NFL: Andrew Luck retiring

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
This is devastating for the Colts morale and especially some players that are on contract years. Especially a rookie player like Campbell or even TY have to be very disappointed, my buddy who is a HUGE colts fan shattered his phone to pieces. Sad day for the NFL

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
If people think that it's irrational for someone who has spent thousands on season tickets to react that way when you find out while attending a game you are FORCED to buy that your CEO, the only person that MATTERS, has stepped down.....then you expect fans to be robots.

Last edited:
Reactions: PanthersPens62

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Sucks, huge luck fan... i dont think people really know how good a qb he is. Id go as far to say if he didnt have health issues hed be in conversation for top 5-10 qb of all time.

But good on him, health is more important than money/records and what not. Hope he enjoys retirement and life after football. Was a great privledge to watch him over the years.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

European books didn't seem to pull it immediately. I managed to get £580 on under 9.5 at +120 when I got the push alert from the Athletic, which I think was about 10 minutes after the Schefter tweet. The new broke at about 3am here though, so that probably limits how much action they took on it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I really, really don't get why people are siding with the employer. Do they check on how players' lives will be affected when they abruptly cut or trade them? Uh, no.

Players don't owe anyone anything. It's their life and their bodies, if they want to quit they can do so whenever they want.

Who's siding with the employer? This is the same employer that flat out tanked for Luck in the first place anyway, and then didn't get him an offensive line till it was evidently too late.

But this isn't a player vs. team thing. Nor is this some dude who's just quitting cause he wants to smoke pot like Ricky Williams or retiring to go play in Russia like certain NHL players have done, he has had actual injury concerns. If you as a fan are faulting anyone who's been hurt as much as Luck has for walking away from the NFL because of injuries then you do need a priority shift. Yes the timing sucks but obviously this latest injury issue and his reaction to it told him it was time to step away.

Reactions: Voight

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I just want to be clear my only issue is the timing, while at the same time knowing he couldn't play that position without being all in.

In a perfect world he does this 1 month before the draft and doesn't tell anyone except the Colts so they could try to get a qb on the down low without everyone knowing about it. But it's not a perfect world.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I feel for Luck, it's too bad he was saddled with ignoramouses during his career, and as for Irsay and the Colts, sucks to be them.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I just want to be clear my only issue is the timing, while at the same time knowing he couldn't play that position without being all in.

In a perfect world he does this 1 month before the draft and doesn't tell anyone except the Colts so they could try to get a qb on the down low without everyone knowing about it. But it's not a perfect world.

If he did that, it would've just been Brett Favre where it's a whole summer/training camp of waiting for him to change his mind.

I'm not selling Brissett short just yet though. It's still a division without a clear favorite, and I think Frank Reich is going to have these guys ready to play. They're not going to go 2-14 like they did when they lost Manning. Curious if they're looking at Nate Sudfeld from the Eagles now they they have McCown.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
that franchise has slowly died a painful death and it couldn’t please me any more than it does

Yea, I'm happy that giant arse Irsay is getting screwed over.

I also don't feel bad at all, they had Manning for 14 years and instantly replaced him with another good QB.... that never happens. Tremendous luck and fortune.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Andrew Luck era, 2012-2019

screen-shot-2015-06-11-at-4-08-03-pm.png

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
It’s insane that Colts fans would boo him,
what's the appropriate reaction?
why wouldn't they boo him?
it's "not classy?" we're talking about the NFL here, what's classy about retiring two weeks before the season starts?
his teammates are probably saying worse stuff than the fans are, total lost season.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Colts will just luck into an elite QB prospect for the 3rd time (4th if you include Elway).

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Colts fans should be more mad at their brass for failing to protect Luck and keep him healthy than mad at Luck for finally having enough and being broken down

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

As far as why didn't he do this in the offseason, obviously he wasn't injured or trying to rehab an injury then and he'd just gotten through 2018 with a terrific season. It's only when he got to camp hurt/still injured and tried to rehab that all of his doubts and misgivings came to the fore and became the straw that broke the camel's back.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
what's the appropriate reaction?
why wouldn't they boo him?
it's "not classy?" we're talking about the NFL here, what's classy about retiring two weeks before the season starts?
his teammates are probably saying worse stuff than the fans are, total lost season.
Is it classier to spend the season on IR? Because that’s where he was heading.

Reactions: Voight

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The guy doesn't want to play any more. He doesn't really owe anything to anybody. Good luck to him in his retirement.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
The guy doesn't want to play any more. He doesn't really owe anything to anybody. Good luck to him in his retirement.

This. Doesn't matter about the timing, I'm sure he thought he might get the drive to play and continue through injuries during camp and it didn't materialize. Heck, nobody was sure if he would play and when.

Colts can trade for a QB now. Also will open up cap room for the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00