Player Discussion Andrew Shaw II - Playoff Edition

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
As much as sucky thing it is to do, maybe we can hope that Shaw swallows his pride and retires and we give him in a job on the team, kind of like what certains team have done in the past (Riley Cote, Ryane Clowe).

The guy's 26 years old... Come on man!

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
The guy's 26 years old... Come on man!

And how many more concussions until he's in Pronger territory, not able to turn on the lights, tolerate loud noises or leave his home?

As difficult as it must be to have a career cut short due to injury, in Shaw's case, this might be the right choice. He's won his cups, he's rich and he's got a new family at home.

I don't particularly like the guy as a player but as a father of young kids myself I hope he doesn't put a few more years of playing for a crap team ahead of his own well being.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
And how many more concussions until he's in Pronger territory, not able to turn on the lights, tolerate loud noises or leave his home?

As difficult as it must be to have a career cut short due to injury, in Shaw's case, this might be the right choice. He's won his cups, he's rich and he's got a new family at home.

I don't particularly like the guy as a player but as a father of young kids myself I hope he doesn't put a few more years of playing for a crap team ahead of his own well being.
Last thing he should want is relating to your username.

Reactions: badbrains

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
And he's won two Stanley Cups, btw he's turning 27 in less than a month. With all the former players speaking out about concussions, it wouldn't be a bad idea for Shaw to hang them up.

So was Crosby supposed to retire a couple of years back when he had like 3 concussions back to back and missed ~ 150 games?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
So was Crosby supposed to retire a couple of years back when he had like 3 concussions back to back and missed ~ 150 games?
Holy hyperbole. There's a difference between Crosby and Shaw, and I'm sure Crosby contemplated it. Why do you think Nash reportedly turned down a multi year deal worth 15 millions? Health is more important than legacy or money.

Reactions: Peanut

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Holy hyperbole. There's a difference between Crosby and Shaw, and I'm sure Crosby contemplated it. Why do you think Nash reportedly turned down a multi year deal worth 15 millions? Health is more important than legacy or money.

How is this hyperbole? Why should the skill or the quality of the player be a factor?

You said it yourself Health is more important than legacy or money... So there shouldn't be any difference between these examples.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
How is this hyperbole? Why should the skill or the quality of the player be a factor?

You said it yourself Health is more important than legacy or money... So there shouldn't be any difference between these examples.
Yes admittedly, health is more important than those things but you're talking about a generational level talent vs a third liner. It's not hard to see the difference...

Reactions: Peanut

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Yes admittedly, health is more important than those things but you're talking about a generational level talent vs a third liner. It's not hard to see the difference...
So Crosby risking his life is fine but Shaw should just retire?

I mean you clearly just don't like the player, stop trying to pass it like you are indeed concerned about his health...

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
So Crosby risking his life is fine but Shaw should just retire?

I mean you clearly just don't like the player, stop trying to pass it like you are indeed concerned about his health...
I never even pretended that my main motive was Shaw's health here. Re-read my initial post, I don't care how insensitive how sound, that contract sucks balls and he's only going to get worse.

Apr 28, 2010
I'm in the minority. I actually like the guy. Chicago has been my second favorite team.

I'd use him as 3rd/4th line C. Overpaid but I think he'll bounce back like Price/Weber this coming season.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET

There were discussions at the time suggesting that Crosby should consider retirement. There are tons of variables when it comes to making a decision like that. I can't speak for any player, obviously. That said..

Shaw's a multiple cup winning third liner on a terrible team with virtually no chance of winning a cup here during his deal. He could retire on grounds of injury and collect nhlpha insurance for life.

Crosby was the captain of a perennial powerhouse, a generational hall of fame bound talent with a great chance to win again and again. He, as we all know, ended up winning two more Cups after deciding to continue to play.

All things being equal health wise between the two players I'd suggest that Shaw has much less to gain by continuing his career versus Crosby at that time.

But personally I'd prefer Shaw retires or plays elsewhere from a hockey standpoint so color me biased in that regard.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Even though yea he makes too much, I realised Shaw last year would be the perfect fourth line center for us going forward(if he is not too pissed off about it). He's good on draws, has grit but can actually play hockey. He represents what an ideal modern fourth liner should be. He cannot do more than that but he can still be useful.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
A healthy Shaw is a pretty effective player. Could be a 15/15 guy in third line minutes if he plays smart. I know how much he is hated around here but i can see him having a good couple years if he stays away from the stupid stuff

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
He should take all of next year off for the sake of his long term health

We aren't going to be competitive and gives us another roster spot to try one of the kids or bring in a cheap vet that we can hopefully flip at the TDL

Reactions: badbrains

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
One of the most overrated players ever to wear the CH. He brings nothing to this organization.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Even though yea he makes too much, I realised Shaw last year would be the perfect fourth line center for us going forward(if he is not too pissed off about it). He's good on draws, has grit but can actually play hockey. He represents what an ideal modern fourth liner should be. He cannot do more than that but he can still be useful.
Perfect 4 Liner but even that is debatable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad