NFL: Andrew Luck retiring

Boeser Fan

Jun 23, 2018
Given that he hurt his shoulder once while snowboarding and nobody ever has said how he hurt his calf this year prior to any football practices.......I think it would be interesting to know how this last injury happened.
Yes the Colts wouldn't recoup the 24 Million for a non football injury... Out too lunch.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Yea, I know. But it happened before training camp started. 2 of his 4 serious injuries happened OFF the football field.

"I'm not sayin'........"
8a8.gif

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The timing of Gronk's pressor yesterday was quite interesting. Really went into how injuries were just too mentally draining and putting him in a bad place.

Good that he opened up about it.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The timing of Gronk's pressor yesterday was quite interesting. Really went into how injuries were just too mentally draining and putting him in a bad place.

So good he opened up about it. My guess is there is a high % of Football players that are battling those thoughts on a daily basis. Seeing a star come out and talk is great to see.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So good he opened up about it. My guess is there is a high % of Football players that are battling those thoughts on a daily basis. Seeing a star come out and talk is great to see.
Yep. A lot of guys are afraid to admit they have issues and will continue to try fight through them. You get star players admitted that they are human and it makes it easier for the lessor known guys.

In the CFL Mike Reilly opened up about anxiety issues that he was having. How he thought he was going to die the one night. Went on to talk about how he finally realized he had to talk to someone about it. For those that don't know he was the MOP in 2017, so he would be considered one of the biggest stars in the game.

Both Gronk and Reilly are viewed as tough guys as well, which really should make it easier for guys to open up after seeing guys like that admit their issues to the public

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I find it disturbing how many people are seriously outraged over his retirement. People need to get a reality check. The guy literally cannot play due to injuries. If he could play he would. Lay off.
He could probably still play at some point. It is unlikely he is medically unable to ever play again. But, I agree people shouldn't be outraged. It's his life, and the NFL is a violent sport. He's a smart guy, with a range of interests, an elite degree, and a ton of money that he's earned. He's free to move on if he feels the constant rehab isn't worth the rewards of playing a game he loved.

We've seen the long-term impact of playing in the NFL. Earl Campbell can barley walk, countless NFL players have dealt with post-concussion syndrome and eventually CTE. You shouldn't be forced to leave the game a completely broken man because he still has years on his contract.

Reactions: robertmac43

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

So when do we get a bunch for complaints about how Gronk owes season ticket holders an apology for being too injured to play?

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Again, he is free to do as he pleases, but IMO you sign a professional sports contract for X amount of years with the agreement that you will play that sport for X years, barring a medical expert's assessment that you are unable to perform. If you no longer want to play, cool, but don't rub the fans' face in **** with the revelation that you've been cashing checks for the past 4 years with half-hearted efforts over that timen

Professional football is not a thing without butts in the stands, eyes on televisions and fans buying merch. Effectively invalidating fans who aren't pleased with Luck's decision is crass.

Vontae Davis ended his career during a game last year, and it was a story for all of 1 day. Why? Because he makes less than Luck and is far less integral to his team's success.

You make as much as Luck voluntarily signed on for, you assume greater responsibility.

He owes nothing to the fans, and the inverse is just as true.

His background also makes him far less sympathetic, as he isn't exactly a kid from impoverished Belle Glade who must play.

And waits until, what, 2 weeks from kick off for this epiphany?

Please... this is a fairly ignorant post. Take a look at the dozens if not hundreds of NFL players suffering from long term medical problems as a result of playing football. And guess what, you're on your own to flip the bills just a few years after retirement. There's a player out there right now, can recall his name, who has a go fund me page to help for his medical treatment after being diagnosed with concussion syndrome.

You're trying to tell us they have an obligation to the fans to play out their contracts and be damned with their health. The NFL treats their players like garbage.... just another example of the rapid decline of the sport the past 10 years.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
And if it had gotten too much and he had committed suicide, fans would blame him and scream "HE SHOULD HAVE SAID SOMETHING!"

Welp, he said something and this is how he's being treated. Boo'd off the field and mocked.

Mar 1, 2002
Welp, he said something and this is how he's being treated. Boo'd off the field and mocked.

He was only booed because of the timing, these people just found out ON THEIR PHONES about 2 minutes before halftime. You expect them to be totally rational and thought out? Or do you think they would still boo today? After seeing him break down, seeing he was in no WAY able to play football now. You think they would still boo?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
We all agree it was his decision to make, but to me it comes off as soft and bush league, especially since he waited till the last minute. Plenty of players have played through a ton of injuries. Eli Manning has gotten his ass handed to him for years, Drew Bledsoe nearly died and played another 5 years. I can completely understand the fans being pissed

So if he has mentally checked out, and his body is giving him signs to stop he is supposed to do the man up thing and fake it and continued playing.
I seriously doubt Bledsoe took the pounding Luck did. I
They are not robots. Everyone reaches the point where they cant take it anymore. He is not the first to retire early and wont be the last.
Fans pissed off, fans mad they drafted Luck on fantasy football? Dem the breaks.
If his body is betraying him he doesn’t owe the fans squat and keep playing.

member 157595

So if he has mentally checked out, and his body is giving him signs to stop he is supposed to do the man up thing and fake it and continued playing.
They are not robots. Everyone reaches the point where they cant take it anymore. He is not the first to retire early and wont be the last.
Fans pissed off, fans mad they drafted Luck on fantasy football? Dem the breaks.

If I were an NFL player that would be the icing on my retirement cake. Nothing better than trolling a bunch of losers that live vicariously through athletes.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Its more then fair for people to be annoyed or even upset to degree on timing he made decision

As time goes on that will subside/dissipate

If he has been thinking of this for a while now its more then fair to say he should have not waited until week 3 of preseason to make it

Before draft/FA should have been when he made decision

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Thats why you wait until 3/4 days before the regular season to draft.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Its more then fair for people to be annoyed or even upset to degree on timing he made decision

If he has been thinking of this for a while now its more then fair to say he should have not waited until week 3 of preseason to make it

It likely wasn’t a easy decision to make. This was his life and he had to make a decision that is best for him. Because 100 percent guarantee that the Colts would get rid of him as soon as he started to suck. He doesn’t owe anyone anything. He has to do what is best for him and him only. He has to look out for himself in this situation because no one else will.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

The prognosis of his LBI at that time was supposed to heal by training camp. Less than 2 weeks left in camp and he had not practiced with the first team.

Colts held the 3rd puck in 2018. Could have taken a QB but opted for Nelson and 3 extra 2nd round picks instead.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Please... this is a fairly ignorant post. Take a look at the dozens if not hundreds of NFL players suffering from long term medical problems as a result of playing football. And guess what, you're on your own to flip the bills just a few years after retirement. There's a player out there right now, can recall his name, who has a go fund me page to help for his medical treatment after being diagnosed with concussion syndrome.

You're trying to tell us they have an obligation to the fans to play out their contracts and be damned with their health. The NFL treats their players like garbage.... just another example of the rapid decline of the sport the past 10 years.
that's cool but nobody wants to pay the NFL in millions for players that make millions don't realize how good of an opportunity they get compared to your average person. Cool they have medical injuries but they also got to enjoy times other people will never be able to get so whatever excuses people have about people with long term injuries and health issues is garbage imo people play football for FUN with no money at all knowing you can get pretty hurt. That's the problem when you draft a football player that's already rich and isn't all that interested in playing the game as much as other players want too.

NFL treats their players like garbage yet continues to make protection rules every year. If anything all the protection and flags flying everywhere are the main reason the game is somewhat(but not really) dying as entertainment. People are allowed to be mad at whatever they want let people complain about someone retiring its their own opinion.

Last edited:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I think he will be back in the future to be honest. He will take a year off to travel and then come back in 2020.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Colts would be better off to tank for 2 years and go for Lawrence. They've gotta always have their generational QB prospect.
Sadly, they can't.

Tbis season's edition of the Colts has 0 glaring weaknesses, none. 2 pro-bowl TEs, 3 good receivers, top 5 OL, good defensive line, bunch of great corners, Darius Leonard, etc etc.

Even without Luck, they should be a 8-8/ 9-7 team.

Luckily they've been piling picks and producing NFL talent for 3 years now.

I have faith in Brissett, but let's assume he craps the bed next season.. Colts have the assets to trade up for Herbert or Fromm. There's 0 chance Lawrence ends up in Indy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->