Confirmed with Link: Andrew Ference 14th Captain of the Edmonton Oilers

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Honestly, probably the best choice.

Likely a dream come true for a local kid as well.

The C looks good and natural on a #21 jersey.

Expatriate

Aug 3, 2007
Saint John
I like Ference as Captain. He comes from a winning organization, he's a veteran, and he can take the pressure as a Bridge Captain until the Oilers figure out which of the kids is ready to carry the torch. I think it will mean good things.

Thought Hall was going to get the C but this is the correct move. There is a lot of pressure on the kids this year to win and none of them need the extra pressure of being the captain.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
As a kid, Andrew Ference did odd jobs for neighbour Petr Klima in exchange for visiting #oilers practice. Pretty cool he's now captain.

Haha wow, that's pretty neat!

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Already on Wikipedia as our captain.

And what does #oilers mean? How can that fit into a sentence.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Andrew Ference is going to be an amazing Captain for you guys. I'm going to miss him so much in Boston.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
The fact that he hasn't played a game for the Oinklers but has been named the captain shows his quality I think.

Also in some ways hard for anyone on the team the last few years to have a claim to the captaincy, given how poorly the team has played.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
This is why I'm glad to have Ference here. Everyone I've met and talked to from Boston has told me how lucky we are to have him.
He was here for 6 years and he was nothing short of a warrior on the ice and a fantastic ambassador for this city. He's special. Please treat him well for us.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Best news out of all this is that I got it right on the Nostradamus Thread! :laugh:

metallicat

Aug 9, 2003
Edson, AB
Visit site
I didn't think it was going to be Hall based on what we've heard about Hall from tc (getting beat by Smyth in fitness drills) and from the way Eakins has been talking (nothing specific).

What I hope now, is that this doesn't create any bad blood between Hall and the Oilers.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
i think people make to much about who is a captain on hockey teams, i don't believe it really matters very much at all
I agree it's not a very big deal, as long as Ference is liked around the room. Picking the wrong guy can easily create a locker room divide.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I didn't think it was going to be Hall based on what we've heard about Hall from tc (getting beat by Smyth in fitness drills) and from the way Eakins has been talking (nothing specific).

What I hope now, is that this doesn't create any bad blood between Hall and the Oilers.

Assuming Hall and Eberle remain A's then I doubt there is an issue at all. Take away the letter from Hall entirely when he's clearly the straw that stirs the drink offensively over the last 3 years and we will likely have a problem IMO.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Should be a good veteran leader that can stabilize the top 4 and provide the club with a winning culture. Great move by the Oilers organization. Hopefully this works out and you guys make the playoffs this year.

Cheers!

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
Assuming Hall and Eberle remain A's then I doubt there is an issue at all. Take away the letter from Hall entirely when he's clearly the straw that stirs the drink offensively over the last 3 years and we will likely have a problem IMO.

I can't see Ference having any issues handing over captaincy to somebody else if the Oilers think Hall or whoever is ready for it, if this situation was to occur at all. Unusual albeit not impossible. He doesn't exactly have a big ego and is always a team first type of guy.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Not really a fan of this move. You would think they'd give it to the guy who played like a Captain (Hall) last year.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
Bruins fan here. Just came here to say what a great choice by the oilers.
Captain or not Ference is a natural leader and a winner, wearing the C is always special and this is well deserved.
Good luck!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad