NFL: Andrew Luck retiring

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
The terms of his contract spell out how he can retire if he wants. By retiring, he's living up to the terms of his contract.

Again, he is free to do as he pleases, but IMO you sign a professional sports contract for X amount of years with the agreement that you will play that sport for X years, barring a medical expert's assessment that you are unable to perform. If you no longer want to play, cool, but don't rub the fans' face in shit with the revelation that you've been cashing checks for the past 4 years with half-hearted efforts over that timen

Professional football is not a thing without butts in the stands, eyes on televisions and fans buying merch. Effectively invalidating fans who aren't pleased with Luck's decision is crass.

Vontae Davis ended his career during a game last year, and it was a story for all of 1 day. Why? Because he makes less than Luck and is far less integral to his team's success.

You make as much as Luck voluntarily signed on for, you assume greater responsibility.

He owes nothing to the fans, and the inverse is just as true.

His background also makes him far less sympathetic, as he isn't exactly a kid from impoverished Belle Glade who must play.

And waits until, what, 2 weeks from kick off for this epiphany?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Again, he is free to do as he pleases, but IMO you sign a professional sports contract for X amount of years with the agreement that you will play that sport for X years, barring a medical expert's assessment that you are unable to perform. If you no longer want to play, cool, but don't rub the fans' face in **** with the revelation that you've been cashing checks for the past 4 years with half-hearted efforts over that timen

Professional football is not a thing without butts in the stands, eyes on televisions and fans buying merch. Effectively invalidating fans who aren't pleased with Luck's decision is crass.

Vontae Davis ended his career during a game last year, and it was a story for all of 1 day. Why? Because he makes less than Luck and is far less integral to his team's success.

You make as much as Luck voluntarily signed on for, you assume greater responsibility.

He owes nothing to the fans, and the inverse is just as true.

His background also makes him far less sympathetic, as he isn't exactly a kid from impoverished Belle Glade who must play.

And waits until, what, 2 weeks from kick off for this epiphany?
His ankle injury goes back to March or April so it’s now at least 4 months and he was not expected to start the season.

Who knows what the medical staff told him about the recovery time. Maybe this ankle was the final straw as he doesn’t feel like it’s getting any better since it occurred.

If the ankle was fine right now maybe he continues. But it’s not and no finite timeline of when it will be ok to go.

Timing does suck but unlikely that he planned it this way. Just the constant rehab and injuries keeping him out just killed his desire to keep going.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I mean it's his life and he can do whatever he wants and if this is what he wants, then good for him.

But from an optics standpoint, retiring right before the season doesn't look good. Why not just go on IR and then announce this in January?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I mean it's his life and he can do whatever he wants and if this is what he wants, then good for him.

But from an optics standpoint, retiring right before the season doesn't look good. Why not just go on IR and then announce this in January?
Might be that he didn’t want to deal with the media and the constant questions about his health. Look at what he had to do due to Shefter

This way he can rehab in peace. Can go out of Indy and away from all this noise.

Mar 1, 2002
His ankle injury goes back to March or April so it’s now at least 4 months and he was not expected to start the season.

Given that he hurt his shoulder once while snowboarding and nobody ever has said how he hurt his calf this year prior to any football practices.......I think it would be interesting to know how this last injury happened.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

colts would've lost 21M in cap space that luck was set to make this year from his salary and roster bonuses. and now they can use that money next year.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

If we're just going by optics, collecting $20M+ when he knows he's retiring and having his injury storyline hang over Brissett and the Colts season seems a lot worse than making the decision now so everyone can move on.

Reactions: Boeser Fan

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
How is it the Colts fault he doesn't like football?

Oh jesus christ. He's barely been sacked 2 times a game in his career. He was sacked the FEWEST times in the NFL last year. FEWEST.

He just doesn't like the game.

Who is siding with owners? I am just pointing out he doesn't love football. Pressures are one thing, Russell Wilson gets beat up more. RB's get beat up more. WR's get beat up more. He just doesn't like football anymore.

He's made millions and shouldn't play if he doesn't like it anymore. More respect for him that he's leaving.
Weird. Why comment on football in such an assertive manner when you don't understand even bare basics like the importance of pressures and hits moreso than sacks in a conversation like this?

As for the last comment.

One QB gets hit more. And? Sample size of 1 is meaningless. That's common sense

They both play the game differently, they have taken different hits,. When comparing to guys at other positions, they have different body types and again they take different types of hits. There's a reason we don't see many running backs at the height, weight and musculature that a normal QB has. Even when built like tanks, running backs have notoriously short lived careers compared to many other positions. Almost everything you are posting suggests you really don't understand the sport very well. Doesn't stop you from being incredibly abrasive though as if you're an expert.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This reminds me of NCAA hockey players not signing with their teams. Fans are all up in arms when a player decides to go elsewhere.

Yet if the team shuns you by not signing you or releases you no one cares.

Reactions: OmniCube

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Surprisingly, Cowherd had a pretty nuanced take on this;

"Money didn't make the decision, but it sure makes it easier"

I agree with him that Luck won't be the last QB we see retire long before his shelf life expires. With more mobile, running QBs popping up (Newton, Russ, Jackson, Mahomes, etc) or at the very least guys who can run occasionally, you're going to see more injuries pile up. Hell, Cam himself already has a pretty lengthy list of injuries and he's only been in the league about a year longer than Luck was.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Surprisingly, Cowherd had a pretty nuanced take on this;

"Money didn't make the decision, but it sure makes it easier"

I agree with him that Luck won't be the last QB we see retire long before his shelf life expires. With more mobile, running QBs popping up (Newton, Russ, Jackson, Mahomes, etc) or at the very least guys who can run occasionally, you're going to see more injuries pile up. Hell, Cam himself already has a pretty lengthy list of injuries and he's only been in the league about a year longer than Luck was.

People should also keep in mind that there is pain and there is injury. One thing to rehab an injury but if you’re constantly dealing with pain, you can only tolerate it for a certain amount of time before you finally say it’s not worth it.

As for QBs retiring early, wouldn’t shock me to see fewer guys hit 12-15 years. $30 mill is the going rate now for a starter.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Nice of Irsay/Colts to let Luck keep his 24 million and not fight to recoup it.

Amazes me how many people are mad. Players puts his mental health first and its now a bad thing? Maybe he finally realized the endless cycle of rehab wasn't worth it in the end.

We all agree it was his decision to make, but to me it comes off as soft and bush league, especially since he waited till the last minute. Plenty of players have played through a ton of injuries. Eli Manning has gotten his ass handed to him for years, Drew Bledsoe nearly died and played another 5 years. I can completely understand the fans being pissed

Mar 1, 2002
When comparing to guys at other positions, they have different body types and again they take different types of hits. There's a reason we don't see many running backs at the height, weight and musculature that a normal QB has. Even when built like tanks, running backs have notoriously short lived careers compared to many other positions. Almost everything you are posting suggests you really don't understand the sport very well. Doesn't stop you from being incredibly abrasive though as if you're an expert.

My comments were in no way abrasive. Didn't say anything negative about any other posters, unlike you.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That snowboard story is such BS. Doctors already said years ago that the injury Luck suffered there was a minor AC Join sprain and in no way related to the other shoulder issue.

People are just looking for excuses to blame him at this point

Reactions: Boeser Fan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We all agree it was his decision to make, but to me it comes off as soft and bush league, especially since he waited till the last minute. Plenty of players have played through a ton of injuries. Eli Manning has gotten his ass handed to him for years, Drew Bledsoe nearly died and played another 5 years. I can completely understand the fans being pissed
Last minute? Luck wasn't even expected to play week 1. No firm timeline of when he was even going to suit up for the Colts. Could have been Sep, Oct, Nov, or Dec. He couldn't pass a physical today with his ankle or whatever is bothering him now.

It's his decision to decide how much pain he wants to play through now, and then endure for the rest of his life. His call. Fans need to deal with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->