NFL: Andrew Luck retiring

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Kap will never play again and I think it's by his choice. If he fails, it proves that all of the people who said he couldn't play anymore where right and it would hurt his agenda. The % of him failing is higher than his chance of succeeding at this point. He has nothing to gain by chancing it.

Well at this point he's been away from the game for so long, who knows but there's a ton of politics involved. If you sign him, you gotta deal with and answer questions about the whole kneeling thing and that can be a distraction.

Also, Mike Penece and his family are from Indianapolis and there's a lot of people there who aren't into 'disrespecting' the flag by kneeling for the anthems so Indianapolis would be one of the less ideal destinations anyway.

I think the league knows or knew he could still play the distraction he would have caused doesn't outweigh the talent (low end starter/back up QB).

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I think it depends on the city. In Philly, there's like a 30 year waiting list. Most people would buy them and sell them to keep their rights but at this point in the year, you'd have to had already committed.
it's BS-you can get Eagles season tickets today by buying a PSL [they call it a SBL], plenty for sale:
SBLs For Sale
Danny Snyder claimed for years that they had 200k on their waiting list, the actual number was zero:
https://deadspin.com/the-sad-history-of-the-skins-bogus-season-ticket-waitin-1826841550

Reactions: Boris Zubov

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
Well at this point he's been away from the game for so long, who knows but there's a ton of politics involved. If you sign him, you gotta deal with and answer questions about the whole kneeling thing and that can be a distraction.

Also, Mike Penece and his family are from Indianapolis and there's a lot of people there who aren't into 'disrespecting' the flag by kneeling for the anthems so Indianapolis would be one of the less ideal destinations anyway.

I think the league knows or knew he could still play the distraction he would have caused doesn't outweigh the talent (low end starter/back up QB).
I wouldn't want the circus that he'd bring with him. I was looking at it from his perspective.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I wouldn't want the circus that he'd bring with him. I was looking at it from his perspective.

True, then I’d disageee with that. By all accounts it seems like he legitimately wants to play and believes he can impact a team but no one wants to give him that shot for reasons in my previous post.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
it's BS-you can get Eagles season tickets today by buying a PSL [they call it a SBL], plenty for sale:
SBLs For Sale
Danny Snyder claimed for years that they had 200k on their waiting list, the actual number was zero:
https://deadspin.com/the-sad-history-of-the-skins-bogus-season-ticket-waitin-1826841550
Didn't know that but if I paid $100k for my SBL for my 4 seats 5 rows up, I'm not losing my seats because of 1 year. What if the QB blew his knee out in game 3 of the preseason? It's completely different. He left them in a real bad spot. Between this and the year he was announced out for the year at the last minute, the STH have a right to be upset.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Absolving the team of responsibility is blatantly ignoring the history of his career. It's foolish to think that their negligence in protecting him didn't lead to him being over football.

Russell Wilson does not get beat up more. Again, luck has been pressured and hit more than any QB during his career.
No he hasn't lol Wilson and Cam have taken way more punishment Cam kept playing through all the injuries he sustained on top off it the dudes arm couldnt throw more than 10 yards the 2nd half of the season yet he played it till they were out.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I don’t see what you don’t understand, their franchise star quarterback just retired out of no where. Even if he couldn’t play to start the season because of health that doesn’t mean he’s not going to play and come back sometime in the middle of the year, or worst case he needs to sit most of the year but still fans know he’s coming back. It’s Andrew Luck, guy is a star that is irreplaceable. Fans being upset is totally reasonable, what Luck did isn’t wrong by any means but it still sucks if you’re a fan.
I understand why they are upset about their QB being unable to play. I do not understand why they are upset at Luck.

Reactions: MXD and Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I get why they’re upset at Luck, but over time they’ll get over it and understand.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
No he hasn't lol Wilson and Cam have taken way more punishment Cam kept playing through all the injuries he sustained on top off it the dudes arm couldnt throw more than 10 yards the 2nd half of the season yet he played it till they were out.
I'm 100% comfortable just giving you the point that Wilson gets hit more just because it's such a tangial argument. Wilson being hit more does not mean the colts were not complicit in today's result, because they absolutely are.

It doesn't even matter.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Nice of Irsay/Colts to let Luck keep his 24 million and not fight to recoup it.

Amazes me how many people are mad. Players puts his mental health first and its now a bad thing? Maybe he finally realized the endless cycle of rehab wasn't worth it in the end.

Reactions: fin8

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

Amazes me how many people are mad. Players puts his mental health first and its now a bad thing? Maybe he finally realized the endless cycle of rehab wasn't worth it in the end.

It's just another example of fans taking sports just way way too seriously, we see it every year with visiting fans getting beat up, stabbed, murdered, etc. I love my teams, and hope they succeed but in the end its still just entertainment, yeah I might be bummed when my team loses but the sun comes up tomorrow and you have to get back to the real world.

Way too many people have lost their grip on reality and what is actually important in life

Reactions: Voight and TB12

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
The Fans who bought season tickets should be allowed refunds if they choose to. The timing just seems so off. Why was this decision not made back in February or atleast early on in the Summer. But retiring 2 weeks prior to the start of the season. I can understand why fans are upset.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The Fans who bought season tickets should be allowed refunds if they choose to. The timing just seems so off. Why was this decision not made back in February or atleast early on in the Summer. But retiring 2 weeks prior to the start of the season. I can understand why fans are upset.
What if Luck had instead just gone on IR when his rehab work through the summer and training camp failed to improve his leg? Would fans deserve a refund then? Of course not. Texans fans aren't getting refunds because Miller blew out his knee a couple of days ago. Injuries are part of the game.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

I kind of wonder if this is also a nice way to avoid a fight over how his injury was treated by team doctors and trainers. We've seen other players sue and get money from their teams when team doctors screw something up. We don't know the details of what's going on with Luck, but we do know a lot of time has passed without him getting better.

Reactions: Amerika and Voight

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Luck isn't wrong, and neither are his detractors. IMO you honor the terms of a contract you voluntarily signed barring a medical professional determining you are physically and/or psychologically unable to perform your duties as stated in said contract.

Nothing fortifies an opinion quite like being ridiculed for having it. Just a friendly reminder to those who attack opposing views rather than engaging in civil discourse with the goal of understanding those differing stances.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Troy Aikman destroys Doug Gottlieb in one tweet.

Now there’s someone who’s qualified on what a QB goes through.

Especially coming from Aikman who also retired early due to health issues.

Do we actually know how much money Luck keeps? The reports merely said they made a deal.

Gruß,
BSHH

By the sounds of it he keeps every penny they've paid him, including his signing bonus.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Troy Aikman destroys Doug Gottlieb in one tweet.

Now there’s someone who’s qualified on what a QB goes through.

I'm sure whenever Steve Young is on TV again, he'll put something pretty impassioned out there considering the manner that the end of his career went down.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Luck isn't wrong, and neither are his detractors. IMO you honor the terms of a contract you voluntarily signed barring a medical professional determining you are physically and/or psychologically unable to perform your duties as stated in said contract.

Nothing fortifies an opinion quite like being ridiculed for having it. Just a friendly reminder to those who attack opposing views rather than engaging in civil discourse with the goal of understanding those differing stances.
The terms of his contract spell out how he can retire if he wants. By retiring, he's living up to the terms of his contract.

Reactions: Peanut Butter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad