NFL: Andrew Luck retiring

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Look, this clearly ins't gonna go anywhere. We disagree; is what it is. I wouldn't boo, but I'm not gonna fault fans for doing it in the heat of the moment. Especially when they got slow rolled on a Luck injury before.

And comparing a sudden in game knee injury to his retirement that came straight out of left field 2 weeks before season start, is laughable.

You said fans should be mad because “now their tickets are worthless”. What the hell difference does that make? They could become worthless for myriad reasons. The fans that got freebies have no right to boo then, right? I don’t really get your argument.

Agree to disagree, fine. It’s sports fandom and it’s heat of the moment, I get it. But it’s a really bad look, all I’m saying.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Tough for Luck to quit the game he's played for the last 10/15 years of his life, especially with a father who worked for the NFL.

I give him a ton of credit for putting his mental and physical health first. Not enough players/people do that in general.

I also learned today that Josh Freeman is only 1 year older than him despite entering the league 3 years before Luck.

Reactions: trostol

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Just peeking into this news and thread now. But didn't a former or current teammate or some random player state that Luck's career was over before last season?

With him going through this current mystery injury I imagine that was close to happening more than people realized.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I really, really don't get why people are siding with the employer. Do they check on how players' lives will be affected when they abruptly cut or trade them? Uh, no.

Players don't owe anyone anything. It's their life and their bodies, if they want to quit they can do so whenever they want.

Reactions: seafoam

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is crazy. Terrible timing for the Colts (although, when losing a franchise QB, is their ever good timing?). Don't think you can blame Luck too much for the timing though if this was prompted by the recent ankle/calf issue. How uch of their off-season really changes if Luck did this in February? Maybe they trade up, but they weren't in a great position to get a good rookie QB, and maybe someone like Funchess doesn't sign their for one year with the hope of getting good stats with a top 5 QB.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
You said fans should be mad because “now their tickets are worthless”. What the hell difference does that make? They could become worthless for myriad reasons. The fans that got freebies have no right to boo then, right? I don’t really get your argument.

Agree to disagree, fine. It’s sports fandom and it’s heat of the moment, I get it. But it’s a really bad look, all I’m saying.
Just let them boo people who are butt hurt about fans being mad that the season is already over before it even started for the 2nd time in 3 seasons have the right to do what they want because ultimately fans are the people who drive the league otherwise the owners would have nothing. Its not a bad look at all...the bad look comes from the Colts organization who have shunned their fans out several times especially their owner who egged on that the Luck would start 2 seasons ago to ensure that fans would buy season tickets I would be furious if I was a Colts fan and the owner was pulling that shit before the season. At least in Buffalo I have never seen an owner shameless promote season ticket buys by lying.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The Colts have been to multiple Super Bowls and have won one since moving to Indianapolis. A team that arrived in the middle of the night, no less.

Meanwhile, the team I cheer for, the Detroit Lions have won one playoff game since 1957. Indianapolis, with Andrew Luck, have won multiple playoff games.

Any cries from Indianapolis fans fall on deaf ears to me.

That said, I do feel his teammates have the right to feel whatever they may be feeling at this time the way it played out.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
How’s that any different than if Luck blew out his knee? Or if the team stunk with Luck playing at full health?

Fans booing have no clue what Luck is dealing with. Not on any high horse, but seems like a pretty trashy thing to do to one of the best players to have ever donned a Colts uniform.

I think these are two separate topics:

Fans at the game booing Luck, not classy and wrong.

People/fans criticizing Luck’s retirement timing is a legitimate discussion topic that isn’t changed by the fan behavior at the game.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I have a feeling the Colts knew this was coming for a while. Luck will take the heat from fans and the media for supposedly leaving them in the lurch but I believe Indy knew this was a real possibility for a while.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
As people have said Indy isn't totally screwed. I mean, it sucks ass to lose your cornerstone QB, but Indy is in a select bunch where their backup QB gives them a shot to stay afloat.

In the year Luck was shut down for his shoulder, Jacoby Brissett was called on to essentially carry the load for the entire season in his second season in the NFL. His stat line actually wasn't half bad given how awful the Colts roster was and the circumstance:

2017 Brissett; 276/489 (58.8% completion rate), 3089 yards, 13 TD/7 INT, 6.6 YPA. Tack on 260 yards rushing too

Promising numbers for a guy essentially thrown into the fire. Given the Colts roster is way better now, this guy might surprise people.

Luck chose his health over the game, and i don't blame him. He made millions, has a stupidly valuable degree in architecture from Stanford. I honestly think you won't ever see him come back.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Doug Gottlieb with the most stupidest take of all time.
Let's see how he feels when he's been through multiple injuries like Luck has...

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I think these are two separate topics:

Fans at the game booing Luck, not classy and wrong.

People/fans criticizing Luck’s retirement timing is a legitimate discussion topic that isn’t changed by the fan behavior at the game.

The timing is bush league, IMO. At least when Barry Sanders had enough he did it prior to training camp. No one really even got that upset because Lions fans understood. He was relatively healthy too and never cared about stats.

Luck is a different story after being beat up for years due to mismanagement. His shoulder is apparently ground meat. So much there were rumors last year that he was done. Comes back and proves everyone wrong but is now dealing with more injuries that have been more secretive than the Patriots. Plus whatever mental taxation he is going through.

I have to imagine there was something behind the scenes with ownership or in his personal life that officially pushed Luck over the edge. If not this should have been done months ago at the very least. And that is something we'll likely never know.

Fans, of all teams, can be nothing but mouth breathers. That said, the way this broke down was odd to say the least. I guess I'll give them a pass due to that. But if they want to continue being angry then point the blame at ownership and a former GM that helped create this situation.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The timing is bush league, IMO. At least when Barry Sanders had enough he did it prior to training camp. No one really even got that upset because Lions fans understood. He was relatively healthy too and never cared about stats.

Luck is a different story after being beat up for years due to mismanagement. His shoulder is apparently ground meat. So much there were rumors last year that he was done. Comes back and proves everyone wrong but is now dealing with more injuries that have been more secretive than the Patriots. Plus whatever mental taxation he is going through.

I have to imagine there was something behind the scenes with ownership or in his personal life that officially pushed Luck over the edge. If not this should have been done months ago at the very least. And that is something we'll likely never know.

Fans, of all teams, can be nothing but mouth breathers. That said, the way this broke down was odd to say the least. I guess I'll give them a pass due to that. But if they want to continue being angry then point the blame at ownership and a former GM that helped create this situation.

I think these go hand in hand. The constant cycle of rehab, go back out there, get hurt, rehab again would wear down even the strongest of wills.

I'd be willing to bet whatever that ankle tweak was more than what was being led on, Luck saw another long period of rehabbing ahead, and probably wondered if the cycle would repeat itself for the umpteenth time and said "**** this i'm done"

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
For the funnies, OJ Simpson drafted Andrew Luck in his fantasy draft.
The replies to that tweet (and all of his tweets) are beyond hilarious!

Meanwhile, I feel the pain of the Colts fans. We went thru this when Ricky Williams suddenly retired right before training camp, though his reasons were wayyyyyy different than Luck's. It sucks because the team has/had no chance to acquire a quality replacement. And for the Dolphins, this puts yet another team in the market for Tua & the other top QB prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad