NFL: Andrew Luck retiring

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Who's siding with the employer? This is the same employer that flat out tanked for Luck in the first place anyway, and then didn't get him an offensive line till it was evidently too late.

But this isn't a player vs. team thing. Nor is this some dude who's just quitting cause he wants to smoke pot like Ricky Williams or retiring to go play in Russia like certain NHL players have done, he has had actual injury concerns. If you as a fan are faulting anyone who's been hurt as much as Luck has for walking away from the NFL because of injuries then you do need a priority shift. Yes the timing sucks but obviously this latest injury issue and his reaction to it told him it was time to step away.
A lot of people are, it's all over the place.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Who would they trade for? I think Brissett is their best option.

You're right, but they're probably gonna have to trade for somebody since they have basically nothing as their back up now.

Behind Brissett they have some kid from Temple and Chad Kelly.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
wouldn't surprise me if this retirement only lasted a season

sit out, get back to 100% for the first time in god knows how long, then come back

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I don’t think Luck will come back.
His body is broken and he doesn’t need another reason to play anymore.

Down the line, I’m sure he will feel long term affects so why prolong it? He wants to have a life later on..

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Same was said about Calvin Johnson and he hasn't come back either.

Well, it wouldn't have surprised anyone if he did. He just didn't. If someone retires, you likewise can't be surprised if he also stays retired.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Nah, I'd realize my money and fandom are secondary to a dude's decisions about his own health and quality of life. Booing a guy for stepping away from the game he loves due to health is low.

Hope Luck is happy with his decision and has a healthy life outside the game- dude's whicked smaht, if he wants he can return in a position that won't cripple him.
Lol, If you spent thousands on season tickets just to see Jacoby Brissett, it’s understandable to be a little upset about that.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Irsay definitely thinks Luck may change his mind.

Smart move by the Colts letting Luck keep his money. It might all just be about doing the right thing for everything he has done for the franchise but whether intended or not, it should also buy some goodwill if he reconsiders. Who knows if Calvin Johnson would've ever come back but the Lions also destroyed that relationship by taking his money.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Smart move by the Colts letting Luck keep his money. It might all just be about doing the right thing for everything he has done for the franchise but whether intended or not, it should also buy some goodwill if he reconsiders. Who knows if Calvin Johnson would've ever come back but the Lions also destroyed that relationship by taking his money.

It makes sense. Luck also could have just sat on the IR all season and collected a pay cheque so it's a fair compromise.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
As a Colts fan it's disappointing to see him retire. I knew he had injury concerns so this isn't a surprise. Hope the team plays well with Jacoby under center for them.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
qqrvsiffe2vsbjwcg3vr.jpg

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lol, If you spent thousands on season tickets just to see Jacoby Brissett, it’s understandable to be a little upset about that.

Again with the season tickets argument, I really doubt the majority of NFL fans base their season ticket purchases on who's under center for their team, or that the keyboard warriors who weren't even in the stadium and have no financial investment in the team criticizing this wouldn't have also booed, so the whole season tickets argument goes out the window anyway. It's just a stupid emotional reaction from fans, don't add any more to it than already exists.

They need to buy some goodwill back after they (likely) leaked the retirement announcement and got him booed yesterday.

Last edited:

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Again with the season tickets argument, I really doubt the majority of NFL fans base their season ticket purchases on who's under center for their team, or that the keyboard warriors who weren't even in the stadium and have no financial investment in the team criticizing this wouldn't have also booed, so the whole season tickets argument goes out the window anyway. It's just a stupid emotional reaction, don't add any more to it than already exists.
What? Yes it is a stupid emotional reaction. All Im saying is die hard Colts fans, some of them whom are season ticket holders are definitely more upset and less excited about the season today then they were yesterday.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
What? Yes it is a stupid emotional reaction. All Im saying is die hard Colts fans, some of them whom are season ticket holders are definitely more upset and less excited about the season today then they were yesterday.
I guess I just don’t understand why they are angry at Luck. Would their season be any better if he took the stage last night to announce his leg isn’t healing so he’s going on IR and missing the season? I get fans are mad about the circumstance, but Luck isn’t healthy. He can’t play.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I guess I just don’t understand why they are angry at Luck. Would their season be any better if he took the stage last night to announce his leg isn’t healing so he’s going on IR and missing the season? I get fans are mad about the circumstance, but Luck isn’t healthy. He can’t play.
I don’t see what you don’t understand, their franchise star quarterback just retired out of no where. Even if he couldn’t play to start the season because of health that doesn’t mean he’s not going to play and come back sometime in the middle of the year, or worst case he needs to sit most of the year but still fans know he’s coming back. It’s Andrew Luck, guy is a star that is irreplaceable. Fans being upset is totally reasonable, what Luck did isn’t wrong by any means but it still sucks if you’re a fan.

Reactions: SniperHF

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
I doubt your doubt
it's a big investment, and people are fickle-why pay to watch 2nd rate QB play?
The Browns had an explosion of interest in season tickets this offseason:
How Baker Mayfield changed Cleveland Browns ticket sales
I think it depends on the city. In Philly, there's like a 30 year waiting list. Most people would buy them and sell them to keep their rights but at this point in the year, you'd have to had already committed.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I hope Gottlieb takes a few weeks off, for his own sake. Going to get torn apart on the air. (and he deserves to)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad