Confirmed with Link: Andrew Ference 14th Captain of the Edmonton Oilers

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
The guy has got the pedigree for sure. I'd agree that he's the most qualified to wear the "C" and it really helps that he has the same outlook on the game as Eakins does.

The only thing odd about him getting the "C" is that he hasn't played a game on the team yet but that's not all that uncommon.

Very happy with the choice.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Love it. This guy learned from guys like Lemieux, prime Iginla and Zdeno Chara how to be a leader. He knows what it takes to win in this league.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
And for people wondering why no veteran Oiler was named. Well, take a look at our record the past 7 years and then ask that same question.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Saw the announcement on FB. The comments make me ashamed to be an Oilers fan.

This. I'm a Hall guy too, but it's not like we just handed Patrick O'Sullivan the captaincy or anything. Ference has the character and leadership skills as well as the resume to back it up, not to mention he's been involved in the community the day he stepped into the city. These same people trashing Ference want Ales "Allen Iverson" Hemsky or Ryan "Sign me or I go to Calgary" Smyth as captain.:help: I'm not sure if it was sarcasm or not, but I think I even saw someone say Potter for captain.:facepalm:

Ference will be a stopgap captain until one of the kids steps up and is ready to take on the responsibility. Much like how Fogolin acted as a transition captain for Gretzky and Messier. I remember someone saying leaders will be leaders regardless of whether or not they have a letter on their chest, and I fully believe that statement to be true. Thank god casual fans don't run the team.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Never mind if Ference is a good choice or not! Some bruins fans popping in and tell us that what a great choice and what a great bruin he was, well he isnt a great oiler yet and hasnt even played a Nhl game for us.

A captain to me is also someone who the town and the fans can relate to, not someone whos name is strongly related to another Nhl team.

Gets a C because he is a fitness freak like Eakins, Hamilton and Acton gets spots from relationsship with Eakins. Better the team doesnt bust this year, Eakins will be runned out of town faster then you pronounce "change of culture".

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Great choice. I didn't think he would get it but i am glad he did.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Hall would have been perfectly fine, but Ference is a good choice.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Tell me why Ference is a better choice then Smid? Hes Canadian?:sarcasm: He did not earn his C in a Oiler jersey!
New coach comes in and has to appoint a new captain based on training camp. Ference stands out completely for him it's a no brained. The team seems to love him already and Ference is already doing a bunch in the community.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
Never mind if Ference is a good choice or not! Some bruins fans popping in and tell us that what a great choice and what a great bruin he was, well he isnt a great oiler yet and hasnt even played a Nhl game for us.

A captain to me is also someone who the town and the fans can relate to, not someone whos name is strongly related to another Nhl team.

Gets a C because he is a fitness freak like Eakins, Hamilton and Acton gets spots from relationsship with Eakins. Better the team doesnt bust this year, Eakins will be runned out of town faster then you pronounce "change of culture".

Ference has done more for this town in one month than Hall has in his entire career. So that's a moot point. His November project thing is huge, as it embraces Edmonton's unique river valley while motivating people to be active, with him personally as equals. Not to mention the other extra community outreach programs he does, like school trips. This guy was made to be a captain.

Oct 30, 2011
Ference has done more for this town in one month than Hall has in his entire career. So that's a moot point. His November project thing is huge, as it embraces Edmonton's unique river valley while motivating people to be active, with him personally as equals. Not to mention the other extra community outreach programs he does, like school trips. This guy was made to be a captain.

Agreed.

Hall will eventually get more involved in the community, but for now, he still needs to grow up a bit.

I also think Ference will get more respect from the refs.

I do find it silly when they do the ceremonial puck-drop and there's a defenseman there. :P

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Tell me why Ference is a better choice then Smid? Hes Canadian?:sarcasm: He did not earn his C in a Oiler jersey!

For me, Smid and Ference were the only two legit choices for the C. Smid has been one of the main voices in the locker room for the last year and a half ever since Horcoff really lost his pull in the room. Although, I can understand them not giving the C to Laddy, because he's the first guy to start yelling at the team when they aren't playing well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad