are. Time will tell I imagine.

Reactions: Runner77

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
No Weber, No Byron and No Shaw to start next season will force Bergevin to sign a dmen and definitely throw crazy money at Stastny or Bozak.

Weber should be back, he's out for 4 months so he might not train hard this summer but he's going to be available in September for the training camp

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Could be. I'm definitely reading more into it than you are. Time will tell I imagine.

I find we sometimes live too much in a bubble and forget that there's some really, really dumb general managers all over the league, and GMs that are more like Gainey where they are relatively good at their jobs but still make very stupid decisions. The league also will usually have preference to people with experience over new GMs, though lately it's been an assistant GM hiring spree in the league. Still, George McPhee traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat and got the Vegas job. You can do a lot of bad before you're considered unhireable.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I find we sometimes live too much in a bubble and forget that there's some really, really dumb general managers all over the league, and GMs that are more like Gainey where they are relatively good at their jobs but still make very stupid decisions. The league also will usually have preference to people with experience over new GMs, though lately it's been an assistant GM hiring spree in the league. Still, George McPhee traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat and got the Vegas job. You can do a lot of bad before you're considered unhireable.
McPhee is a mediocre GM. He's somewhat good, or actually great at identifying young sleeper talent and parlaying expiring contracts into draft picks--and is successful at getting players who can raise their stock. He's bad at making deadline trades. The Tatar trade this year was another "huh?" moment for him, and there's the Joe Corvo trade. That's the good and the bad of McPhee.

Anyway, Washington would not even have a Forsberg to dispose of if McPhee's previous asset management of Varlamov didn't land him that draft pick from Colorado which became Forsberg. The pick for Varlamov was from Nashville for Brendan Witt, a player I would best describe as a 3rd pair fighting defenseman.

There are also mitigating circumstances it is likely McPhee was making moves to win a Cup NOW with him at the helm since his job was on the line. He would lose his position the next season. Erat was a consistent 60 point player and McPhee wanted his name on a Cup. Thus, his self-interest no longer coincided with the long-term interests of the Capitals.

Bergevin doesn't have to worry about job security and he still managed to ruin things far more quickly. McPhee guided Washington through an intentional rebuild, with mass sell-offs of Jagr, Robert Lang, Gonchar, etc and drafted OV, Backstrom, Carlson, who are still underpinning the Capitals to this day.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

You guys are a hoot. Gotta love the implication that Bergevin is a really, really dumb General Manager. Seriously, WhoTF are you guys!? Mensa protégés in comparison. I find that really hard to believe.

A little respect would go a long way towards being respected, if you're wondering.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
You guys are a hoot. Gotta love the implication that Bergevin is a really, really dumb General Manager. Seriously, WhoTF are you guys!? Mensa protégés in comparison. I find that really hard to believe.

A little respect would go a long way towards being respected, if you're wondering.
Know whats hard to believe is that even with average IQ on this board we are all smarter than the moron that is ruining this organization. Take your pick Moronson, or Bergidiot. This trade was horrible right from the start and this is just making it all the better for us Haters because we asked these questions a while ago.
Don't have to be mensa, or even above average to be smarter than Bergevin, just higher than room temperature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad